Player Discussion: J.T. Miller

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I've been reading thru the old posts in the Ryan Callahan thread. It's funny how Miller is now what Cally was in his first two seasons with us. First line winger with physicality, net presence and smart plays.

He has a reputation of taking bad penalities but so far in the playoffs I can't really blame him for the PIM. Most of them were just weak calls by the refs looking to rebalance the game. If he gets a few more goals his "playoff curse" will be a thing of the past.

He's 25 though, and doesn't play a so-physical-he-can't-keep-this-up-forever style. If we keep Miller around, I'm sure he'll frustrate us at times too, just like in NY, but injuries decimated Callahan more than anything else.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I've been reading thru the old posts in the Ryan Callahan thread. It's funny how Miller is now what Cally was in his first two seasons with us. First line winger with physicality, net presence and smart plays.

He has a reputation of taking bad penalities but so far in the playoffs I can't really blame him for the PIM. Most of them were just weak calls by the refs looking to rebalance the game. If he gets a few more goals his "playoff curse" will be a thing of the past.
JT is so much better than Cally was in my opinion. I'm pretty upset we traded him to you guys. Big, young guy who can skate, play tough, very good passer, etc. I really do not have any clue why we traded him. He is the kind of player every team would like to add to their roster.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Cally is the reason most of the ex-Rangers are here. If Yzerman does not resign him when he was a FA, we never end up with Boyle, Stralman and the McD/JT trade probably never happens. Yes Cally is no where near the player he once was and is clearly not worth his current contract in terms of playing ability but the return of former Rangers still makes up for it. We probably see Cally on our team one more year and then he will be either bought out or included in a trade with expansion Seattle team (think Garrison Solution)!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Cally is the reason most of the ex-Rangers are here. If Yzerman does not resign him when he was a FA, we never end up with Boyle, Stralman and the McD/JT trade probably never happens. Yes Cally is no where near the player he once was and is clearly not worth his current contract in terms of playing ability but the return of former Rangers still makes up for it. We probably see Cally on our team one more year and then he will be either bought out or included in a trade with expansion Seattle team (think Garrison Solution)!

That argument has always been ridiculous.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Well particularly, why in the world was the JT/McD trade dependent on it? The players involved had no say in where they wanted to go.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ryan Callahan is not Jesus, leading players to the TB promised land. Or Moses. Maybe I'm getting my Bible metaphors mixed up. But whatever. It's a business, it's a competition, and TB is a winning team where players don't have to pay state income tax. Ex-Rangers aren't coming here because their lord and savior Ryan ****ing Callahan is here.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
WhaTs yzerman’s plan with JT Miller as a RFA ? Does he trade him ? Sign him for 5 to 6 years ? Or does a one year contract and plays it out till the next offseason?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Miller can kick rocks. He was nice for a few weeks and did what he does best: disappearing in the playoffs. We have enough of that problem going around. With that said we don't need him and that money can go elsewhere. Trade him on draft day

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
WhaTs yzerman’s plan with JT Miller as a RFA ? Does he trade him ? Sign him for 5 to 6 years ? Or does a one year contract and plays it out till the next offseason?
If it’s long term it better not be with a full NTC. Next summer when he needs to re-sign Kucherov and Point somebody will need to be moved and Johnson, Killorn, and Palat will all have a full NTC in effect. Of course if Johnson is moved this year before his NTC kicks in, that changes things. Anyone who thinks it will be easy to move a guy with a full NTC from a state with no taxes is kidding themselves, because it’s not just a team they don’t want to leave, it’s a pay cut.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I think if Yzerman can get him to sign cheaply enough it’ll be a short but multi-year deal with the idea of bringing him back next season and then flipping him when we need the cap space to resign key members of our core; if Yzerman can’t get him cheaply enough then it’ll probably be a one-year arbitration deal with the same end result. I just don’t see Miller factoring into our longterm plans unless we trade Johnson or Palat for a defenseman, and even then it’s not a sure thing that he sticks around.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wouldn't want him at anything close to $5m. He was really good in the regular season, but morphed into Teddy Purcell II come playoff time (he was solid against NJ though).

I think we're gonna use him to get back into the first round on Draft Day. I wouldn't be shocked to see both him and Johnson gone for $ reasons by October, one of them for a good draft pick, and the other for somebody (a defenseman?) who makes less money.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I wouldn't want him at anything close to $5m. He was really good in the regular season, but morphed into Teddy Purcell II come playoff time (he was solid against NJ though).

I think we're gonna use him to get back into the first round on Draft Day. I wouldn't be shocked to see both him and Johnson gone for $ reasons by October, one of them for a good draft pick, and the other for somebody (a defenseman?) who makes less money.
I have to think Arizona is going to be active and we have some pieces they ought to like, especially JT.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I have to think Arizona is going to be active and we have some pieces they ought to like, especially JT.

A team like the Leafs could be interested, if we're willing to trade him inside the division. I feel like their pick is right around the # we could expect to get back. But then again, Yzerman's always been more about quantity of picks than quality, so maybe he goes looking for like a low 1st + a 3rd, or maybe two 2nds and a middling prospect. Always hard to predict Yzerman.

My gut feeling is Miller doesn't stick with the team though. Doesn't sound like we were targeting him in the trade, but NYR threw him in as a big bonus. So, if we're talking about gearing the team more for the playoffs, Miller's not a guy I'm in a hurry to throw money at. And we know Yzerman likes to recoup assets lost in other deals.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
When yzerman makes a deal to trade for a player and Stevie gave up a lot it wouldn’t surprise me to see him resign Miller and mcdonagh long term

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
When yzerman makes a deal to trade for a player and Stevie why gave up a lot it wouldn’t surprise me to see him resign Miller and mcdonagh long term

I can't see him getting a long term deal. Miller is a LW, he can play some C but best on the wing. With Palat signed for 4 years and Killorn 5 of we sign Miller long term we block spots for some of our best prospects in Katchouk, Joseph and Volkov. They need to be on the big club a hell of a lot sooner than 4 years from now. If we sign Miller it should be a Schenn like deal, something like 4 years over 5mil with no NTC. Build up his value another year then move him for a decent haul.

The 3 prospects could always pull an Erne and come up only to disappoint but I can't see them doing that. It would be best to try to get these guys in the lineup early like Cirelli where we are getting cheap talent in the top 9 contributing. We could move one to the right but we still got Raddysh and Stephen's as RW's who look like too 9 talent. If it was me I'd try to move Johnson, Miller and Killorn in the next year. I think enough of the prospects are ready to replace them sooner than later.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I can't see him getting a long term deal. Miller is a LW, he can play some C but best on the wing. With Palat signed for 4 years and Killorn 5 of we sign Miller long term we block spots for some of our best prospects in Katchouk, Joseph and Volkov. They need to be on the big club a hell of a lot sooner than 4 years from now. If we sign Miller it should be a Schenn like deal, something like 4 years over 5mil with no NTC. Build up his value another year then move him for a decent haul.

The 3 prospects could always pull an Erne and come up only to disappoint but I can't see them doing that. It would be best to try to get these guys in the lineup early like Cirelli where we are getting cheap talent in the top 9 contributing. We could move one to the right but we still got Raddysh and Stephen's as RW's who look like too 9 talent. If it was me I'd try to move Johnson, Miller and Killorn in the next year. I think enough of the prospects are ready to replace them sooner than later.
I think it’s a bad idea to not resign miller he is 25 years old if you sign him to a 4-5 year deal your getting all his best prime years. I think people get concerned and scared when you hand out those deals it’s not like 2 years from now that Stevie can’t trade him even with a ntc it only controls where he can get traded to. Miller is a 20 plus goal scorer type of player killorn has never hit 20 goals and probably never will. Why not try to move killorn somewhere?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think it’s a bad idea to not resign miller he is 25 years old if you sign him to a 4-5 year deal your getting all his best prime years. I think people get concerned and scared when you hand out those deals it’s not like 2 years from now that Stevie can’t trade him even with a ntc it only controls where he can get traded to. Miller is a 20 plus goal scorer type of player killorn has never hit 20 goals and probably never will. Why not try to move killorn somewhere?

I never said not to resign Miller, I said we should look to move him especially if we get a Schenn like deal for him. I'm not scared to sign him long term either, I just don't think it's wise to have 3 LW signed for 4 or more years all making over 4mil, we need one of those spots to be a much cheaper player. It's not like any of them are 30 goal scorers or 70 point players where we will miss them greatly.

I wouldn't have a problem trading Killorn but his NTC will limit our options and lower the return. Killorn gets a lot a heat but the guy is consistent, he'll give you 16g 25a 41p a year, that's his career totals and he steps up in the playoffs. Miller for his career averages 19g 24a 43p and his production in the postseason goes down. Now his numbers the last 3 years have been much better and he has three straight 20g seasons. He put up 18 points in the 19 games with us but was a -3, Killorn was a +22 last year. Miller will produce 5g 5a 10p more than Killorn but probably makes 1mil more while not being a better all around guy who isn't as good in the playoffs. I'd rather keep Killorn where he can still produce even on the 3rd line and at 4.45 isn't that overpaid, move Miller and replace him with Katchouk or Joseph and save millions.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I never said not to resign Miller, I said we should look to move him especially if we get a Schenn like deal for him. I'm not scared to sign him long term either, I just don't think it's wise to have 3 LW signed for 4 or more years all making over 4mil, we need one of those spots to be a much cheaper player. It's not like any of them are 30 goal scorers or 70 point players where we will miss them greatly.

I wouldn't have a problem trading Killorn but his NTC will limit our options and lower the return. Killorn gets a lot a heat but the guy is consistent, he'll give you 16g 25a 41p a year, that's his career totals and he steps up in the playoffs. Miller for his career averages 19g 24a 43p and his production in the postseason goes down. Now his numbers the last 3 years have been much better and he has three straight 20g seasons. He put up 18 points in the 19 games with us but was a -3, Killorn was a +22 last year. Miller will produce 5g 5a 10p more than Killorn but probably makes 1mil more while not being a better all around guy who isn't as good in the playoffs. I'd rather keep Killorn where he can still produce even on the 3rd line and at 4.45 isn't that overpaid, move Miller and replace him with Katchouk or Joseph and save millions.
Save millions for what to bring in ? Another fan girardi defenseman? We don’t have cap issues this year it’s when they got to sign point and Kucherov. Sign miller worry about it when the cap comes like yzerman always does. I’d like to have miller and katchouk what’s wrong with that ? You can sign miller for 6 years and not let his ntc kick in till July 1st 2019 and get more value for him next offseason if you wanted

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Save millions for what to bring in ? Another fan girardi defenseman? We don’t have cap issues this year it’s when they got to sign point and Kucherov. Sign miller worry about it when the cap comes like yzerman always does. I’d like to have miller and katchouk what’s wrong with that ? You can sign miller for 6 years and not let his ntc kick in till July 1st 2019 and get more value for him next offseason if you wanted

Save Millions to prepare for the raises Kucherov, Point, Sergachev and Vasilevskiy will be getting in the next few years. Yes we can wait to move Miller but the longer you wait the more pressed against the cap you become and you have to take a worse deal to open up cap space, just look at Chicago for that. If we don't get any good offers than we wait but if we can get a 1st + A/B prospect then move him and get Joseph up so he has a full year under his belt to help us in the playoffs next year and going forward. I'm not high on Miller so I wouldn't care if we traded him and kept Killorn.

Last year Killorn had 13g - 25a for 38p at ES, Miller between NY and us had 12g - 28a - 40p at ES. Miller also got to play with Stamkos and Kucherov on the top like while Killorn was a 3rd liner. Miller is the better offensive player but we have plenty of other options for point production. Miller doesn't score that much more at ES while being on the top line and his all around game is weaker. Why would we keep him and pay him more if we aren't improving all that much?

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Miller is a no show during the playoffs before he got here and when he was here. Sorry but that won't cut it. Perform or get gone. I wish Cooper had some balls and call out Kuch and STammer for playing Casper during the playoffs. But he's probably too busy going to brunch with them and weddings and being their BFF. I really hate Cooper.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Save Millions to prepare for the raises Kucherov, Point, Sergachev and Vasilevskiy will be getting in the next few years. Yes we can wait to move Miller but the longer you wait the more pressed against the cap you become and you have to take a worse deal to open up cap space, just look at Chicago for that. If we don't get any good offers than we wait but if we can get a 1st + A/B prospect then move him and get Joseph up so he has a full year under his belt to help us in the playoffs next year and going forward. I'm not high on Miller so I wouldn't care if we traded him and kept Killorn.

Last year Killorn had 13g - 25a for 38p at ES, Miller between NY and us had 12g - 28a - 40p at ES. Miller also got to play with Stamkos and Kucherov on the top like while Killorn was a 3rd liner. Miller is the better offensive player but we have plenty of other options for point production. Miller doesn't score that much more at ES while being on the top line and his all around game is weaker. Why would we keep him and pay him more if we aren't improving all that much?
What stats are you look at ? Miller has had 3 20 plus goal seasons in a row! If he plays with stamkos and Kucherov he probably scores 25 to 28 goals easy. Heck gourde scored 25 goals for us this year who would have ever seen that coming? Guys that need to go are killorn and Johnson for cap reasons.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
8474578.jpg

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Miller is a no show during the playoffs before he got here and when he was here. Sorry but that won't cut it. Perform or get gone. I wish Cooper had some balls and call out Kuch and STammer for playing Casper during the playoffs. But he's probably too cust going to brunch with them and wedding and being their BFF. I really hate Cooper.
Yzerman gave up a lot to get Miller and mcdonagh and usually when he does that he ends up resigning the players. He did for coburn and Callahan etc..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->