Jack Hughes on pace to have worst rookie season by a 1st overall forward since Patrik Stefan in 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Well Patrick Kane, Sidney Crosby, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Nico Hischier didn’t need that excuse, they were all about the same size and weight that Jack Hughes is at now and they dominated the NHL in their rookie years or at least doubled Jack Hughes’ production

yes he's terrible. No future. No need to candy coat it. He's so bad that you wouldn't take him on the team you root for in return for a seventh round pick. What a bust. Thanks for making another thread dumpling on the most underperforming team of the season. Really great work and very creative since this isn't at all what should be covered in the Hughes prospect board thread. No, it's important to just kick the entire fanbase while they are down. Really great stuff here.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I didn't pay attention to him much as a prospect but can someone enlighten me on why he didn't go to college either last year or this year?

He just turned 18 in May - not sure how it would've worked for a 17-year old to go to college last season. Would think he would've had to do something fast paced to at least graduate high school a year early. And it's debatable if being part of the USNTDP or a top college program would've been better for his development or not.

As for this season, even if his numbers versus previous #1 overall draft picks is disappointing, he's still clearly an NHL player. He's still tied for 6th on the team in scoring and should only get better as the season goes on. There's no one "right" way to develop a player, so being in the NHL for him this year versus college could be better long-term, who really knows. Financially it's also a huge advantage for him to be in the NHL as it gets him to his 2nd contract and UFA a year earlier.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Gaudette + Vancouver's next 3 first rounders for Jack Hughes

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
If you're going to compare him to overall seasons, an "on pace" comparison isn't really fair. You should look at the first 30 games of all 1st overalls. You probably want to limit that further by only looking at 1st overall selections that went immediately to the NHL. There's obviously some adjustment period of going straight from juniors to the NHL.

This is a good point. For instance Stamkos got off to a horrible start with only 4 goals and 14 points in his first 40 games, then had 19 goals and 34 points in his final 39 games. He similarly started with lower minutes for a terrible coach on a bad team

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Jack should switch to defense like his brother bc he sure as hell cant play center. Quinn actually doing pretty good even though he is tiny as well.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
I thought it was very obvious very early in the year that he wasn't NHL ready.

Weast

May 16, 2011
The Devils should have decided to let him play in the WJC, the confidence boost alone would have been worth it.

Reactions: Fixxer

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i miss Skoula. Fun fact: i once bought one of his signed sticks (for $100) for a Wild charity auction because it was the only one that didn't have a bid and i felt sorry for him. I doubt Jack Hughes will ever have to worry about his signed gear not selling at auction.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
For the guys saying size matters,
Pat Kane was 5ft9, 160lbs his first season. Very small overall.
Elias Pettersson was 6ft2, 170lbs as a rookie. He was a bean stalk.
Jack Hughes is 5ft10, 170lbs. He's small, but stockier than both guys above.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
haha. I hadn't heard from Martin Skoula in years. Last night, Marc Denis (play by play) was talking of being with the Avs at the same time as Skoula. lol

I took my Generational Poise and turned it into generational posting.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
A year or two with Puljujärvi in Kärpät (FEL) would do good for his short term self-confidence and longer term career prospects.

As for balancing note, that same treatment would do good for Kaapo too, and when they would form Kärpät 1st line together they would likely break several league records, when performing with unprecedented level of line synergy.

Against grown men.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Jack should switch to defense like his brother bc he sure as hell cant play center. Quinn actually doing pretty good even though he is tiny as well.
Quinn doing good? This is a new opinion from you.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
What happened to him?
Didn’t HFBoards say he was gonna be better than Matthews?

TDS
He might be one day, but whoever thought he would start out like Matthews was just foolish or overly hopeful. Auston Matthews had a man’s body at 16-17 years old. Hughes might have a man’s body at 22-23 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad