Its so clear we have to get some grindyness (toughness and thugness)

Ifittex il Verita

Sep 11, 2019
Moore and Timashov have been doing well playing a feisty game despite size. If they can throw a hit, surely our bigger stars can too once in a while.
Agreed 100%. It was in the post game thread I believe i said that Pastrnak for boston plays with the tenacity of Moore but has the great talent to go with it.
I hope to see our boys play with that same vigor.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It kinda looks like the coaching change argument is hinged on whether or not our players will really make that crucial change to their game and have our top-6 play with the ferocity of Boston's top line.
IMO, it could atleast expose the problem further for management to start making some moves to fix it.

well TBVH i don't understand what all the fuss is about

i don't see why this is a make it happen or break it up season

for the love of christ we just got this team signed up long term.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Agreed 100%. It was in the post game thread I believe i said that Pastrnak for boston plays with the tenacity of Moore but has the great talent to go with it.
I hope to see our boys play with that same vigor.
i remember when the melander fan boys cried that he deserved Pastrnak money

well, i am still waiting to see him do what he does.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
i remember when the melander fan boys cried that he deserved Pastrnak money

well, i am still waiting to see him do what he does.

Melander is currently producing at the same rate as Pastrnak.

My issue is with the hometown hero making a salary almost that of Melander and Pastrnak combined.

Reactions: Hustlr

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Melander is currently producing at the same rate as Pastrnak. and here i thought you actually judged deeper then just points, hrmmm.

My issue is with the hometown hero making a salary almost that of Melander and Pastrnak combined.
oh, you think i am one bit happy about Rich miner right now??? not one bloody bit.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
oh, you think i am one bit happy about Rich miner right now??? not one bloody bit.

Good thing we’re on the same page there. At nearly $11 million Mitch Marner can’t just be a fancy points compiler because we’ve seen even though his stats line looks good the team is only .500 and he looks dreadful in game. That’s gotta change.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Good thing we’re on the same page there. At nearly $11 million Mitch Marner can’t just be a fancy points compiler because we’ve seen even though his stats line looks good the team is only .500 and he looks dreadful in game. That’s gotta change.
i really think that line needs a "new look" before hyman returns

i am very curious to see mikey on left wing for a few games.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
i really think that line needs a "new look" before hyman returns

i am very curious to see mikey on left wing for a few games.

I don’t want to get into the idea that JT and Mitch needs a guy making $900K to get them going to be honest.

Reactions: Nylander88

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I don’t want to get into the idea that JT and Mitch needs a guy making $900K to get them going to be honest.
oh, i hear you clearly BUT

i did play/coach/gm the beautiful game for 41 straight winters and i did learn a thing or two

there is a thing called chemistry with line mates and Kappy has absolutely 0 with jt/mm and yet ,,,that so called slug hyman (sad his last name is that, since he is the least pssy on the roster, wink) has TONS

i am just curious to see what would happen with Mikey there for a few games before hymans return

TBVH this is more about getting kappy off that line so he can have a chance to regain some confidence, he is playing like a broken player right now.

But of course my idea is NOT without it's draw backs , it would be breaking up our most productive 5 v 5 line atm. Kinda why i said "curious" and not have to/must.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It kinda looks like the coaching change argument is hinged on whether or not our players will really make that crucial change to their game and have our top-6 play with the ferocity of Boston's top line.
IMO, it could atleast expose the problem further for management to start making some moves to fix it.
phat fill kessel is considered by many to be a star in this league, no?

high octane offence ,, something that is WAYYYYYYY overly prized here by posters.

curious thing, he is already on his 4th team and one team even had retain $ on his inflated cap demands just to move his arse out.

so i ask , when do such "PRIZED" players end up on 4 different teams in such a short time?

answer: when they are flat out terrible at every other aspect of the game and they don't want his cancerous ways/attitude to infect the rest of the roster.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
phat fill kessel is considered by many to be a star in this league, no?

high octane offence ,, something that is WAYYYYYYY overly prized here by posters.

curious thing, he is already on his 4th team and one team even had retain $ on his inflated cap demands just to move his arse out.

so i ask , when do such "PRIZED" players end up on 4 different teams in such a short time?

answer: when they are flat out terrible at every other aspect of the game and they don't want his cancerous ways/attitude to infect the rest of the roster.
Wayne Gretzky played for 4 teams. Paul Kariya played for 4 teams. Jagr played for 9 lol. Changing teams doesn’t make you a bad player that argument makes no sense. Phil Kessel is indeed a star player. He’s quite bad defensively but any player capable of 90 pts is a star.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Wayne Gretzky played for 4 teams. Paul Kariya played for 4 teams. Jagr played for 9 lol. Changing teams doesn’t make you a bad player that argument makes no sense. Phil Kessel is indeed a star player. He’s quite bad defensively but any player capable of 90 pts is a star.

Ya except Boston didn’t want his attitude, we couldn’t stand him anymore (he was basically a joke), Malkin was going to leave to the KHL if Phil didn’t get traded... Kind of different.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

changing teams by choice(UFA) and being traded out of town are vastly different things

and i find it beyond insulting that you would put him on a list with the likes of WG/PK/JJ

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Ya except Boston didn’t want his attitude, we couldn’t stand him anymore (he was basically a joke), Malkin was going to leave to the KHL if Phil didn’t get traded... Kind of different.
OHHH PUSHAAAAA just mere semantics:laugh:

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
Ya except Boston didn’t want his attitude, we couldn’t stand him anymore, Malkin was going to leave to the KHL if Phil didn’t get traded... Kind of different.
The only legitimate proof that kessel had issues was Pittsburgh, and from what I’ve read it had more to to with Mike Sullivan. Kessel is not going to work hard. In that sense he’s a bad role model for younger players in the room, I won’t argue that.

Toronto had to pay a massive price to aquire him, every one of his teammates on both Toronto and Boston have only ever said good things about him. Toronto was rebuilding and he was a huge trade chip (because he’s valuable). We didn’t get rid of him because he wasn’t appreciated, he just signed an extension.

Fact is Kessel was a huge player for a back to back cup winner. He’s absolutely a star player and a valuable piece. That’s all I’m sayin brotha.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
changing teams by choice(UFA) and being traded out of town are vastly different things

and i find it beyond insulting that you would put him on a list with the likes of WG/PK/JJ
What are you even saying. I never compared skill you donkey. I merely stated good players who have also moved around in their careers. Can I not include Kerfoot and Matthews in the same sentence because they’re both centres?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
What are you even saying. I never compared skill you donkey. I merely stated good players who have also moved around in their careers. Can I not include Kerfoot and Matthews in the same sentence because they’re both centres?

ahhh, i pointed it out because those players CHOSE to be on different teams

too bad you don't understand the difference between choosing and getting shipped out.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
ahhh, i pointed it out because those players CHOSE to be on different teams

too bad you don't understand the difference between choosing and getting shipped out.
I’ll give up some examples then cus clearly you don’t want to think about it. Duchene, Subban, O’reilly, Lindros, Havlat, Hoffman. Weird that all those guys had really successful careers. I have more if you want.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I’ll give up some examples then cus clearly you don’t want to think about it. Duchene, Subban, O’reilly, Lindros, Havlat, Hoffman. Weird that all those guys had really successful careers. I have more if you want.
as best as i can tell

i only see 1 "winner" on your list

but please continue.

show me a "winner" that has been involuntarily on 4 different teams in 12 years.

you see, regardless of what phat fill did for Pitt , they still realised he was just not worth the hassle.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
as best as i can tell

i only see 1 "winner" on your list

but please continue.

show me a "winner" that has been involuntarily on 4 different teams in 12 years.

you see, regardless of what phat fill did for Pitt , they still realised he was just not worth the hassle.
Marion Gaborik
Brayden Schenn
Mike Richards
Jeff Carter
Patrick Sharp

Buddy I can find more, these are off the top of the dome, all these guys traded at least 2 times and have spent time on 3+ teams and have won cups. You’re also setting up a ridiculously specific set of circumstances so you’re really moving the goalposts here baud. Good players move teams.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I agree with OP but there is more then toughness that we need to address as discussed in other thread. I am not sure how you guys feel, I know it's still early but I am not really impressed the way this team has played so ever and the games against TB and Canadiens we were pathetic

- Freddie again has been pretty bad so far (pretty average at best
- Matthews, Marner, Tavares, and Rielly have not played as expected
- Both Kappy and Johnsson look out of sync and at times lost, and it's affecting both lines
- We still need another defense man to play every night (hopefully Dremott is back sooner then later)

On the positive note our 3rd line has played exceptionally well and we should and Mikheyev should be promoted to one of our top lines (he has earned the right to be promoted). Fourth line has been pretty consistent and has also chipped in offensively. I am not worried about our offense, as we have enough weapons for the opponents to completely shut us down (even in the playoffs), we can generate more offense by shaking up our 2nd PP unit and add Mikheyev to this unit or we need to come up with a better strategy. What we really lack is defensive coverage in our own end and need to tighten up as a unit (forwards helping our defense), We also lack in toughness department, we really do not need any goons but as a team we should stand for each other, opponents should not be allowed liberties

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
oh, i hear you clearly BUT

i did play/coach/gm the beautiful game for 41 straight winters and i did learn a thing or two

there is a thing called chemistry with line mates and Kappy has absolutely 0 with jt/mm and yet ,,,that so called slug hyman (sad his last name is that, since he is the least pssy on the roster, wink) has TONS

i am just curious to see what would happen with Mikey there for a few games before hymans return

TBVH this is more about getting kappy off that line so he can have a chance to regain some confidence, he is playing like a broken player right now.

But of course my idea is NOT without it's draw backs , it would be breaking up our most productive 5 v 5 line atm. Kinda why i said "curious" and not have to/must.

I actually don’t think you’re wrong. Mikheyev seems like a pretty skilled and versatile player with the intelligence and build to succeed in many situations and could probably thrive in any situation. Mikheyev is the kind of supporting player we need more of.

I suppose I’m just flustered that our $22 million dynamic duo needs a spark when they should be self starting.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

Why are you wasting your time on someone who has a hockey IQ of 7?

Reactions: Big Cactus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad