Player Discussion: J.T. Miller

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Spooner is there because we can easily afford him this year, he would be great for Syracuse on a Calder run and his buyout is only like 500k more than a retention but for two years and not four.

I used to like Bear but he hasn't developed as well this year so don't see the potential like I do with Jones. Jones would be a good cheap bottom pair defender for us next year which we desperately need.

Bear was hurt early on and had a slow start but is back to playing extremely well. He is playing on the top paring in Bakersfield and they are on a run. His offensive instincts are first rate but it is his defensive game that has taken the biggest steps this year. Honestly, these two go back and forth as to who might be the more valuable with Jones probably having the slight lead right now in many people's eyes due to his recent play with the big club. It would be tough to give up either. Bear is a RHD which might make him more attractive to some teams though that may not be a big deal here. Personally I would not trade either player for a pick in the 20-31 range this year.

Again, I appreciate the thoughtful responses.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Bear was hurt early on and had a slow start but is back to playing extremely well. He is playing on the top paring in Bakersfield and they are on a run. His offensive instincts are first rate but it is his defensive game that has taken the biggest steps this year. Honestly, these two go back and forth as to who might be the more valuable with Jones probably having the slight lead right now in many people's eyes due to his recent play with the big club. It would be tough to give up either. Bear is a RHD which might make him more attractive to some teams though that may not be a big deal here. Personally I would not trade either player for a pick in the 20-31 range this year.
I like Ethan Bear. Hope he turns into a solid NHL defender

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
4th liner now, don’t really understand why. I think it’s a safe bet he’s gonzo in the offseason.

Hope he leaves with memories of a cup.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
4th liner now, don’t really understand why. I think it’s a safe bet he’s gonzo in the offseason.

Hope he leaves with memories of a cup.
He should really be on a line with Stamkos. I don't think alot of people know why he is on the 4th line, but hopefully he is with Stamkos for the first game of the playoffs. He is probably gone this offseason though.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I'm not convinced it's anything Miller is doing wrong. He's put up similar #'s to TJ and Gourde, you can only do so much in a complimentary role with limited ice time, and I think we are being greedy thinking he could get thrown around the lineup with new linemates and just keep producing great numbers.

TJ, Palat, Gourde, Killorn, and Miller are all 5 complimentary guys whom we could replace and shouldn't have NTC/NMC's, but his ceiling is probably higher than the other 4.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'm not convinced it's anything Miller is doing wrong. He's put up similar #'s to TJ and Gourde, you can only do so much in a complimentary role with limited ice time, and I think we are being greedy thinking he could get thrown around the lineup with new linemates and just keep producing great numbers.

TJ, Palat, Gourde, Killorn, and Miller are all 5 complimentary guys whom we could replace and shouldn't have NTC/NMC's, but his ceiling is probably higher than the other 4.

No but I think he and Stamkos sure look a lot more dangerous together than apart, especially if Palat is the other choice. Yes Miller can play on the 4th and be fine, so can Palat except Palat doesn't have as much upside in the top-6 as Miller right now.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
No but I think he and Stamkos sure look a lot more dangerous together than apart, especially if Palat is the other choice. Yes Miller can play on the 4th and be fine, so can Palat except Palat doesn't have as much upside in the top-6 as Miller right now.
Exactly. Palat has skills better suited to the 4th line than Miller does, and Miller is the more dangerous top 6 player offensively. They should be swapped in the lineup.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Palat has been better lately, but Miller should be to stapled to Stamkos
Miller is better at carrying the puck into the zone, protecting the puck, and of course passing.

My only issue with Miller is sometimes I want him to drive the net instead of pulling up on the half wall. I get Purcell flashbacks sometimes when he does that like... every time.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Miller is better at carrying the puck into the zone, protecting the puck, and of course passing.

My only issue with Miller is sometimes I want him to drive the net instead of pulling up on the half wall. I get Purcell flashbacks sometimes when he does that like... every time.

Exactly this. It's my only problem with him, and it was really bad in the playoffs last year. I think he needs a big post-season to make the off-season decision tough.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Safe to say Miller is gone in the off-season right? He wasn't bad but he also didn't make any difference whatsoever. I was on his side most of the time he's been with us and I think he didn't get a fair chance at times. But in the end, it's a $5.25M cap hit we can spend better elsewhere.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Safe to say Miller is gone in the off-season right? He wasn't bad but he also didn't make any difference whatsoever. I was on his side most of the time he's been with us and I think he didn't get a fair chance at times. But in the end, it's a $5.25M cap hit we can spend better elsewhere.

We should move Palat and Johnson first, Miller wasn't impressive but he wasn't dead weight, I'm not sure where Johnson was this entire playoffs - he's overstayed his welcome. Johnson was stapled next to Kucherov and Point this entire year and despite that only managed 50 points, his playoff hereoics are behind him and he'll be 29 years old signed till he'd 33. Palat doesn't play hockey until February and even that's a hit or miss. Both guys are now part of the complacency problem. We can't ship out our big stars we should start with their surrounding pieces who've been here too long.

I can't believe they handed Gourde a God damn NTC too.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
We should move Palat and Johnson first, Miller wasn't impressive but he wasn't dead weight, I'm not sure where Johnson was this entire playoffs - he's overstayed his welcome. Johnson was stapled next to Kucherov and Point this entire year and despite that only managed 50 points, his playoff hereoics are behind him and he'll be 29 years old signed till he'd 33. Palat doesn't play hockey until February and even that's a hit or miss. Both guys are now part of the complacency problem. We can't ship out our big stars we should start with their surrounding pieces who've been here too long.

I can't believe they handed Gourde a God damn NTC too.
F*** those NTCs. I don't know how we are going to get them out of here.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
F*** those NTCs. I don't know how we are going to get them out of here.

It's almost like SY planned this knowing he was always going to go back to Detroit. Load up our roster with players that don't have the mentality needed to succeed in the playoffs, give them NTCs so we're stuck with them, and then bolt to Detroit.

I mean, if anyone was going to do that it would be him.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Hopefully those guys with NTCs think it's everyone else's fault and decides to waive them. "I don't want to play with these losers any more!" Psst.. you're one of them!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->