Prospect Info: Jack Hughes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't doubt that Kakko is the superior player right now. He's obviously MUCH more physically mature and further along in his development.

He'll also probably step into a much better situation with the NYR, hopping right onto the top line with Zibanejad/Kreider whereas Hughes likely starts on the 2nd line with Bratt/Wood/Zacha/UFA. So it wouldn't surprise me if Kakko outscores Hughes their rookie years.

I think of it like 2006 when Crosby and Ovechkin were both rookies. Crosby ultimately became the better player, but it took a little time to show because OV showed up more ready.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
How much higher is Hughes' ceiling, though? Do we really think it's that much higher that it still warrants him being the clear #1 OA?

I'm purely asking out of curiosity. I've been defending Hughes in the prospects thread but it's gotten too toxic even for me.

Also, hard to defend Hughes' play against Kakko's tbh.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I said this in one of the WC threads earlier, it would be a mistake for Ray not to take Jack. I'll admit that Kakko is probably better right now since he's further along in his development, but in terms of marketing players, you absolutely cannot pass up the next USA star (no offense to Kakko and Finland).

The Joker

Feb 25, 2011
I said this in one of the WC threads earlier, it would be a mistake for Ray not to take Jack. I'll admit that Kakko is probably better right now since he's further along in his development, but in terms of marketing players, you absolutely cannot pass up the next USA star (no offense to Kakko and Finland).

Yeah, finally someone coming out with the true reason why everyone here wants Hughes.

That would be a ridiculous reason.

Reactions: fr9dd9 and MichaelJ

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Yeah, finally someone coming out with the true reason why everyone here wants Hughes.

That would be a ridiculous reason.

How so? Whether you'd like to admit it or not, an American player is much more marketable in this country. The Rangers have the appeal and allure of being in NYC. That is their marketing advantage. Devils are always at a disadvantage because of this and having the option of taking the next American star is a huge opportunity for the franchise.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
How much higher is Hughes' ceiling, though? Do we really think it's that much higher that it still warrants him being the clear #1 OA?

I'm purely asking out of curiosity. I've been defending Hughes in the prospects thread but it's gotten too toxic even for me.

Also, hard to defend Hughes' play against Kakko's tbh.
It doesnt have to be that much bigger. Think of it this way:

Jack has higher potential but a lower floor. Physicality is a big aspect of this and why Kakko looks better at this tournament.

Kakko can, in theory, be closer to his ceiling. But since his ceiling is lower AND hes farther along - it is expected he wont improve AS MUCH as youll see from Jack over the years.

Yes Jack has more risk factor. But the entire draft itself is the definition of risk and you dont skip out on potential for that slight risk factor - otherwise thats on you. If you pick Jack and he doesnt pan out, thats on Jack.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

you know what else is really good for marketing? winning. so we should probably draft the better player (hughes)

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I think of it like 2006 when Crosby and Ovechkin were both rookies. Crosby ultimately became the better player, but it took a little time to show because OV showed up more ready.

Ovechkin is/was 2 years older than Crosby (well, 1 year and 11 months hence draft their draft years).

NJDFan4Life

Jun 25, 2009
Canada
It doesnt have to be that much bigger. Think of it this way:

Jack has higher potential but a lower floor. Physicality is a big aspect of this and why Kakko looks better at this tournament.

Kakko can, in theory, be closer to his ceiling. But since his ceiling is lower AND hes farther along - it is expected he wont improve AS MUCH as youll see from Jack over the years.

Yes Jack has more risk factor. But the entire draft itself is the definition of risk and you dont skip out on potential for that slight risk factor - otherwise thats on you. If you pick Jack and he doesnt pan out, thats on Jack.

Nailed it

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
For those who ever wondered how Jack has been training since 12 years old

How Jack Hughes built the skill-set that could make him 2019's No. 1 pick - Sportsnet.ca

The head coach there said he has the same development curve and determination as Connor McDavid. Thats why I dont see it as big a risk as some do in terms of Jack hitting his potential. He has every tool in the shed to do it

The kid was quoted at the ages of 13 and 15 saying he wants to be 1st overall and be the best of his age group. Most kids aspire simply to be the greatest or make the NHL. Jack is not only focused, passionate, and hard-working but he also has intelligence and self-reflection in the sense that he always wants to improve further. When you have such specific goals set at such a young age..... well lets just say a lot of us adults dont have that same drive at any point in our lives. Let alone for a sport when were kids.

Reactions: longislanddevil

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
How so? Whether you'd like to admit it or not, an American player is much more marketable in this country. The Rangers have the appeal and allure of being in NYC. That is their marketing advantage. Devils are always at a disadvantage because of this and having the option of taking the next American star is a huge opportunity for the franchise.

You say that but this fan base went gaga over the Russian drama king. Nationality isn’t nearly as big a deal to our own fan base as it would be outside of it, getting national attention and branding (more TV games, Winter Classic, etc).

That said, nationality shouldn’t enter one iota into the discussion of who we pick. It’s Ray and Castron making the pick, not the owners or Hugh Weber.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Just to calm everyone down, lets enjoy a 16-year old Jack and his nutty handles

Edit: Anyone having pasta tonight? I got you covered on the sauce

Not IIFH related but figured Id sprinkle in some nice stuff to keep it light in here.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

This. Kakko is phenomenal, but what you're seeing right now is pretty much what you're getting. He's so developed physically, I'm not sure how much his game is really going to progress. Hughes is already dominant and when he builds out physically, he has the ceiling to be one of the top 5ish offensive players in the entire league. I really don't care what a kid is doing in a summer tournament when projecting the long term ability of a prospect. From a pure skating and skill perspective, Hughes is very rare package.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
That's the thing...Kakko is basically as good as it gets when it comes to skillsets you can teach. But does he possess the skills that separate at the next level? He's absolutely NHL ready if you're only looking at the fundamentals of the game.

But it's skating and knowing where you're going to distribute the puck before you get it that make up for a hell of a lot at the NHL level - and Hughes is flat-out better at those specific attributes.

What do I worry about with Hughes? It's the same stuff you'd worry about with any playmaking No. 1 overall - coasting, lack of interest on the defensive side of the puck (which is overblown with Hughes), movement without the puck and of course ability to withstand physicality.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
That's the thing...Kakko is basically as good as it gets when it comes to skillsets you can teach. But does he possess the skills that separate at the next level? He's absolutely NHL ready if you're only looking at the fundamentals of the game.

But it's skating and knowing where you're going to distribute the puck before you get it that make up for a hell of a lot at the NHL level - and Hughes is flat-out better at those specific attributes.

What do I worry about with Hughes? It's the same stuff you'd worry about with any playmaking No. 1 overall - coasting, lack of interest on the defensive side of the puck (which is overblown with Hughes), movement without the puck and of course ability to withstand physicality.

Hughes actually defended well in that OT shift against Kakko, I think his defensive game will be pretty solid.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
I just think that RIGHT now Kakko is the better fit for us and the kind of player we need.

He'd help us right away. We'd be a good team next season. With Hughes we have to wait. And I'm tired of waiting.

Hall-Hischier-Kakko..... oh my...

Reactions: Nate070

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I just think that RIGHT now Kakko is the better fit for us and the kind of player we need.

He'd help us right away. We'd be a good team next season. With Hughes we have to wait. And I'm tired of waiting.

Hughes will be the best 2C this team has had in maybe a decade right from the get go.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018

Okay who is the second line center then?

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

Hughes makes them a good team next season as well. Other than receiving limited minutes over the first few games in the worlds this week, I'm not sure what indicates that he wouldn't be a dynamic player as soon as next season. He's dominated at every single level. He certainly hasn't reached his ceiling and will need to continue to add size, but Hughes can make an immediate impact.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Hughes actually defended well in that OT shift against Kakko, I think his defensive game will be pretty solid.
Dan Ninkovich, BTNL coach (if youre not familiar with the elite program, go up in the thread and check out the article I posted), stated he thinks Jack has an interestingly strong defensive game and finds it fun to watch him backcheck as well as use his speed for coverage. Also he switched off his man a few times in that 3on3 defensive hold whereas half our current roster would have gotten lost and left someone open.

I dont expect Nico Hischier level two way play but I expect an average defender with higher end backchecking/forechecking

Reactions: Scooooooooooooot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad