Player Discussion: J.T. Miller

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Safe to say Miller is gone in the off-season right? He wasn't bad but he also didn't make any difference whatsoever. I was on his side most of the time he's been with us and I think he didn't get a fair chance at times. But in the end, it's a $5.25M cap hit we can spend better elsewhere.
He's definitely a player I'd like to upgrade. At 6'1'' 218, Erne and him are the "biggest" forwards we have. Those heavy big complementary guys who can also skate are a little hard to find, but I'd look to upgrade there before we look at the smaller skilled guys.

I'm thinking mainly about helping us match up better against certain teams come next playoffs.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He's definitely a player I'd like to upgrade. At 6'1'' 218, Erne and him are the "biggest" forwards we have. Those heavy big complementary guys who can also skate are a little hard to find, but I'd look to upgrade there before we look at the smaller skilled guys.

I'm thinking mainly about helping us match up better against certain teams come next playoffs.
I don't care how big Miller is - he's basically Sustr when it comes to physicality.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I don't care how big Miller is - he's basically Sustr when it comes to physicality.

This was always a wonder when he was with the Rangers. Don't know if you followed him with the NTDP, but he was a physical kid and played with a real nasty edge. This evaporated at the NHL level. I almost wonder if he was a bully at that level since he was a bigger kid which just faded once he began playing against men. It was a bizarre change to see in his game. He was nothing in like he was as a kid when he came up to the NHL.

I'm still ecstatic he's no longer a Ranger since he's one of the most infuriating prospects I've ever seen develop on the team as all of the edgy parts of his game that made him a unique prospect just evaporated.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He plays the body, but you either get physical Miller or goal-scorer Miller, but never both.l

Yeah this, he has a weird factor where you either get a skilled soft game from him or a heavy but unproductive game from him but never the same time.

Still, I don't care how much "size" you need - you still have to be smart about it, I'd rather none then cripple us going for one just for the sake of one. See: Lucic.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Yeah this, he has a weird factor where you either get a skilled soft game from him or a heavy but unproductive game from him but never the same time.

Still, I don't care how much "size" you need - you still have to be smart about it, I'd rather none then cripple us going for one just for the sake of one. See: Lucic.
I definitely agree about making knee-jerk, just-get-a-big-guy moves. The right guys like that are hard to come by.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Miller is much more useful than Palat and Johnson so I really don’t feel like moving him just because we can.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Miller is much more useful than Palat and Johnson so I really don’t feel like moving him just because we can.

He's also the youngest and easiest to move later on, Palat and Johnson don't really have anymore upside.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
He's also the youngest and easiest to move later on, Palat and Johnson don't really have anymore upside.
Palat will be tough to move, even if he waives his NTC though. He's never played a full season since 2013-14. Will miss 10-30 games per season and his goal scoring is on a steady decline. His two-way play is also nowhere near where it used to be.

Johnson is at least still good for 20 goals and 45-50 points per season and has his playoff heroics from 2014 to 2016 in his resume.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I like Miller. I think he gets a raw deal from Cooper. If he would be put with Stamkos and a guy that isn't just a f'n anchor like Palat, he'd be a good top 6.

He's gonna be dealt though.

Its a Bolts Life

Jan 29, 2015
Miller gets bounced around the lineup a lot doesn't he?
Has he really gelled with anyone on the team? He has the skill to be a important player to this team, I just can see how we are going to get that skill to come out.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015

So is a traffic cone if you want to make parking at Amalie more efficient.

I'd rather dump his salary now, along with Palat's useless arse, and keep Point for 5 years with no NMC.

At this point in time, it's time to pay the young talent with no guarantees, even if it is for just 3-5 year contracts.

Miller is what he is, flashes of good play and happy to get a paycheck and participation trophy.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't mind Miller but it seems like Cooper is awfully quick to put him in the doghouse.
I just don't see the big hurrah about this guy. He's a Swiss Army knife at forward that can do just about anything but he's not any kind of player who should be relied on as a primary source of offense come playoff time. It's pretty bad when I'd take Killorn or Johnson over him day and night in the playoffs. At least I can cite some sort of track record of success with them. This fella has 3 goals in 61 games.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
From what I read here, looks like he may be moved. What would you guys be wanting in return?

Was thinking perhaps a Rust-Miller swap. You guys save $1.75mil. Get a good top 6, speedy wing back. We get similar.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
From what I read here, looks like he may be moved. What would you guys be wanting in return?

Was thinking perhaps a Rust-Miller swap. You guys save $1.75mil. Get a good top 6, speedy wing back. We get similar.
so you want to trade a 26 year old right wing 3rd round pick for a 26 year old first round center ?? i mean is this serious? start adding. IS NOTHING wrong with miller he is one our better guys in faceoffs and in puck possession honestly. His only problem imho is that the team is ran by cooper for now... So no thanks they dont compare... I am very ok that we lost vladdy for miller not ok with coopers decisions but we have to wait till they make him leave at this point which will happen...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad