Prospect Info: Jack Hughes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I would be down

could he be had for one of our 2nds and a prospect?

Paul Fenton has not proven to be a competent GM for the Minnesota Wild. In his short reign, he has already made the worst 1st round pick of the entire decade (Filip Johnson) and given away a top-6, two-way impact power forward in Nino Niederreiter straight up for a player (Victor Rask) who would be an about average third-line center in the AHL. The fact that he is even shopping a speedy, goal-scoring, versatile winger like Zucker is absurd, it is further proof that he is the worst type of GM -- one who overvalues and undervalues assets almost at whim.

If I'm Ray Shero, I am certainly going to inquire about the asking price for Zucker. I wouldn't even open the offer with a 2nd + a prospect, because Fenton has evidenced little clue concerning who is worth what. You might be able to get a Chiarelli-type ask from him of Mueller and Quenneville, who knows? We're talking about a guy who drafted a player he could have had in the 4th round at 24th overall.

Last edited:

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Paul Fenton has not proven to be a competent GM for the Minnesota Wild. In his short reign, he has already made the worst 1st round pick of the entire decade (Filip Johnson) and given away a top-6, two-way impact power forward in Nino Niederreiter straight up for a player (Victor Rask) who would be an about average third-line center in the AHL. The fact that he is even shopping a speedy, goal-scoring, versatile winger like Zucker is absurd, it is further proof that he is the worst type of GM -- one who overvalues and undervalues assets almost at whim.

If I'm Ray Shero, I am certainly going to inquire about the asking price for Zucker. I wouldn't even open the offer with a 2nd + a prospect, because Fenton has evidenced little clue concerning who is worth what. You might be able to get a Chiarelli-type ask from him of Mueller and Quenneville, who knows? We're talking about a guy who drafted a player he could have had in the 4th round at 19th overall.

Might as well inquire on Kunin and Brodin as well

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK
I don’t think Palmieri is the shooter Hughes needs. I think somebody more creative and shifty
He clicked really well with Wahlstrom last year don’t forget, whose game is closer to Palmieri’s. As much fun as it is to imagine Hughes and Caufield (somehow) linking up for a long time, I suspect Hughes will make whoever he plays with a better scorer.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I unfortunately doubt Kunin is for sale, and I don't see Brodin as anything more than a bottom-pairing D on a contending team. Zucker is the guy Fenton seems to be actively shopping and woefully undervaluing.

Bummer....figured if he was clueless he could’ve been talked out of Kunin and I think Brodin can be a middle pair on a contender.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Bummer....figured if he was clueless he could’ve been talked out of Kunin and I think Brodin can be a middle pair on a contender.

Well, Brodin is a 4D on a non-contending Minnesota team. I'd call him a non-physical defensive defenseman, but he's not good enough defensively to be considered a shut-down guy. He's basically a solid 4/5 D. I can't really see Ray Shero wasting valuable trade assets on that.

NJDFan4Life

Jun 25, 2009
Canada
I don't think it will matter who plays with who on RW in the top 6. Jack Hughes will make either Bratt or Palms that much better and with what Hughes does with the puck and way he attracts defenders when he has the puck should open up even more ice whether its Palmieri or Bratt.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Is there an easy way to see how many of Caufield's goals had JH as the primary assist?

Edit: counted 4 out of the 9, not bad

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Well, Brodin is a 4D on a non-contending Minnesota team. I'd call him a non-physical defensive defenseman, but he's not good enough defensively to be considered a shut-down guy. He's basically a solid 4/5 D. I can't really see Ray Shero wasting valuable trade assets on that.

Yea, but he was also a second pair d on contending Minnesota teams and is behind Souter and Dumba. I also wouldn’t want Shero to pay too much for him though.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Yea, but he was also a second pair d on contending Minnesota teams and is behind Souter and Dumba. I also wouldn’t want Shero to pay too much for him though.

Don't forget Spurgeon -- he's without a doubt the Wild #3 guy on the blueline. Very good defenseman.

Minnesota fell apart after the Dumba injury this year. Although Suter and Spurgeon were very good all year, the bottom four of Hunt/Patyrn/Brodin/Seeler were consistently exposed by opposing forwards with increased ice time. This is why I'm taking the time to oppose suggestions of acquiring Brodin -- he's just very similar in style and performance to Andy Greene -- and not prime-era Andy Greene, but rather 37-year old Andy Greene. And then having to pay Brodin $4.2 million through 2021 when both LDs Ty Smith and Jeremy Davies will certainly be NHL-ready on ELC contracts? No, thank you.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Hall-Hischier-XXX
Bratt-Hughes-Palmieri

??

I would love to get a guy like Jeff Skinner to complete the top 6

There are some intriguing, potentially buy-low options at RW. Zucker is the obvious one. Kessel comes to mind, but that would likely require a 3-way deal that gives PIT a better forward than we could/would give them. Does Toronto move on from Nylander? Imagine if it's actually Marner they have to cut ties with...

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Toronto is probably letting Gardner walk. Though I could see them cutting ties with Kadri after being suspended the last two playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad