Player Discussion Jack Eichel Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I fully expect Dahlin to make a run at this eventually.
I think thats reasonable.
I think its also reasonable to say some players bring other characteristics to the game that Eichel doesn't, or that he has bad games. I still just think it was really a reach by some to say he wasnt the best.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Don't wanna add to this to the main board thread that just started because it'd lead to holy hell, but-

how great was it seeing Eichel thoroughly outplay Matthews? One game, it's not actually proof of anything, but I just got so tired of Leafs' fans' smug assumption that it wasn't even a debate. Matthews was invisible tonight, Eichel was easily the best player on the ice. Maybe there will be times the opposite is true, but just knowing Leafs fans watched that happen.. happy Thanksgiving :laugh:.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Don't wanna add to this to the main board thread that just started because it'd lead to holy hell, but-

how great was it seeing Eichel thoroughly outplay Matthews? One game, it's not actually proof of anything, but I just got so tired of Leafs' fans' smug assumption that it wasn't even a debate. Matthews was invisible tonight, Eichel was easily the best player on the ice. Maybe there will be times the opposite is true, but just knowing Leafs fans watched that happen.. happy Thanksgiving :laugh:.

Eichel has outplayed Matthews in nearly every head to head game. When Babcock was coach he would try to match Matthews away from Eichel.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Said on the mainboard and will say it again. Eichel is an elite player and the best american born center in the game today. He showed it tonight and most games he plays against Matthews. Always thought once the talent of teams was more similar we would see this. Heck of a player.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Eichel has outplayed Matthews in nearly every head to head game. When Babcock was coach he would try to match Matthews away from Eichel.

Thought that was the case- Leafs' fans' sense of superiority is so overwhelming it's friggin gaslighting me, I just remember it being a thing in the offseason and thinking "hasn't Eichel been better head-to-head?"

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Eichel 14 games against the Leafs. 12 goals, 7 assists, 19 points

Matthews 12 games vs the Sabres. 9 goals, 5 assists, 14 points

Granted not all the games were head to head due to injuries. Matthews hasn't been a slouch against us but Eichel has been better.

Lumpy Grits

Sep 30, 2019
What was the fans’ sentiment during his first year? Impatience? Was he playing with decent line mates?

Just wondering if Jack Hughes’ career trajectory could probably be similar. Hughes flashes elite skill but also looks lost on a few plays, and his line mates aren’t helping.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
What was the fans’ sentiment during his first year? Impatience? Was he playing with decent line mates?

Just wondering if Jack Hughes’ career trajectory could probably be similar. Hughes flashes elite skill but also looks lost on a few plays, and his line mates aren’t helping.

some frustration Jack's first year. Not so much at Jack, but of his linemates going offsides, which cost us several goals in replay review, or missing wide open nets after great plays by Eichel. He should have had between 65 and 70 points his rookie season

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
some frustration Jack's first year. Not so much at Jack, but of his linemates going offsides, which cost us several goals in replay review, or missing wide open nets after great plays by Eichel. He should have had between 65 and 70 points his rookie season
Yep. After his rookie season, the "get Jack a finisher" campaign began, which included some disdain for Kane. That lasted until Skinner last year. We've always wanted to see that shot more even through gaudy SOG stretches.

Lumpy Grits

Sep 30, 2019
Yep. After his rookie season, the "get Jack a finisher" campaign began, which included some disdain for Kane. That lasted until Skinner last year. We've always wanted to see that shot more even through gaudy SOG stretches.

Kinda the same thing with Hughes. Kinda worried that linemates and overall team environment could stunt his development, but the fact that Eichel’s ceiling now doesn’t seem to be stunted is reassuring.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Kinda the same thing with Hughes. Kinda worried that linemates and overall team environment could stunt his development, but the fact that Eichel’s ceiling now doesn’t seem to be stunted is reassuring.
Hughes will never be the physical specimen Jack is. Hughes game will have to develop more like PKane. Elusive, quick, vision. Jack is becoming more of a physical nightmare for teams as he matures. Different types of players.

Lumpy Grits

Sep 30, 2019
Hughes will never be the physical specimen Jack is. Hughes game will have to develop more like PKane. Elusive, quick, vision. Jack is becoming more of a physical nightmare for teams as he matures. Different types of players.

True... I grew up watching Mario play, and as far as styles of play go, he immediately comes to mind when I see the way Eichel handles the puck with a long reach and creates space that way.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
True... I grew up watching Mario play, and as far as styles of play go, he immediately comes to mind when I see the way Eichel handles the puck with a long reach and creates space that way.
I lived in Pittsburgh during the first cup runs with Mario and Jagr, Francis, Stephens and Mario was otherworldly. Jack has a similar style but Mario was just so much more talented than everyone. I think the league is much more level among the top tier players with a few exceptions like McDavid and Crosby. Mac, Jack Barkov are probably in a similar group based on skill and physical presence.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
'It’s his time': Jack Eichel adds to his breakout season... (paywall)

Krueger is relying on the 23-year-old more than his coaching predecessors. Eichel is skating an average of 21:33 per night, third among NHL forwards behind only Edmonton’s Leon Draisaitl (22:51) and Connor McDavid (22:12). The Sabres’ power play is in a monthlong slump, so during the past two games, Krueger has kept the captain on the ice for 7:08 of the 7:30 of man-advantage time.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
First 2 games i've watched Jack this year and he looks like a beast. It's mind boggling that you guys didn't have more success with him and ROR as your centers. Love how physical he can play for a guy with top end skill.

Reactions: Quiet Jack

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
First 2 games i've watched Jack this year and he looks like a beast. It's mind boggling that you guys didn't have more success with him and ROR as your centers. Love how physical he can play for a guy with top end skill.

He is not the same player he was two or three years ago.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
He is not the same player he was two or three years ago.
Plus, in Jack's best season of ROR's 3 years here, they were icing a large chunk of Pouliot, Josefson, Nolan, Griffith, Moulson, Wilson, Tennyson, an un-recovered Larsson, Falk, post-injury Okposo, Antipin etc.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Plus, in Jack's best season of ROR's 3 years here, they were icing a large chunk of Pouliot, Josefson, Nolan, Griffith, Moulson, Wilson, Tennyson, an un-recovered Larsson, Falk, post-injury Okposo, Antipin etc.
Haha ohhhh... wow.. f word were the 4 words that came into my head reading those names of players.

Brought back some PTSD for previous seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad