Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
On a serious note, how much credit belongs to Krueger for Eichel’s game. He’s playing very well away from puck too
Krueger got Eichel (and other players) to buy into the system by showing them as well as discussing and listening to suggestions about how playing a 200 foot game improves offense. He makes it make sense to him, Eichel tries it, sees that it works, and embraces it. Housley and Bylsma would just scream at players to backcheck because that's the way it's done and chant hollow mantras like offense comes from defense. There was never any buy in because he was just trying to follow orders. Now he's doing it because he wants to do it. I think the process of maturing also plays a big role, but a coach like Krueger can get through to players.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Krueger got Eichel (and other players) to buy into the system by showing them as well as discussing and listening to suggestions about how playing a 200 foot game improves offense. He makes it make sense to him, Eichel tries it, sees that it works, and embraces it. Housley and Bylsma would just scream at players to backcheck because that's the way it's done and chant hollow mantras like offense comes from defense. There was never any buy in because he was just trying to follow orders. Now he's doing it because he wants to do it. I think the process of maturing also plays a big role, but a coach like Krueger can get through to players.
Its about keeping the window small.....

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If only Jack were as good as Matthews....

:sarcasm:

Since they are friends and professional rivals, I’m curious to see what this does for Matthews preparation for next season. I would imagine he will want to up his game as well. It might actually be a benefit to the Leafs in the long run. But right at the moment, it’s pretty amazing to see how he has embraced the idea that he can use his physical tools for a good rather than evil in his own zone. He seems to understand that if he owns the puck, the team does so much better and he has the ability to go take it from people.

Reactions: Jim Bob

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Since they are friends and professional rivals, I’m curious to see what this does for Matthews preparation for next season. I would imagine he will want to up his game as well. It might actually be a benefit to the Leafs in the long run. But right at the moment, it’s pretty amazing to see how he has embraced the idea that he can use his physical tools for a good rather than evil in his own zone. He seems to understand that if he owns the puck, the team does so much better and he has the ability to go take it from people.

I couldn't be happier to see it finally click. I remember telling jj, when asked why I questioned Jack's defense so hard, that he could be a Selke nominee just due to his immense physical tools.

And now he is putting in the work. His pace at all zones is finally jumping up to the level it needed to be at to hit his potential.

He had a beautiful stick lift on O'Reilly right before his empty net goal against the Blues. It was my favorite play all year by him.

Four years ago he wouldn't have even been on the ice, because he was so unreliable.

Three years ago, he might have been on the ice and probably be twenty feet away from the play looking to get sprung.

Last year he might have made the play, maybe not.

This year, he is in the right position, he is focused on the right play, not the puck, but where it will go, allowing him to completely ambush O'Reilly, create the turnover, stay close as Larson fights off a check and then of course he is automatic on the empty net.

Too much man when Jack plays at 95-100%

Member 308457

Like Eichel, Nathan MacKinnon is tearing it up. I read that part of his success is that his coach puts him on all 4 lines sometimes to confuse the other teams' the matchups:

He played on all four lines and had the game-winning assist on Mikko Rantanen‘s first goal. MacKinnon and Rantanen, both 2018-19 NHL All-Stars, usually play together but they didn’t begin that way against the Flyers, who must have thrown in the towel as far as matchups were concerned midway through the first period.

MacKinnon, the NHL’s third-leading scorer, is on pace to shatter his career-best 99-point season of 2018-19. He is the one player opponents try to shut down offensively. But that’s becoming harder these days because of his unpredictable presence — just the way Colorado coach Jared Bednar likes it.

“It makes it tough for a team to just check him with certain guys, or a certain D-pair,” Bednar said Thursday after an optional skate. “The flip side on our side is, when you spot Mac into a line and juggle things around a little bit, even it’s just for a shift or two, those other players are really excited to go out on the ice with him because they know he can help make them better and that they can be difference-makers in the game right then and there on that particular shift.”

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Like Eichel, Nathan MacKinnon is tearing it up. I read that part of his success is that his coach puts him on all 4 lines sometimes to confuse the other teams' the matchups:

He played on all four lines and had the game-winning assist on Mikko Rantanen‘s first goal. MacKinnon and Rantanen, both 2018-19 NHL All-Stars, usually play together but they didn’t begin that way against the Flyers, who must have thrown in the towel as far as matchups were concerned midway through the first period.

MacKinnon, the NHL’s third-leading scorer, is on pace to shatter his career-best 99-point season of 2018-19. He is the one player opponents try to shut down offensively. But that’s becoming harder these days because of his unpredictable presence — just the way Colorado coach Jared Bednar likes it.

“It makes it tough for a team to just check him with certain guys, or a certain D-pair,” Bednar said Thursday after an optional skate. “The flip side on our side is, when you spot Mac into a line and juggle things around a little bit, even it’s just for a shift or two, those other players are really excited to go out on the ice with him because they know he can help make them better and that they can be difference-makers in the game right then and there on that particular shift.”

That's a really unique way of handling a superstar like that. Interesting read.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
One knock on Eichel has been his body language when things aren’t going well. Positive body language is easy when you’re on a 15 game point streak and the team is trending up... but Krueger seems to have a very positive impact on Eichel when it comes to leadership. That’s not to take a single thing away from Jack, either.

Reactions: joshjull

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
How important is Eichel to the team, we have 4 wins when he doesn’t get a point, and hasn’t won a game when Jack went pointless since 10/19

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
Taking the responsibility for the turnover and commending the team for the effort to get the point in the post-game press scrum.
I’m not sure what happened or clicked with Jack but his interviews and on ice mannerisms have been night and day recently. Maybe it’s just coming with age, but it’s awesome to see.

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness

Can we do that too? Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad