Player Discussion: J.T. Miller

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Miller is also a player who's gotten better every season he's been in the league and continuing his trend, does anyone think Palat will get any better than he currently is? Either way, we'll have both for this upcoming playoffs so we'll see how that goes first.

Definitely agreed on the last bit. If Miller outperforms Palat in the playoffs, I think it changes the question.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Not really sure how fair it is to compare Miller's playoff performances versus Palat...especially when you consider Palat was playing with either Kucherov or Johnson, and often both, on his line for a lot of those games. If you're going to do a comparison, it should be as close to apples to apples as we can get.

I'm pretty sure those linemates are better than pretty much any the Rangers could have run out with Miller.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Not really sure how fair it is to compare Miller's playoff performances versus Palat...especially when you consider Palat was playing with either Kucherov or Johnson, and often both, on his line for a lot of those games. If you're going to do a comparison, it should be as close to apples to apples as we can get.

I'm pretty sure those linemates are better than pretty much any the Rangers could have run out with Miller.

Well you can always compare Millers time to when he played with Stamkos and Kucherov. I mean it was good, very good late in the season last year but for whatever reason that line just overall wasnt particularly great in the playoffs. Nor to start this year. But I think Miller has been really good this year. I agree with the guys above in saying that he has been a very valuable forward to have because he really fits into any role on this team. Palat just seems like he gets better when things get more intense/important. I think this is why we see him play better in the second half vs the first. While lately its been the opposite for Miller. I still think Miller can be a very good playoff player too. Hes got the make, just needs to do it. Overall like Millers potential while I like Palats track record. Like I said Im glad I dont have to decide who we keep or send away for cap purposes.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Miller played with Stamkos and Kucherov last year to start the playoffs.

The Rangers went to a cup final in 2014. It's not like they had terrible teams throughout Miller's career there. I think there'd be a better argument for not holding Miller's NYR performances against him if he wasn't just as bad with us last year in the playoffs.

I'm not ruling out him proving himself this year or anything. But I think he absolutely HAS to do that in order to not be the odd man out.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
To me it would come down to what we get for either of them. Hell you could add Killorn and Johnson to that as well, I'd trade any of them for the right price. We have enough depth on the current roster and some good prospects coming through, even though we don't have anyone really high end anymore. Also guys like Stephens and Volkov aren't doing as well this year, Stephens is more injury related, while Katchouk and Raddysh are coming along slower than last year's rookies did. Either way I take the best offer for any of them and not look back. All 4 are really good and help the team but they aren't the line drivers any longer. Point, Kucherov and even Stamkos somewhat are driving the play. On the lower lines I see Joseph and Cirelli pushing the play more than Killorn. Palat is no longer the straw that stirs the drink and Miller is just a jack of all trades fit in anywhere guy but can be replaced. Get the highest pick and best prospect you can for any of them and move on.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
To me it would come down to what we get for either of them. Hell you could add Killorn and Johnson to that as well, I'd trade any of them for the right price. We have enough depth on the current roster and some good prospects coming through, even though we don't have anyone really high end anymore. Also guys like Stephens and Volkov aren't doing as well this year, Stephens is more injury related, while Katchouk and Raddysh are coming along slower than last year's rookies did. Either way I take the best offer for any of them and not look back. All 4 are really good and help the team but they aren't the line drivers any longer. Point, Kucherov and even Stamkos somewhat are driving the play. On the lower lines I see Joseph and Cirelli pushing the play more than Killorn. Palat is no longer the straw that stirs the drink and Miller is just a jack of all trades fit in anywhere guy but can be replaced. Get the highest pick and best prospect you can for any of them and move on.

I’d take Johnson out of that list. Besides his history of playoff heroics he is one of our top even strength goal scorers and his ability to play center gives us invaluable depth at the position in the event that Point or Stamkos goes down. In addition our farm system is full of solid two-way players but we’re short on high end goal scorers. I agree that at this point any of Palat, Killorn, or Miller could go and we’d be ok but IMO we aren’t yet in a position where TJ is expendable.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Probably the only player on this team who isn't expendable is Vasy and that's not really true either since LD came in and we kept winning.

I agree though, I would put TJ right there behind the big 3 in terms of valuable skilled forward, our other point producers are complimentary where as TJ has an offensive skill set that isn't easily replaced

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
One of only 2 players with a - on the team.
Yeah, both at -1 but still.

Stamkos is the other one, he has 57 points, 34 of them at even strength. On the team with the best goal differential at +57 in the entire league. We have 49 PPG, 5 SHG and 142 ESG. Stammer has the 3rd highest TOI among our forwards behind #86 and #21 (ES as well as total TOI). And yet he is still a -1. How is that even possible.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yeah, both at -1 but still.

Stamkos is the other one, he has 57 points, 34 of them at even strength. On the team with the best goal differential at +57 in the entire league. We have 49 PPG, 5 SHG and 142 ESG. Stammer has the 3rd highest TOI among our forwards behind #86 and #21 (ES as well as total TOI). And yet he is still a -1. How is that even possible.

One dimensional player.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
2nd + Jones + Spooner for Miller no retention. If you want us to retain it has to be your 1sr because that's 4 years of retention.
Thanks to everyone. I'd have been surprised if the retention was not an issue but the Oilers cap next year will be quite tight so every penny helps.

That said I am somewhat surprised to see Spooner in here give how tight TB's cap might be next year as well. Jones would be a tough one to move I suspect given the Oilers uncertainty with Sekera. But it is good to see that others value him as a prospect.

Bear is actually a very similar level. But I think with Bouchard and Persson he might be more expendable. In any case, I was really just testing the waters for a ballpark price so I appreciate the responses.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Thanks to everyone. I'd have been surprised if the retention was not an issue but the Oilers cap next year will be quite tight so every penny helps.

That said I am somewhat surprised to see Spooner in here give how tight TB's cap might be next year as well. Jones would be a tough one to move I suspect given the Oilers uncertainty with Sekera. But it is good to see that others value him as a prospect.

Bear is actually a very similar level. But I think with Bouchard and Persson he might be more expendable. In any case, I was really just testing the waters for a ballpark price so I appreciate the responses.

Spooner is there because we can easily afford him this year, he would be great for Syracuse on a Calder run and his buyout is only like 500k more than a retention but for two years and not four.

I used to like Bear but he hasn't developed as well this year so don't see the potential like I do with Jones. Jones would be a good cheap bottom pair defender for us next year which we desperately need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad