Jack Hughes on pace to have worst rookie season by a 1st overall forward since Patrik Stefan in 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Imagine if his nightmare didn’t become a reality and if the Avs didn’t get screwed in the lottery again.

Hughes next to MacKinnon/Rantanen or Kadri/Landeskog.

Poor kid.
like hall Palmieri should be better than the second line for points .

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Well, at least we know his NHL-readiness was greatly exaggerated. Hopefully he at least scores more than Ekblad or Dahlin, otherwise it'd be a little embarrassing.

By who???? Literally everyone that had an opinion worth listening to said he might not, or even probably won't, have a big impact in his first year maybe two but he will be unstoppable one day. That was literally his one knock against him, that "he might not be NHL ready."

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
If you're going to compare him to overall seasons, an "on pace" comparison isn't really fair. You should look at the first 30 games of all 1st overalls. You probably want to limit that further by only looking at 1st overall selections that went immediately to the NHL. There's obviously some adjustment period of going straight from juniors to the NHL.

It would be great to re-visit this at the end of the season where all things would be equal but we have a good enough sample size now to have an idea of how J Hughes is doing in comparison with the rest

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Have you even watched this team this year? They have been absolute mess in all sorts of different ways and had an awful coach as well. Hughes will be just fine and he's been one of the few good things to watch this season(Blake Coleman has arguably been the best all around player on this team so far this season) It's the rest of the team that has to be sorted out.

Reactions: Dialamo

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Have you even watched this team this year? They have been absolute mess in all sorts of different ways and had an awful coach as well. Hughes will be just fine and he's been one of the few good things to watch this season(Blake Coleman has arguably been the best all around player on this team so far this season) It's the rest of the team that has to be sorted out.

Um you realize literally every 1st overall pick has had to step into a bad team right? The teams that get to draft 1st overall aren’t good teams..

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I hate to be the one to tell you this but he still looks like Yakupov
Fine, had to work a little harder but I'd say it came out seamlessly. Let's see you try and knock this one.

upload_2019-12-6_12-16-19.png

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
he should be fine

stamkos's rookie season was very unimpressive too. same with thornton and lecavalier

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Well Patrick Kane, Sidney Crosby, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Nico Hischier didn’t need that excuse, they were all about the same size and weight that Jack Hughes is at now and they dominated the NHL in their rookie years or at least doubled Jack Hughes’ production

Crosby had a good 20 pounds on Hughes.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
The team is a mess and most people were saying that he would struggle this season to adjust to the NHL jumping from the development program. I will say if he wants to stick at centre in the NHL he’s going to need to hit the weights he’s got the build of a 14 year old. Might be a good thing if New Jersey misses the playoffs this year it’ll give him a long summer to pack on size.

Reactions: 432Cane

Lumpy Grits

Sep 30, 2019
Wasn’t the general preseason consensus amongst scouts, analysts, and level-headed fans that he wouldn’t be one of the most NHL-ready first-overall picks in quite some time?

He’s small, on a crappy team, with crappy line mates. Give him some time.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Kane didn't have such issues... Even RNH who makes Hughes look like a bodybuilder did better.

RNH 6 feet 170 at draft.

Kane - 5'10 162

Hughes - 5'10 160

Your point possibly could be valid

Last edited:

Kreegz2

Dec 11, 2011
You are completely disregarding Erik Johnson. He missed the entirety of what should have been his rookie season because he was drunk driving a golf cart and crashed it, injuring himself. He then put up 33 points the following season.

EDIT: nvm I didnt read OP's title closely enough, my bad

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Yes easily the worst of all time. Makes Yak look like Gretzky. Now if we win the draft lottery again this year we all good? Everyone will understand last year didn't count and not give Devils crap about it?
I like the Devil's, I really do, but they don't deserve another 1st overall. That should have been squashed when Edmonton was picking 1st overall for the majority of a decade.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Um you realize literally every 1st overall pick has had to step into a bad team right? The teams that get to draft 1st overall aren’t good teams..

This team has been an extreme mess this year, more so than some of these teams that these guys played on in their first season. Even if Hughes only cracks 30-40 points there are plenty of guys on this list who were close and turned out just fine.

Here's the full list since if you were gonna post a thread like this you could have taken the few mins it took me to post the actual stats...

99 - Stefan - 25 points
01 - Kovy - 51 points
02 - Nash - 39 points
04 - Ovi - 106 points but didn't play until the 05-06 season cause of the lockout but was a year older and stronger
05 - Crosby - 102 points
07 - Kane - 72 points
08 - Stamkos - 39 points
09 - Tavares - 54 points
10 - Hall - 42 points
11 - RNH - 52 points
12 - Yakupov - 31 points in shortened lockout season and has gone back to Russia already
13 - MacKinnon - 63 points
15 - McDavid - 48 points
16 - Matthews - 69 points
17 - Nico - 52 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->