Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
He isn't being traded. What is this woe-is-jack crap some of you are projecting?
I wouldn't rule out Botterill getting the idea that trading Eichel or Dahlin is only way to get enough depth so they can move forward. He's already shown he'll deal battleships for rowboats. I expect GM's to be making offers. I don't trust the idiot with the big head or the idiots he works for.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wouldn't rule out Botterill getting the idea that trading Eichel or Dahlin is only way to get enough depth so they can move forward. He's already shown he'll deal battleships for rowboats. I expect GM's to be making offers. I don't trust the idiot with the big head or the idiots he works for.

I don't see the Pegulas signing off on an Eichel or Dahlin trade after how the ROR trade blew up in their face.

I am more concerned about a Reinhart for multiple pieces trade this offseason, though.

Reactions: brian_griffin

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
They are going to be rebuilding for a while regardless of how a single prospect works out.

Oh agreed, I just don't think they have any one but him to fill be a big minute eating role. If he fails, they are looking at even more years added to the rebuild.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I don't see the Pegulas signing off on an Eichel or Dahlin trade after how the ROR trade blew up in their face.

I am more concerned about a Reinhart for multiple pieces trade this offseason, though.

How long before Eichel wants out? Then what? The Pegulas love selling rebuilds. They could see that as an opportunity to reset and give them a few more years as we have to wait for the picks, prospects from that to grow and develop. And they will certainly use the media to make Jack the bad guy and try to say he forced their hand.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
How long before Eichel wants out? Then what? The Pegulas love selling rebuilds. They could see that as an opportunity to reset and give them a few more years as we have to wait for the picks, prospects from that to grow and develop. And they will certainly use the media to make Jack the bad guy and try to say he forced their hand.

Even if he wants out, why would the Sabres trade him?

I doubt they trade him until the summer before his current deal expires at the earliest.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017

If it's true the owners love rebuilds, might as well send that letter to STH now (a la Rangers 1-2 years ago) but I doubt too many STH are gonna re-up. As for making Jack the bad guy, I'm not sure other franchises would lay any blame on Eichel for forcing a trade. They'd recognize what a special talent he is, and would like to see what he can do for them.
P.S. I just can't see the Sabres going with the nuclear option to trade away BOTH their franchise # 1 Center AND their # 1 Defenseman-in-the-making (I don't feel Dahlin is there yet)

MightyMuffins

Jan 17, 2017
Even if he wants out, why would the Sabres trade him?

I doubt they trade him until the summer before his current deal expires at the earliest.
Well....depends. You know probably teams have inquired about him....hell I am sure teams call the Oilers about McDavid...just they know it won't ever be done cause McDavid has a more playoff driven team so he is far more safe and it would take just one hell of a stupid insane offer to get rid of him.

Eichel though has leverage if needed cause he has more of an ability to force one if he wanted cause the team is once again so bad and teams will want to inquire just how much of a seller we plan or want to be once again.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Well....depends. You know probably teams have inquired about him....hell I am sure teams call the Oilers about McDavid...just they know it won't ever be done cause McDavid has a more playoff driven team so he is far more safe and it would take just one hell of a stupid insane offer to get rid of him.

Eichel though has leverage if needed cause he has more of an ability to force one if he wanted cause the team is once again so bad and teams will want to inquire just how much of a seller we plan or want to be once again.
He has no leverage. He can ask all he wants but the team is under no obligation to accommodate him. He can sit out but that will cost him millions. Jack is here for the duration of his contract and he knows it. That probably eats at him as much as the shyte team around him.

Reactions: Sabreality

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
He has no leverage. He can ask all he wants but the team is under no obligation to accommodate him. He can sit out but that will cost him millions. Jack is here for the duration of his contract and he knows it. That probably eats at him as much as the shyte team around him.

Jack is financially independent for life, unless he really squandered his earnings (likely in the stage known as financial freedom). Could live off of 200K+ in investment income a year easily. If he really wanted to sit out, he could

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Jack is financially independent for life, unless he really squandered his earnings (likely in the stage known as financial freedom). Could live off of 200K+ in investment income a year easily. If he really wanted to sit out, he could
Not for 6 years. It would be the equivalent of retiring. He would not be able to maintain his edge without the competition. Could he retire? Maybe, but he is a young man and can still compete in the situation he is in.

MightyMuffins

Jan 17, 2017
Not for 6 years. It would be the equivalent of retiring. He would not be able to maintain his edge without the competition. Could he retire? Maybe, but he is a young man and can still compete in the situation he is in.
I mean even if he sat out.....you know a team would easily pick him up. I mean he'd only be like 28/29.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

The point I was making was that Jack could retire right now. He probably has more than 7 million saved up, if he's been smart with his money. Even with a very conservative 3% return annually, he'd be getting 210K per year for life. Enough to live a fairly luxurious life until he dies

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Habs fan here. Eichel is my favourite player in the league so I thought it was pretty sick he was on Spittin Chiclets today. Great interview. He talks great about Buffalo and his teammates so you guys don’t need to worry about a trade request.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
The point I was making was that Jack could retire right now. He probably has more than 7 million saved up, if he's been smart with his money. Even with a very conservative 3% return annually, he'd be getting 210K per year for life. Enough to live a fairly luxurious life until he dies

that ain’t luxury!

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Habs fan here. Eichel is my favourite player in the league so I thought it was pretty sick he was on Spittin Chiclets today. Great interview. He talks great about Buffalo and his teammates so you guys don’t need to worry about a trade request.

Yeah, he seemed to talk about Buffalo in a "I'm comfortable, a good place to unwind" kind of way. Though I came away from that laughing at Reinhart more than anything. It seems there quite a few stories out there about him that Jack couldn't/didn't want to get into.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Eichel mentioned how Pommer would talk about how great playoff games were in Buffalo, and it sounded like Jack wants to get there and see what its like here. Granted this interview was before the recent slide

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Hmm 7 million saved? Are we counting home ownership and assets as savings or actual cash in markets to get the implied interest revenue.

I'm going to assume you mean the second one.

Let's assume he got no side cash to go to BU.

Dot will know better, but I believe Eichel missed all of his bonuses on his elc. So roughly his salary was 1 a year, looks like he hit a 265k bonus in year two.

With agent fees and taxes that means he takes home roughly half. So 500k a year. He probably spent a ton of that in his first year or two. Jack dresses well in his public interviews, and I could easily see him spend 50k on clothes, shoes, jewelry or fancy accessories, tech related.

I don't think it's been a public thing, but I assume he bought himself at least one moderately high end vehicle. Lets call that 75k and likely a family member or friend, add 25k.

Again no specific info, but I would guarantee that Jack took care of his parents mortgage, they seem to have a good relationship and c'mon he's a good guy. Let's guesstimate that at 100k.

Pro athlete costs of personal trainer, summer ice and a chef could easily hit 10-20k a year.

His own cost of living, Free with Moulson for a while, but allegedly the townhouse he moved to last year was around 750k. Let's assume he financed and put down 100k. Factor in another 20k in dining out with the boys, cuz almost none of these guys are eating home made meals, particularly the single guys.

Roughly 400k in low end guesses on his cost of living, with some of that being reoccurring costs, so it's probably closer to 550k from his rookie year to now, bare minimum.

None of which factors in vacations, filling a house with high end goodies, property taxes, insurance on himself and his contract, upgrades on vehicles over 5 years.

Let's tack on an extra million in expenditures. And screw it let's say he bought that townhouse in cash. Let's bump it to 3 million spent on non-investments.

That should leave him after jis final paycheck this season around 6-7 million of jerk around money.

Damn it's good to be an elite paid athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad