Prospect Info: Jack Hughes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Tons of North American & European scouts are in almost unprecedented agreement that Jack Hughes is the best player in the 2019 NHL Draft after watching literally hundreds of hours of footage & live games.

European scouts aren't in such agreement, and I doubt that North American scouts have watched Kakko nearly as much they have watched Hughes.

Reactions: mdj12784

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Unless there are dramatic changes to the salary cap structure it seems unlikely that VAN will have an easy time managing the cap to pay a Jack Hughes as a UFA assuming he is as good as expected. VAN will have a laundry list of players to pay well ahead of trying to sign Jack as a UFA.
I think you have it backwards. It's not if they'll have enough cap space to sign Jack. It's if WE'LL have enough space to sign Quinn :naughty:

Reactions: My3Sons

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
MSG are still political and wish that they will draft Jack Hughes as #2nd, lol. :)
This #2nd oa pick will haunt us the next 10 years, but I`m aware that G. Clarke would pick Kakko as #1 oa - so I`m not even sad, just a little. :(

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
If anyone was curious how passionate the kid was - and yet has the ability to remain mature mentally and a student of the game even in tough times

Dare I say it - Jack Hughes has GENERATIONAL attitude ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: MakoSlade and Ori

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Moronic short term thinking is about the worst thing you can do in almost every scenario (sports, business, finances, politics, etc.), yet here we are once again debating something that should be decided long term (drafting) based on a few games at the World Championship.

Thankfully most scouts and NHL organizations don't make decisions this way.

Reactions: My3Sons

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Anyone in communication with Hughes via Twitter, facebook, etc? Tell him I'd be willing to pay good money - At lest 20 bucks - if he said "I love to hockey too" in his post-draft interview!

I'm counting on you, Glen... wait. I cant @glenwo2. Did I mis-remember his name, or did he change it?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Also remember Hynes is actually coaching Hughes right now.

We should have a better idea then anyone else whether the kid is 1st overall material or not.
In every single report ive read, from his BTNL coaches (a program thats had McDavid Marner Tavares etc) to US development to WJC coaches - everyone says his passion, compete level. and mind for the game are as high as can be. He has the mentality you need to be a top player in the game.

Hynes likely sees it immediately

Reactions: Khione

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Rangers saying they would take Kakko 1st is pure spin.

I'm a rational logical Rangers fan. I come in peace (I feel like this always needs to be said, lol) and tbh I want Kakko, I really do, but I know we need Hughes. We're riding a center depth of Zbad (who did have a good season but will always be a real solid #2 to me, even if he keeps this up), and mysteries in who develops (or not) out of Howden, Chytil and Andersson. None of them will be #1C levels like Hughes can be obviously.

So there is nuance to it. A lot of us really do want and love Kakko, even before this tournament (and yes I do realize the ENs and the fact that he's playing top minutes with an absolutely unsustainable SH%), but the smartest of us (pls refrain from taking the bait and making the easy joke!) all realize how much more we need Hughes and the potential he has.

Now, in your case, you already have Hischier who I think is going to be a phenomenal center. Better than any we have. You add Hughes to that, and that's just a dynamic 1-2 punch down the middle in your top 6. Easier to draft or trade for wingers. Much as I hate to admit it, Hischier/Hughes may not be Crosby/Malkin, but it's a very likely dominant center duo that will be one of the top in the league. That's reason enough for me to want you to draft Kakko even if I love him.

See, if you pick Kakko and we get Hughes, we're just gonna push SO hard for Panarin and maybe succeed in getting him over Florida. Add Kravtsov who has some real potential, etc. and I'm just happy as can be. But when you do pick Hughes and we get Kakko, which is awesome since I never expected we'd draft top 5 ever again, we can still chase Panarin but we need to move some shit to draft higher and get a good center. Or we're gonna chase Duchene, which I do NOT want to do. Hischier/Hughes >>> Zibanejad/Duchene/Whoever. Plain and simple.

At the end of the day we're both (very likely) getting a huge asset and game changer. We need a top center more than you since we have no Hischier, but you become deadly with two centers of that quality. This isn't Sid vs. Ovie to me at all though. We'll still hate each other and I expect you'll be very solid very soon with either one, but I don't see the need to compare them as much as we'd want to because, well... you know.

<3 (jk, die)

edit: I feel like I need to take a shower now.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Kakko is the best player on a Finland roster filled with players from their league and Hughes is on a roster filled to the brim with NHL regulars. It would be foolish to jump to conclusions based on that. Additionally, Hughes has had good underlying numbers from his limited time on ice.

Don't overthink things.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
After 16 years on HFBoards I think I found my favorite comment ever from the Hughes thread:

"The funny thing is, if you ignore the scouts' opinions and just go with traditional wisdom, my opinions on Hughes aren't even very outlandish"

How does one even respond to that?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
After 16 years on HFBoards I think I found my favorite comment ever from the Hughes thread:

"The funny thing is, if you ignore the scouts' opinions and just go with traditional wisdom, my opinions on Hughes aren't even very outlandish"

I don't even know what that means tbh.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

On the RANGERS board yesterday, Ijuka said travel isnt tiring. Yeah...

Every Ranger fan and myself jumped on him for that. Was a simply absurd comment (in conjunction with why Hughes is maybe lagging a bit)

Reactions: teravaineSAROS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad