It's Re-Tooling Time

kammyBlazer*

Okay guys. I've been a die hard Canucks fan since I was a kid.

The state of this team right now is simply disappointing.
The core is getting old.
Kesler is one of the few forwards who are playing with grit and heart.
Speaking of grit - there is essentially none
Skill - Has been there but teams know what to expect now. They have become too one dimensional and predictable. - time for all new coaching staff?

Now... They aren't playing terrible. but nobody aside from Kesler is stepping up to make a big play. Everything is just so stagnant.

After they lose this series, another year is wasted. Our "window to the cup" is closed.

Our prospect pool is in the bottom 5 in the league.

So, where do they start? Clean house? new coaching, new look (more grit with a run and gun style)?

As a fan, I rather see the team accept the fact that this isn't working and get value for the many quality pieces we have right now and build towards the future. What would you guys start with?

CAPiTA

Sep 4, 2008
Vancouver
Trade Edler for a young RH D or young forward before his NTC kicks in. He's the only "big piece" the Canucks can really consider moving. The Sedins and Kesler are untouchable and the rest of the valuable D already have NTCs.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Here's what I would do.

1) Fire AV/entire coaching staff and clean house. Nobody is safe.
2) Offer Edler and our first to Tampa Bay for the 3rd overall pick.
3) Draft one of MacKinnon/Drouin as a legitimate star prospect to build around.
4) See if Bieksa/Burrows will waive their NTC and shop them around for young players/picks.
5) Trade Schneider for proven young talent and let Luongo play until Lack is ready to come up on an ELC.
6) Trade the Sedins at the deadline next year to maximize the return if the team sucks next year.

solitary

Mar 30, 2009
Here's what I would do.

1) Fire AV/entire coaching staff and clean house. Nobody is safe.
3) Draft one of MacKinnon/Drouin as a legitimate star prospect to build around.
4) See if Bieksa/Burrows will waive their NTC and shop them around for young players/picks.
5) Trade Schneider for proven young talent and let Luongo play until Lack is ready to come up on an ELC.
6) Trade the Sedins at the deadline next year to maximize the return if the team sucks next year.

This isn't NHL 13... what you are proposing is simply bad asset management, hopefully no Canucks GM is ever stupid enough to execute some of the suggestions you have made.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Trade Edler for a young RH D or young forward before his NTC kicks in. He's the only "big piece" the Canucks can really consider moving. The Sedins and Kesler are untouchable and the rest of the valuable D already have NTCs.

The Sedins shouldn't be untouchable. They're a major part of the problem.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Watch the game! There will be 5 months with nothing better to do than play GM...and you want to do it during game 3 of a playoff series? :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If they get swept or lose in 5 I think big changes are needed. Very big changes.

Ehrhoff non-re-signing + Ballard trade + letting Torres go have been critical errors IMO.

Marlo Stanfield

My Name Is My Name
Jun 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
Would Vancouver be inclined to take a step back short term (year or two) to take massive leaps forward (long term)? If they are then the Sedins have to be moved and a new identity and core has to be put in place.

Out:

Sedins
One of Luongo/Schneider
One of Bieksa/Edler
Spare parts (Booth, Raymond, Ballard, etc)

Rebuild with a nucleus of: Kesler, Hamuis, Garrison, Tanev, Schroeder, Kassian, goalie you kept, Jensen, Gaunce, plus new young assets from moving Sedins, Edler/Bieksa, goalie and spare parts trade.

Sounds overly drastic I know but eventually you have to look at the big picture and see if it works out or not. Take the opportunity to restock the cupboard with draft picks, prospects and rebuild the prospect system. More importantly establish the identity of the team going forward.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Time to blow it up or become Calgary. This team is clearly not a contender anymore and won't be for a long time.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The coaching is the biggest issue for me right now.

Coaching is a huge issue, hate this checking line BS from last year.

Very displeased with Hodgson trade and the Ballard trade (this one has been a MASSIVE detriment to our team). Letting Erhoff and Torres get away were blunders. Even Samuelsson was more useful than Booth.

solitary

Mar 30, 2009
Time to blow it up or become Calgary. This team is clearly not a contender anymore and won't be for a long time.

We have some good young players in the pipeline: Gaunce, Corrado, Tanev. I don't think blowing this team up would serve any purpose.

parabola

BOlieve dat
Jul 8, 2004
ಠ_ಠ
Coaching is a huge issue, hate this checking line BS from last year.

Very displeased with Hodgson trade and the Ballard trade (this one has been a MASSIVE detriment to our team). Letting Erhoff and Torres get away were blunders. Even Samuelsson was more useful than Booth.

Hodgson trade was understandable given how much of a headache he apparently was, albeit definitely onesided. Ehrhoff makes too much money.

Cant argue about Ballard though. :laugh:

Burr14

Apr 30, 2010
Edler needs to go. Luongo too. Sedins ideally would be gone but that will not happen.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Hodgson trade was understandable given how much of a headache he apparently was, albeit definitely onesided. Ehrhoff makes too much money.

Cant argue about Ballard though. :laugh:

Would've happily given Ehrhoff what that 5yr 5M deal he apparently wanted and then ditched Ballard and his 4.2 over the next 4 years.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
1) Get rid of Bieksa
Corrado and Tanev are already better defensively than he is. Won't happen though because of the NTC. Should be on the 3rd pairing next season with Tanev in the top 4. Corrado is the first call-up.
2) Proper 3rd line center
Need a center who can play a shutdown role.
3) No more Raymond
Mr. useless in the playoffs. Need to replace him with a scoring winger.

AKA too many holes to fill, this team's cup window is pretty much closed for the foreseeable future.

Count Von Grabo*

Here's what I would do.

lol wut. nobody in the right mind would trade Drouin/Mac for Edler and a mid-late 1st.

kammyBlazer*

Watch the game! There will be 5 months with nothing better to do than play GM...and you want to do it during game 3 of a playoff series? :banghead:

well.. looks like I proved my point.

The blaming part is easy:

-should have kept Ehrhoff
-should have kept Torres
-Should have got a better return for Hodgson
-coaching decisions are highly questionable -ANDREW EBBET!?? PLUG
-Goaltending situation was handled embarrassingly.
-The ballard situation

Now that I'm listing these points, both the coaching staff and Gillis should be replaced. While making decent band-aid moves with Booth (at the time), Roy, Garrisson etc. they have made plenty of awful trades and contracts. Clean house top to bottom.

They can follow the route of the Sens or the Flames.. I rather go the Sens route ASAP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->