Player Discussion: J.T. Miller

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Somewhere in the 20's draft range puts in range to trade with Kings (20) Sharks (21) Senators (22) Ducks (23) Wild (24) Leafs (25)

Off the top of my head without checking salaries I suppose the Leafs might our best bet because it looks like JVR is a less than certain thing to return to Toronto and I know Miller would cost less.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Somewhere in the 20's draft range puts in range to trade with Kings (20) Sharks (21) Senators (22) Ducks (23) Wild (24) Leafs (25)

Off the top of my head without checking salaries I suppose the Leafs might our best bet because it looks like JVR is a less than certain thing to return to Toronto and I know Miller would cost less.

JVR's the one reason why I'm not sure the Leafs would be in. They're rumored to be "done" with him, and he's a better player than Miller who wouldn't need a whole lot more money.

I think we're gonna look West. The Sharks signing Kane (for an absurd amount) could be a signal they're trying to get younger on the fly. I'm not sure what their cap situation is, but they might be itchy to spend whatever they have left of that Joe Thornton money on a younger, (much, much) lesser version of him.

The one East team that's a bit interesting is Ottawa. You have to think if they're serious about keeping Karlsson, they're going to have to show him some sort of commitment to winning, which means bolstering their roster. And, because it's Ottawa, that'll have to be done on a tight budget.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I can see New Jersey as being very interested. They overachieved last year and made the playoffs but that team is lacking in talent but they aren't that young where they can wait on development. I see them trying to make some moves to improve the roster to make the playoffs again. The 17th could be in play or Severson. Severson had a down year last season but before that was a good looking young top 4 RD. Signed for a little over 4mil so not too bad going forward when we let Girardi and Coburn go. Would also make us possibly not need Stralman if he rebounds.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
200th career point for Miller. 28 of those came in 30 games with the Lightning. The guy has been rock solid for us.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
JT is Money if at least one of Kucherov or Stamkos can get into shooting mentality. You can't have 3 passers on a line and he's the best natural fit for them if their heads are on straight.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
JT money was money last night, keep him on the bottom six he's thriving down there, didn't think he even got a point but ended up for 2 assists. He sprung like 4 people on neutral zone passes, layed out Shattenkirk, his puck possession ability really helps the bottom 6 get zone time. With Erne on his game, I wonder what Miller-Paquette-Erne could do as a line.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
JT money was money last night, keep him on the bottom six he's thriving down there, didn't think he even got a point but ended up for 2 assists. He sprung like 4 people on neutral zone passes, layed out Shattenkirk, his puck possession ability really helps the bottom 6 get zone time. With Erne on his game, I wonder what Miller-Paquette-Erne could do as a line.

Well, assuming that means press-boxing Callahan, one thing it could do is make one thunderous head explode.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I know it's a popular theme to want to deal Miller off, but the man is quietly having himself a season and is only 25. Plus he has many useful attributes. Size, faceoff ability, works great up and down the lineup. Currently 4th on the team in scoring. That isn't a trade I am at all enthusiastic to make and wouldn't accept a lowball offer, like one which is being proposed on the main boards.

Reactions: JDBolt and mjtm777

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I know it's a popular theme to want to deal Miller off, but the man is quietly having himself a season and is only 25. Plus he has many useful attributes. Size, faceoff ability, works great up and down the lineup. Currently 4th on the team in scoring. That isn't a trade I am at all enthusiastic to make and wouldn't accept a lowball offer, like one which is being proposed on the main boards.

I don't know that we'll have another option. He's the guy whose NTC hasn't kicked in yet.

I think if he has a better playoff showing, we might have to get creative, but, to me, until we see him not be a disaster in the playoffs, he's still the guy.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Palat has a full NTC until 2020 right? Otherwise he might be the alternative to trading Miller. Miller brings more than Palat these days, let alone he'll play close to 82 games not 50/60-ish at best like Palat.

Last edited:

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I would rather move Callahan and Palat before losing Miller. Miller is better and makes a difference at times. Palat just doesn't have that in his game that regularly anymore and he is always banged up. Keep Miller unless things go south with him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I would rather move Callahan and Palat before losing Miller. Miller is better and makes a difference at times. Palat just doesn't have that in his game that regularly anymore and he is always banged up. Keep Miller unless things go south with him.

I don't really buy this. I mean, Callahan, obviously, but we've only seen one season where Palat hasn't eventually emerged as one of our better players.

I think we forget the playoffs too quickly, and Miller's playoff history, counting his time with the Rangers, is now the worst on the team in relation to expectations. If Miller has a great post-season, maybe we have to look at other options (if they even exist), but if that doesn't happen, I don't see why we'd move guys who've been an asset in the post-season.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Right now we say Miller but wait till second half Palat shows up. We might need that guy for the playoffs.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I don't really buy this. I mean, Callahan, obviously, but we've only seen one season where Palat hasn't eventually emerged as one of our better players.

I think we forget the playoffs too quickly, and Miller's playoff history, counting his time with the Rangers, is now the worst on the team in relation to expectations. If Miller has a great post-season, maybe we have to look at other options (if they even exist), but if that doesn't happen, I don't see why we'd move guys who've been an asset in the post-season.

Doesn't matter if you buy it or not, somebody has to be moved or let go in order to fit under the cap. Moving Callahan makes sense. An expensive 4th liner who probably will get around 10 goals at the expense of keeping better players is a no brainer and that's not undermining his still relatively important role he plays on the team.

Miller sucked in the playoffs but Palat has a knack for getting injured and disappearing for half a season. Take your pick. Palat didn't do much for half a season the past few years when we've needed him. He's better in the playoffs but given the emergence of Cirelli and Killorn's chemistry with Joseph and even Erne stepping up and in, this team is deep. I see Miller as somebody who can move up and down the lineup with the ability to gel. Palat isn't exactly that type that can move up and down and provide that spark. Put Palat with Paquette and Erne and Palat won't be the guy making plays. Miller would be an expensive bottom 6 winger but if he can keep the puck in another teams zone with Paquette, Erne, Callahan, Cirelli, etc, then that is a plus. Not to mention he has played three consecutive full seasons while being a player willing to throw the body. Palat has stone hands and average finishing and has missed considerable time. Sure postseason might be different but that can change. Palat is very vanilla and has been for a couple seasons.

Look at Johnson, he looks completely rejuvenated this season. As does Coburn. Palat just looks the same as he has the past two seasons. I'd rather keep Miller and move Palat.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Doesn't matter if you buy it or not, somebody has to be moved or let go in order to fit under the cap. Moving Callahan makes sense. An expensive 4th liner who probably will get around 10 goals at the expense of keeping better players is a no brainer and that's not undermining his still relatively important role he plays on the team.

Miller sucked in the playoffs but Palat has a knack for getting injured and disappearing for half a season. Take your pick. Palat didn't do much for half a season the past few years when we've needed him. He's better in the playoffs but given the emergence of Cirelli and Killorn's chemistry with Joseph and even Erne stepping up and in, this team is deep. I see Miller as somebody who can move up and down the lineup with the ability to gel. Palat isn't exactly that type that can move up and down and provide that spark. Put Palat with Paquette and Erne and Palat won't be the guy making plays. Miller would be an expensive bottom 6 winger but if he can keep the puck in another teams zone with Paquette, Erne, Callahan, Cirelli, etc, then that is a plus. Not to mention he has played three consecutive full seasons while being a player willing to throw the body. Palat has stone hands and average finishing and has missed considerable time. Sure postseason might be different but that can change. Palat is very vanilla and has been for a couple seasons.

Look at Johnson, he looks completely rejuvenated this season. As does Coburn. Palat just looks the same as he has the past two seasons. I'd rather keep Miller and move Palat.

Doesnt Palat have a ntc? Miller is probably the easier move. Unless BB wants to start asking guys to waive their NTC.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Doesnt Palat have a ntc? Miller is probably the easier move. Unless BB wants to start asking guys to waive their NTC.

Without double checking, I believe so.

My main problem is paying Palat 100% of his pay when hes got a history of injuries. Sure he is the better player come playoffs but I would like to give Miller another chance with the way he's played this year. He was great last year until the postseason and failed us but I just feel like Palat is expendable at this point. I wouldn't mind keeping him but I think it goes without being said, somebody is going to have to be moved more than likely.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Palat disappears for half the season either injured or taking too long to get intogame mode. He just doesnt create as much anymore and his 2 way game has become less effective with the speed on the game.

Miller has one good playoff and he substantialially outweighs Palat given age, health and on ice impact. To me, Palat is the one who needs to show he's worth his contract.

Miller might be easier to move but leaving us with the worse player on a more expensive contract isn't ideal for the team either. When we run out of superstars on ELC's every performing contract becomes that much more important.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Nobody's arguing Callahan should be the first one out. But beyond that, Miller has 3 playoff goals vs. Palat's 20, in a similar sample size, and Miller doesn't have a NTC. I would argue we're at a point where we need guys who can produce in the playoffs first and foremost.

I think there's a lot of recency bias happening here. Palat had one bad season. The year before, he was a key part of our near comeback, and, yet again, went a ppg down the stretch. I'm not saying he's a perfect player, and I'm as vocal about his long disappearances as anybody, but I'll take the guy who scores in the playoffs.

The other thing about Miller is, yeah, he's putting up points while playing primarily in the bottom six, but nearly half of those points have come on the PP, where I'm not sure he's a massive difference-maker, at least not above a replacement.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Without double checking, I believe so.

My main problem is paying Palat 100% of his pay when hes got a history of injuries. Sure he is the better player come playoffs but I would like to give Miller another chance with the way he's played this year. He was great last year until the postseason and failed us but I just feel like Palat is expendable at this point. I wouldn't mind keeping him but I think it goes without being said, somebody is going to have to be moved more than likely.

Imo we need to start trimming fat and guys not living up to their caphit, it's the best way to stay efficient with the cap crunch we'll have. Johnson is too valuable at his price range and Miller is a 25 year old with upside signed for his entire prime, we're just not going to get good value back for 2 performing players on good contracts. Palat has a reputation around the league that you could upsell, while not a lot of teams know he takes 3 months to get into form while being the most expensive of our seconardy scoring, he doesn't have Miller's versatility either, you can't stick him in the bottom 6 and get production he pretty much needs to be with talent to produce.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Nobody's arguing Callahan should be the first one out. But beyond that, Miller has 3 playoff goals vs. Palat's 20, in a similar sample size, and Miller doesn't have a NTC. I would argue we're at a point where we need guys who can produce in the playoffs first and foremost.

I think there's a lot of recency bias happening here. Palat had one bad season. The year before, he was a key part of our near comeback, and, yet again, went a ppg down the stretch. I'm not saying he's a perfect player, and I'm as vocal about his long disappearances as anybody, but I'll take the guy who scores in the playoffs.

The other thing about Miller is, yeah, he's putting up points while playing primarily in the bottom six, but nearly half of those points have come on the PP, where I'm not sure he's a massive difference-maker, at least not above a replacement.

It is not all about Points. Miller brings a ton to the team.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
They are kind of similar players in the physical aspect of the game. Palat is better defensively and Miller is better offensively. On a team that could always use defense I think I lean towards keeping Palat. He was a near elite 2 way player not too long ago.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Imo we need to start trimming fat and guys not living up to their caphit, it's the best way to stay efficient with the cap crunch we'll have. Johnson is too valuable at his price range and Miller is a 25 year old with upside signed for his entire prime, we're just not going to get good value back for 2 performing players on good contracts. Palat has a reputation around the league that you could upsell, while not a lot of teams know he takes 3 months to get into form while being the most expensive of our seconardy scoring, he doesn't have Miller's versatility either, you can't stick him in the bottom 6 and get production he pretty much needs to be with talent to produce.
To add to this, I think with Killorn finding a niche with Cirelli, and the emergence of Cirelli and Joseph generally as superb PKers, Palat is a bit more redundant to our team than he used to be. We have a ton of two-way players now - when he broke out that wasn't the case.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It is not all about Points. Miller brings a ton to the team.

And he has a long history of bringing none of that in the playoffs, if you go back to his Ranger days. Palat has a long history of being very good/great down the stretch and "pretty good" in the playoffs. Well, about on par with playoff Killorn.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
And he has a long history of bringing none of that in the playoffs, if you go back to his Ranger days. Palat has a long history of being very good/great down the stretch and "pretty good" in the playoffs. Well, about on par with playoff Killorn.

Miller is also a player who's gotten better every season he's been in the league and continuing his trend, does anyone think Palat will get any better than he currently is? Either way, we'll have both for this upcoming playoffs so we'll see how that goes first.

Reactions: LordZapp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad