It's Re-Tooling Time

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
His right were traded to the Islanders... not Buffalo. All we know for sure is that he didn't want Bieksa money, anything that pertains to what he wanted are just rumours. After the Isles couldn't come to an agreement with Ehrhoff, his rights were traded to Buffalo.

Yup. And he wasn't offered the 10 year deal until his rights were traded to Buffalo. So it's disingenous to state that Gillis didn't offer him the 10 year deal - Gillis offered him a 5x4.6 year deal and Ehrhoff wanted 5x5.5.

The internal salary cap, and not being able to meet halfway, is one of the major reasons this team has been on such a downward spiral since.

A terrible decision, among the worst in Canuck history imo.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
The Florida Panthers? I'd be willing to hold back 50% of the Sedins cap hits to get Nathan MacKinnon.

Meh I don't see why they'd do that trade. As much as I like the Sedins' though you make that trade for sure. Then move Edler+ for 3 rd overall.

Drouin-Mackinon
Burrows-Kesler
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Build around that.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Hodgson trade was understandable given how much of a headache he apparently was, albeit definitely onesided. Ehrhoff makes too much money.

Cant argue about Ballard though. :laugh:
How much of a headache our useless GM says he was.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Meh I don't see why they'd do that trade. As much as I like the Sedins' though you make that trade for sure. Then move Edler+ for 3 rd overall.

Drouin-Mackinon
Burrows-Kesler
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Build around that.

Exactly what I would love to see happen.

Why would the Panthers do the trade? To become relevant again. Ship the Sedins and Luongo to Florida for MacKinnon, and do what it takes (Edler and our 1st?) to get the 3rd overall pick from Tampa.

Florida has enough prospects, and Tallon may be on the hot seat if they blow it again next season. Bringing in the Sedins and Luongo will sell tickets down there and should get them to the playoffs.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Rebuild. Need a new identity, and I'm unsure if this core can do that. I'm on board with a re-tool, but it has to be a pretty severe re-tool.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Rebuild. I want the Sedins gone. I want Edler gone. I would see what we can get for Kesler and Burrows.

Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa, Tanev, Corrado should be our top 5 defensemen next year. I'd like to add a Shattenkirk type defenseman to go along with them.

Unfortunately I think we're losing Luongo. (Although to be fair I like both goalies and wouldn't wish this team on either of them).

The forward group needs a full rebuild.

Interesting that you want Edler gone but have Bieksa in our top 5 next year. He has been horrendous for 4 years now. I don't care how much of a leader he is his play doesn't cut it. Completely brain dead play.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
What the Canucks should do:

Fire AV.
Trade the Sedins.
Trade Booth.
Trade Schneider (easier than Luongo).
Do not re-sign Raymond.

I don't think their defense is the problem. It's their predictable offence and the goaltending soap opera. Having said that, the above suggestions are easier said than done other than firing AV and not re-signing Raymond. The Sedins will most likely play out their contracts in Vancouver and nobody will want to take an injury prone Booth at that contract.

Out of all the trade suggestions that have been listed in this thread with regard to what the Canucks should do, I think trading Schneider is the only realistic one that may happen this summer. Guys like the Sedins, Luongo, Bieksa, Hamhuis and Edler aren't going anywhere.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Exactly what I would love to see happen.

Why would the Panthers do the trade? To become relevant again. Ship the Sedins and Luongo to Florida for MacKinnon, and do what it takes (Edler and our 1st?) to get the 3rd overall pick from Tampa.

Florida has enough prospects, and Tallon may be on the hot seat if they blow it again next season. Bringing in the Sedins and Luongo will sell tickets down there and should get them to the playoffs.
Would the Sedins' move there NMC to play there though? I really want them to win a cup, but no contender has the room for them. A Sabres fan offered Myers, 2013 First, Joel Armia and Mikhail Grigirenko for them on the main board. That's an offer you have to consider.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
One can dream of Vancouver coming back :sarcasm:

Anywho, changes I think should be made this off-season:

1) Fired AV (best candidate out there is Lindy Ruff, not a bad replacement)
2) Trade Schneider (Luongo has proven to be more of a #1 this season than Schneider throughout the playoffs and regular season, return won't be as much as last off-season but we should still be able to fetch some good pieces)
3) Ask KB to waive his NTC and move him (we just re-signed Edler and I would want to keep him around for a bit more; KB is a solid defensmen but would be an off man out in my 4th task)
4) Re-sign Raymond, keep Ballard (honestly, as much as everyone says we have to get rid of MayRay, I have a good feeling we're going to keep him around for a bit longer, as well as Ballard who is a solid bottom pair D, just not in AV's books)

5.1) Take good looks at our prospects we have right now, some could potentially make a jump permanently next season. (Schrodeur specifically)
5.2) Try to get picks in the 2nd-3rd round of this years draft, there are some notable prospects later in the draft.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Interesting that you want Edler gone but have Bieksa in our top 5 next year. He has been horrendous for 4 years now. I don't care how much of a leader he is his play doesn't cut it. Completely brain dead play.

Edler doesn't have a NTC to waive prior to July, Bieksa does. I also think Edler would bring back a better return for Bieksa. Bieksa is also a RH defenseman where we are very weak, while Edler plays the left side where we are very strong.

Would the Sedins' move there NMC to play there though? I really want them to win a cup, but no contender has the room for them. A Sabres fan offered Myers, 2013 First, Joel Armia and Mikhail Grigirenko for them on the main board. That's an offer you have to consider.

Tough to say. I'd probably take that Sabres deal too.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Retool. As much as people say trade the Sedins, it's totally unrealistic, they're staying, but we can definitely make some core changes.

- First and foremost, we need to get a new coach and GM. AV is getting out-coached in almost every series we play lately and MG has made too many questionable decisions on players and trades.

- Once a new GM is brought in we need to blow up our scouting department and start fresh. Our scouts are horrible and our prospect pool is pathetic as a result. We need to invest a lot of money into scouting to unearth the late-round gems that other teams seem way more capable of doing than we are. If we can get Jim Nill out of Detroit to lead this charge as GM I'd be dancing in the street.

- Trade Luongo. It'll happen this summer, if we can get a decent prospect for him I'll be happy. We need to get younger and getting his contract off the books will help. He's far from the problem and has been (along with Kesler) one of the best players in this series, I'll be sad to see him go but he's too old to grow with a new core so may as well cash in on him now even if we don't get full value.

- Trade Bieksa. I love the guy, but his shortcomings are really starting to become an issue. Again, if we can get a decent prospect or a good pick out of it, I'm all for it.

- Rebuild the bottom six. Our bottom two lines are terrible, Mason Raymond needs to go. Dale Weise too, guy offers nothing and took another bad penalty tonight.

- Get some size in the top six. We're too small in the playoffs, Kesler can't be the only forward throwing hits to make plays, he needs another thumper out there who can pot some goals.

- Draft the best pure goal scorer this summer. Far too often this team looks for "safe two-way players" in the draft. Find the most electric guy on the board when we're on the clock and make the pick. This team is starving for goals and we've got so many two-way players in our system already. We don't have a single player that I would consider a game-breaker, the type of player that's got one-shot upside. I'm not saying that we'll be able to get a Stamkos at our pick but somebody like that. The last guy we had that was a legitimate threat everytime he stepped on the ice was Bure and that was over 15 years ago. Naslund was like that too but only briefly.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I would retool but I am very and I mean very close to wanting a full rebuild. Following players I would keep on the Canucks.

???-???-???
Higgins-Kesler-Burrows
???-???-Hansen
???-???-???

Hamhuis-???(Norris or top Dman)
???-Tanev
???-Corrado

Schneider
Lack

1st line: The Sedins are not aggressive enough and always fall asleep in the playoffs or something goes wrong. Oh well we are stuck with them for a good decade almost. But hey I love these guys but sometimes you gotta do the right thing. Anyways we all know they aren't going anywhere its either the Canucks or Sweden.

2nd line: Kesler is pretty good and Burrows/Higgins play well with Kes maybe deal one of them later.

3rd line: Hansen is strong and is only a 3rd line player. Raymond and Lapierre/Schroeder/Lapierre is not enough.

4th line: Please no more Weise or Ebbett etc.

D1: Hamhuis is good for shutdown and we need a really good defenseman that can play with him/or a Norris trophy defenseman.

D2: Tanev is pretty solid and I would keep him on the second and not the first because then he gets overated and ppl start hating but I think Tanev is good for the 2nd for now.

D3: Now Corrado he is pretty good but I would keep him on the 3rd for now, pretty much the same reason with Tanev and when these guys are ready move Tanev to the first and Corrado to he second and move them around if you have too.

Schneider he is solid hopefully next season he can prove his self in a full season.

Lack this guy needs to prove in the pre-season and if hes not ready sign a veteran backup for 1 year.

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
We had our chances in 2011 AND 2012. Believe it or not, LA were still fairly average when we played them last year and we could have beaten them if Edler didn't decide to become **** at that moment. Had we overcome that, it would be a breeze like it did for LA.

Now it's too late. For the Sedin's time anyway. I'd say the first thing we do is to deal with the coaching staff. Then adjust the team accordingly to the new coaching staff's needs. Who knows, maybe they can spark the current team in a different way.

Funke

Nov 28, 2011
Capgeek shows that buying out a Sedin would result in a cap penalty of $2m each for the next two years. If the Sedins are serious about staying in Vancouver, and are serious about winning a cup here, why not buy them out, and re-sign them to low $1-2m one or two year deals? This would free up $4-6m in cap space for next year, and would make roster management much less of an ordeal

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
We had our chances in 2011 AND 2012. Believe it or not, LA were still fairly average when we played them last year and we could have beaten them if Edler didn't decide to become **** at that moment. Had we overcome that, it would be a breeze like it did for LA.

Now it's too late. For the Sedin's time anyway. I'd say the first thing we do is to deal with the coaching staff. Then adjust the team accordingly to the new coaching staff's needs. Who knows, maybe they can spark the current team in a different way.

We decided to become sellers at last years trade deadline which is why I was furious. Our window is effectively closed. Might as well rebuild now rather than prolong the inevitable.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Capgeek shows that buying out a Sedin would result in a cap penalty of $2m each for the next two years. If the Sedins are serious about staying in Vancouver, and are serious about winning a cup here, why not buy them out, and re-sign them to low $1-2m one or two year deals? This would free up $4-6m in cap space for next year, and would make roster management much less of an ordeal

Because it's prohibited in the CBA.

Eesh

Sep 27, 2006
Regina
In this Order......

1) Either trade Schnider or trade both Schnider and Lu. We won't get anything to improve our team by just trading Lu alone.

2) Edler needs to go. He has been our worst Dman during the playoffs... and again we can get something for him. Bieksa too but he'd have to waive his no trade

3) Trade...... Booth, Ballard, Raymond, Roy, Kassian

4) I think AV's time is up.

5) I can't see us trading the twins but at the same time I wouldn't be opposed to it

I WANT Drouin !!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad