It's Re-Tooling Time

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
From our current roster I would keep: Kassian, Hansen, Higgins, Hamhuis, Garrison, Schneider, Corrado, Tanev & Kesler. Everyone else is trade worthy IMO. I like the idea of going almost full rebuild.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
retool

get rid of

Bieksa
Booth
Ballard
Raymond
Luongo
Maybe Edler (although he by far has the most value so only in the right deal)
AV- Get a new voice

Let the Sedins walk when their contract is up, they won't ever get traded, and if they were they wouldnt return much.

Would be open to trading Kesler if he will waive his NTC, he won't last and his value is decently high

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Ehrhoff got a 10 year term, which Gillis did not want to give him.

Torres wanted more than the $1 million he initially signed for, he got that in Phoenix.

Wrong on both counts. Ehrhoff wanted 5x5.5, and Gillis countered with Bieksa money.
It wasn't until after his rights were traded to Buffalo that he was offered that contract. Nice try on the revisionist history though.

Choosing Ehrhoff over Bieksa is among the more Pejorative Slured decisions any Canuck GM has ever made, along with the Neely trade imo.

Torres wanted 2 years and Gillis only offered 1.

In both instances Gillis went full Pejorative Slur. You never go full Pejorative Slur.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Barring a miraculous comeback, this will be the 2nd 1st round exit in a row. What should we do next?

Step 1 new coach.

Step 2
a) if the team is still meh at the deadline - start cleaning house. Let the team know it is happening and give guys on NMCs the option to go to contenders.

b) if the team is going really well at the deadline under a new coach play out the year. Blow it up if it fails in the playoffs.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Sedin contracts are up next year. Might as well give it one more shot.

Then scorched earth.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Re-tool. A lot of this will occur anyway this summer - a coaching change is a given (hopefully). Luongo will be moved, Ballard and/or Booth should be bought out, and we have a lot of expiring contracts in Roy, Raymond, Malhotra, Lapierre, Pinizzotto, Alberts and Barker. We also have some RFAs to make decisions on in Weise, Sestito, Tanev and Joslin.

At the moment, next year's team looks like this;

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen
???? - ???? - Kassian
???? - ???? - ????

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Bieksa
Corrado - Tanev

Schneider
????

- With the emergence of Corrado and Tanev on the back end as viable everyday defenseman, we should explore moving one of our defenseman for help in our top-six. Edler is the likeliest candidate, IMO. If we could somehow package Edler and our first for a high draft pick to have a shot at a guy like Drouin, I would be ecstatic.

- Free agency needs to be utilized to build depth. Our fourth line is abhorrent, and needs a major upgrade. Guys like Dale Weise and Tom Sestito are not cutting it. It's clear you need to have four lines that can play, and we don't.

- Make the right call on a coach. Get somebody who will let some of your young guys play through their hiccups.

You won't get different results if you keep the same core group together. This team needs a massive shakeup so you're going to have to likely move 3 players from that top 6 group of forwards (bumping Hansen down can be counted as 1, but trade 2 of the others), and likely one defenseman, in addition to the rest of the bottom 6. I think bringing back Lapierre is okay though.

TheDiver*

If Mason Raymond and Alex Edler are on this team, they will never win a cup.

You'd get more grit if you signed the Kardashians.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'd keep them around until they retire. However, they'll have to be open to accepting a cut in pay and a reduced role. They can no longer be relied on, especially in the playoffs.

At this point I'd say a 50% pay cut, though I think we need to just move on and change the identity of this team.

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
I'd keep them around until they retire. However, they'll have to be open to accepting a cut in pay and a reduced role.

They are great people and have terrific skill. But there is something to the idea that their game for whatever reason has not translated to the playoffs. I think it may be that they are methodical players, using their peerless board work to gain possession and then setting up shots.

Is it that the offensive scheme is not opening lanes? That they are not getting shooters in the right position? That their methodical nature has been rattled by pressure/forecheck/playoff intensity?

It may be a timing thing. In the regular season, they get a tick more time/space. In the playoffs, that small difference adds up? I dunno - wish I did know

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
I say we start from the top-Fire MG,then AV.This teams defence is one of the worst i have seen in years.Kevin Beiksa would be my first to move out.Was he like minus 3 again tonight,constant f--k up in his end zone,and give aways.I dont know what to say about this team anymore,but MG built some of this ,so he should take full responsability.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Here's what I think they should do.

Fire AV. This is a given, and will happen. If nothing else Gillis will do it to further delay his eventual firing.

Get rid of this "I'm not going to ask players to waive their NTC's garbage, and ask Bieksa about waiving his NTC as his services are no longer needed. He will probably balk, but at least Gillis could ask. Would prefer to trade him rather than Edler but unfortunately Gillis has made his **** bed, and now will have to both lay and roll around in it.

Trade Edler for either a very promising 3rd line C (Couturier is obviously an ideal target, although I like Sutter as well) or a 2nd line LW.

Get a legitimate 4th line. What is building a 4th line such a ****show for this ****ing franchise? Year after year in the playoffs our opponents 4th lines play 10 minutes a night, while ours play 2. Does anyone else see a problem there? For ****s sake get a ****ing 4th line. It's really not that hard.

Waive or buyout Booth and Ballard. Time for Gillis to put his big boy pants on and deal with these two conclusively. Stupid trades, and in the Ballard trade a waste of good assets, but it's time to admit you made a mistake and move on.

The problem/challenge will be getting the other forward (either the 2nd line LW or the 3rd line C) after the Edler trade, and finding a puckmover to play with Garrison. This is a huge issue, and we'll see if the team can solve it.

Given the terrible decisions by this management group I highly doubt it. In my opinion the Canucks will have a bad season next year, the Sedins will walk and our snake oil salesman GM will be shown the door.

solitary

Mar 30, 2009
Wrong on both counts. Ehrhoff wanted 5x5.5, and Gillis countered with Bieksa money.
It wasn't until after his rights were traded to Buffalo that he was offered that contract. Nice try on the revisionist history though.

Choosing Ehrhoff over Bieksa is among the more Pejorative Slured decisions any Canuck GM has ever made, along with the Neely trade imo.

Torres wanted 2 years and Gillis only offered 1.

In both instances Gillis went full Pejorative Slur. You never go full Pejorative Slur.

His right were traded to the Islanders... not Buffalo. All we know for sure is that he didn't want Bieksa money, anything that pertains to what he wanted are just rumours. After the Isles couldn't come to an agreement with Ehrhoff, his rights were traded to Buffalo.

Nine to Five

Now Eight to Four!
Jul 7, 2009
All the people that suggest pushing the Sedins to secondary players...and who do you suggest should be our primary players then?

We have no assets that will return players of better quality than the Sedins and the UFA market isn't helping out there either.
If the sedins are here, they will be the top line. There's no other way around that. It's either sedin and try the same old stuff with different secondary cast or a straight up rebuild.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Trade Edler for a young RH D or young forward before his NTC kicks in. He's the only "big piece" the Canucks can really consider moving. The Sedins and Kesler are untouchable and the rest of the valuable D already have NTCs.

and who exactly is the RH D going to play with?

You just traded the guy who desperately needs a new partner.

Trade Bieksa. Guy is useless without a better partner to cover up for his mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad