Jack Hughes on pace to have worst rookie season by a 1st overall forward since Patrik Stefan in 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kakko has 1 more point than Hughes. If we drafted Kakko 1st overall someone could have made this same exact thread.
Dunno, this thread's about Jack Hughes and 1st overall picks, not sure why you're bringing a 2nd overall pick into it.
This is not a thread about Kappo "played against men" Kakko.
Exactly, that's why I've only been talking about Hughes.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I realize that you're trying to make a point, but you just can't compare an 18 year old coming from juniors to all nhl rookies. At least 3-4 #1 picks from that time period went to AHL or NCAA after the draft, 2 were goalies and the #2 from those years either didn't put up many points or stayed in NCAA. Then there are guys like Stamkos who had 46pts (in 79 games) and Nash 39pts (in 74 games) which are not mind blowing numbers for a #1 pick either, but both became elite players later on.

Having watched all of Jack Hughes' games this season, I'd bet everything I have that he'll have a point/game season in the future if he stays healthy. Points aren't everything, a player might earn secondary assists without even contributing much. Hughes has been very unlucky, has hit the post bunch of times, assists to a wide open net only to have the shooter get robbed by the goalie or miss the net entirely. Ofcourse you'd want everyone to get into the score sheet immediately, but sometimes it just doesn't happen even when you're playing good. Let's at least wait this season through when we have the final numbers..

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
If you look at the hype (that he could be Patrik Kane level player) then yes he has been disapointing.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Dunno, this thread's about Jack Hughes and 1st overall picks, not sure why you're bringing a 2nd overall pick into it.Exactly, that's why I've only been talking about Hughes.

I. D.o.n.t even bother reading your posts but If Hughes is having a bad season so us kakko. No two ways about it

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Who are his most common linemates? In the games I've seen (which is very few), they don't seem to be playing him with much talent other than getting a few PP shifts with guys like Hall and Palmieri.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I have to admit I was shocked to find out he’s doing so poorly, he’s only on pace for 35 points even though he seems to be getting offensive zone starts, PP time, and top 6 line mates and lots of ice time. Did the Devils rush him? Is his development stunted? Will he be regarded as one of the worst 1st overall picks in the current era? The worst?

You're only using statistics that fit your narrative.

Jack Hughes is also on pace to have the BEST season by anyone, EVER, that weighs 65 lbs.

Reactions: Dirty Dog and Regal

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Dunno, this thread's about Jack Hughes and 1st overall picks, not sure why you're bringing a 2nd overall pick into it.Exactly, that's why I've only been talking about Hughes.

You’d think you would just stay away from these kinds of topics seeing as both Hughes and Kakko are having very similar starts to their careers.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
He's not NHL ready, needs to put on weight and adjust his game to be NHL effective.

Dylan Strome took a while to get going, Hughes should have the edge on him but maybe wouldn't hurt to go through a similar slow-boiled path.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The jump from the USNTDP to the NHL is an absolutely massive one. When was the last time a player came into the league from US juniors without playing at least 1 year at some intermediary level in between (NCAA or AHL)? Plus Hughes is a bit undersized, and his team stinks. When you watch him, you can see the skill and the skating are there. He'll be an impact player. Just maybe not this season.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I don't get why teams don't let their prospects develop in the AHL. It's not like the Devils are in any rush to compete for a Stanley Cup. Even if that statement is hindsight, it would have been the right move to start the season.

Let him develop in the AHL, and if he pushes for a main roster spot and the main roster team is doing well, call him up.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Don’t judge a player just by his stats, J. Hughes has been fine and shows elite skill and awareness. Team is a total mess and there is zero chemistry.

Reactions: Jtown

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Its a shame Hughes takes up ice time from Jesper Boqvist, who is the better player :)

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Eichel as a rookie had something like 12 points in his first 32 games I think...and he still finished with 56 points

There's an adjustment period

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Patrik Stefan...that's so funny that Atlanta traded for the 1st overall pick under the condition they had to take him and not one of the Sedins.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If he doesn't do so well with the Devils I could see him getting a second chance elsewhere, likely the Canucks.

But I think in terms of his career, he'll be just fine. Thornton and Lecavalier didn't have the best rookie seasons either, they turned out more than fine.

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013
If he doesn't do so well with the Devils I could see him getting a second chance elsewhere, likely the Canucks.

But I think in terms of his career, he'll be just fine. Thornton and Lecavalier didn't have the best rookie seasons either, they turned out more than fine.

He will be fine in future. Not just as good as some people hyped him to be.

Reactions: Dominance

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Laughed at the comparison on some national sporting channels that he was comparable to Connor McDavid.

Zach Parise level prospect at best in his absolute prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad