Jack Hughes on pace to have worst rookie season by a 1st overall forward since Patrik Stefan in 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
Hughes has actually looked good so far this season.

No one on the Devils is currently playing well and it comes down to the awful system the coach was running there.

Lets at least wait to see how he looks under an NHL caliber coach, which might unfortunately have to wait until next season.

Reactions: HBK27

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Laughed at the comparison on some national sporting channels that he was comparable to Connor McDavid.

Zach Parise level prospect at best in his absolute prime.

It was delusional fans that thought that. He wasn't even in the Matthews/Eichel tier of prospects, it was US media hyping him up.

Reactions: Dominance

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Considering how good is brother is I think it's almost safe to say he'll figure it out but he definitely needs an Elias Pettersson like offseason in terms of weight room training. He shouldn't be in the NHL this year, but NJ thought they could compete for a playoff spot after the Subban trade/Hall impending UFA status etc. so they rushed him. Chill with the worst ever tho.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Imagine if his nightmare didn’t become a reality and if the Avs didn’t get screwed in the lottery again.

Hughes next to MacKinnon/Rantanen or Kadri/Landeskog.

Poor kid.

new jersey sucks but they have talent to play him with if they want to EA sports franchise mode their nhl lineup

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
Everyone on the Devils is offensively challenged, he'll be fine

Steven Stamkos first 24 GP : 11 pts
Jack Eichel first 24 GP : 12 pts
Taylor Hall first 24 GP : 12 pts
Nathan MacKinnon first 24 GP : 15 pts
Nico Hischier first 24 GP : 18 pts

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
So many players and careers written off on HF of late.....

To be fair I thought Hughes would have more points at this stage but I also thought the Devils would be good and they have been a dumpster fire. He's going to need some time and that's fine.

Reactions: Dominance

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
He will be fine. Probably should have had another year to develop before making the jump to the NHL, but for some reason#1 picks are automatically pushed up right away. I've only seen 4 or 5 of his games, and you can see that the ability is there, give it some time.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Wait until the end of the season pace doesn't mean much at this point. Rookies will usually start to play better at some point.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well Patrick Kane, Sidney Crosby, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Nico Hischier didn’t need that excuse, they were all about the same size and weight that Jack Hughes is at now and they dominated the NHL in their rookie years or at least doubled Jack Hughes’ production

The only one of those who was JH's size was P Kane. And he played wing where it is easier for a small player. He may be on a 35 pt pace but I'll bet he ends the season with more than that. Hughes is playing on a very weak team. There isn't much support for him there.

Have a little patience. Just a little - and wait 2-3 years before you start talking bust.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
It would be great to re-visit this at the end of the season where all things would be equal but we have a good enough sample size now to have an idea of how J Hughes is doing in comparison with the rest
I disagree. The sample size is the first 30 games for an undeveloped teenager coming straight from Juniors.

Why don't we look at the first 30 games of players who go straight from Juniors. Not that hard to do.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I. D.o.n.t even bother reading your posts but If Hughes is having a bad season so us kakko. No two ways about it
I haven't said otherwise? How can it be so difficult to stay on topic, though...
You’d think you would just stay away from these kinds of topics seeing as both Hughes and Kakko are having very similar starts to their careers.
Interesting. I still don't get why you want to talk off-topic so badly? Create a thread for that if you want.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Over hyped. He will be a good player eventually, but he was definitely over hyped.

Could see this coming from a mile away. He’s borderline NHL ready.

give him a few years then reevaluate

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You’d think you would just stay away from these kinds of topics seeing as both Hughes and Kakko are having very similar starts to their careers.
Interesting, except I have opinions on every NHL player. I still don't get why you want to talk off-topic so badly? Create a thread for that if you want.
oh god thats his line barf

thats terrible give him someone good
He -was- with good players. He even got an opportunity on the first line.

There's a reason he no longer is.
Line Combinations - Frozen Tools

According to this his most frequent line-mates at Even strength are Hall and Palmieri...
Even so, players like Hughes usually need more time than most to adjust to the game style. I predict a much better second half to the season, finishing aroun 50~ points
These players usually adjust on the wing. That, by the way, is what I was saying from the beginning - that Hughes should be on the wing, not center.
Patrik Stefan...that's so funny that Atlanta traded for the 1st overall pick under the condition they had to take him and not one of the Sedins.
That's also why I say that "Canucks have never drafted 1st" is a false narrative. The 1st overall pick's owner had a clause that they weren't allowed to pick either Sedin. Canucks actually picked #1 and #2 that year, on practical terms.

Last edited:
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I mean, let's talk about Joe Thornton here...

yeah, I get it is a good thread to speculate of draft number ones. But he is very far from being mature fysically. I find the negative natural, and a bit stupid. Jack is not a finnished player at 18. Everybody is not as NHL ready as Sidney Crosby.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I didn't pay attention to him much as a prospect but can someone enlighten me on why he didn't go to college either last year or this year?

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Move him to wing.

Get his confidence up not having to defend against all of these bigger centremen in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad