Isles vs Panthers in the “playoffs”

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I get the hockey timeline changed but I'm under the impression the "will be ready for training camp" meant the injury was severe and he would be out for a long time. Factor in how long he's been out without skating, I don't think there's a chance.
Sure, but out a long time is true whether it is is for 7 months or 9 months. Lou saying he'd wouldn't be ready until training camp could mean anytime between the expected end of the season and training camp. You could well be right, but simply saying that Lou's statement doesn't necessarily mean he won't be.

flightoftheturtle

Feb 4, 2019
It’s better than still hearing “BUT MARTIN TRIPPED HIM AND THEN TAVARES TIED THE GAME” to this day.
I mean, it is true. Trocheck was tripped as he was about to score on an empty net, which would have sent the series back to Sunrise. This absolutely cost the panthers the series (only one game 7 loss in their 27 year history) and also cost the panthers a cup run.

Reactions: Beezeral

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Sure, but out a long time is true whether it is is for 7 months or 9 months. Lou saying he'd wouldn't be ready until training camp could mean anytime between the expected end of the season and training camp. You could well be right, but simply saying that Lou's statement doesn't necessarily mean he won't be.

I am hopeful that Pelech plays. IIRC the original diagnosis for this injury was 4 months, so some of us were hoping he would be back for round 3 or even late round 2 if the season was not interrupted. I understand that was likely an overly optimistic time frame with possibly rushing him back, but given July will be 6 months from the injury, I have some optimism.

To me, Lou's he will be ready for training camp was comparing April/May playoffs with September training camp, so I am not sure it applies to July/August playoffs but we will see. At least we should have 4 solid Centers for the first time this year and the rest of the team healthy by the time the games begin. To the best of my knowledge, Pelech is the only injury question mark with the Greene acquisition picking up some (not all) of that slack. We had some guys like Clutter who were battered and Cizikas who was out who will be in the lineup.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I mean, it is true. Trocheck was tripped as he was about to score on an empty net, which would have sent the series back to Sunrise. This absolutely cost the panthers the series (only one game 7 loss in their 27 year history) and also cost the panthers a cup run.

Oh of course. The Panthers were going to win game 7, and then go on to defeat the Tampa Bay Lightning who stormed right through the Islanders in five games.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
The bit of information left out here is that the panthers have only made the playoffs 3 times in their 27 year history, winning a grand total of 3 rounds. This post makes it sound like they’re some perennial playoff team who is clutch in game 7. Pretty easy to say “xxx team has never lost a game 7” when they’ve only played in 2 game 7’s ever

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Not only that but it is not like we are in a position where it is even worth the risk. We have 7-8 capable defensemen and 6 clear starters so there is no need for a guy who has not played in 6 months, let alone to put him into playoff games.

While I agree that they shouldn't rush him back, playing in this playoff format is going to be very different than if it was just a regular one. There are talks that there will be some sort of conditioning period for players since they haven't skated at all, so if Pelech were healthy he would be able to participate in that to get back up to speed. It's possible that even if Pelech was cleared to start skating at the end of June, he wouldn't get any games simply because he was out too long and management wouldn't feel comfortable inserting him into the lineup. That's no longer the case.

Ah, yes, this old game. The penalties that aren't called.

Remember when Jussi Jokinen tripped Matt Martin with 1:34 remaining in regulation, causing a pile up of three Islanders inside the Panthers zone before the play you're talking about? Probably not. The Islanders would've went on the power play and scored anyway with a two man advantage and would go on to lose to Tampa Bay.

Watch the top of the screen

Reactions: CupHolders

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
While I agree that they shouldn't rush him back, playing in this playoff format is going to be very different than if it was just a regular one. There are talks that there will be some sort of conditioning period for players since they haven't skated at all, so if Pelech were healthy he would be able to participate in that to get back up to speed. It's possible that even if Pelech was cleared to start skating at the end of June, he wouldn't get any games simply because he was out too long and management wouldn't feel comfortable inserting him into the lineup. That's no longer the case.

Remember when Jussi Jokinen tripped Matt Martin with 1:34 remaining in regulation, causing a pile up of three Islanders inside the Panthers zone before the play you're talking about? Probably not. The Islanders would've went on the power play and scored anyway with a two man advantage and would go on to lose to Tampa Bay.

I know this is off topic from your post, but anytime I watch clips from that series and you hear the crowd, you would almost forget it was not the Coliseum. I was there at that Game 6 so I can confirm first-hand it was as loud and crazy as any game I ever attended at the Coli. So my question is why do you guys think it was so different that season in terms of the atmosphere at Barclays as compared to the atmosphere at Barclays in the SECOND ROUND of the playoffs last year, which I also attended in person. It was like night and day and I never quite understood why.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
The bit of information left out here is that the panthers have only made the playoffs 3 times in their 27 year history, winning a grand total of 3 rounds. This post makes it sound like they’re some perennial playoff team who is clutch in game 7. Pretty easy to say “xxx team has never lost a game 7” when they’ve only played in 2 game 7’s ever
I love how a playoff series twenty years ago had any weight on a playoff series too, what a crock of shit

Reactions: mm11

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I am usually an optimist when it comes to the Isles (be it the team, players, prospects, future, etc.), but nothing about this playoff format excites me.

I figured under normal circumstances, the Isles would either get it together and make the playoffs, or just miss and maybe they get lucky in the NHL Draft Lottery.

But with this ridiculous setup, I expect them to win the first round, the play-in round, and then lose the following round handily to a team like Tampa.

No real playoffs, no shot at the NHL Draft Lottery, nada.

Meanwhile, teams included in the playoffs as sacrificial lambs will get bounced, probably collect some playoff revenue AND it sounds like teams losing the play-in round will get a shot in the lottery.

That should benefit teams like the Blackhawks, Canadians and probably the Rangers (who will either lose to the Hurricanes or bounce them and get their draft pick).

I see this as the worst possible scenario for the Isles, who might beat a team that shouldn't even be in the playoffs, then get smoked and completely lose out on a shot at keeping their first rounder.

Honestly, a worse scenario couldn't have been drawn up in my opinion. This is pretty much a Larry Brooks' dream format.

Lightning were one of the two teams to vote no and they disagree with your assessment. They are scared of playing a warmed up Islanders or Panthers in a matchup when they've just been idle. While I agree the format is not ideal, it feels like a positive for from an Islander's fan standpoint. The normal way we'd be bounced in the first round by Tampa with both teams having the same rest. This way, some think we actually have an advantage. I don't know how much stock to play in the rested vs. not rested....but Carolina last year makes me believe it's an advantage.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
After reading the Athletic story about why the lightning players voted no against this format, it actually gave me a good feeling. They are STILL making excuses for that joke of an exit last season. I love that they still have the victim mindset. Completely opposite from their own coaches reaction, but let's me know the team still isn't mentally prepared. Of course it's just now, and I don't think it has a huge impact, but makes me optimistic!

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Thank you for posting. Annoys me to no end how much whining there is about Trocheck, but the missed call on Jokinen is always conveniently ignored.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I know this is off topic from your post, but anytime I watch clips from that series and you hear the crowd, you would almost forget it was not the Coliseum. I was there at that Game 6 so I can confirm first-hand it was as loud and crazy as any game I ever attended at the Coli. So my question is why do you guys think it was so different that season in terms of the atmosphere at Barclays as compared to the atmosphere at Barclays in the SECOND ROUND of the playoffs last year, which I also attended in person. It was like night and day and I never quite understood why.

I think there's a few things. The Panthers series was the first season in Brooklyn, and I was at game 3 and it was just as loud as the Coliseum, so I think that had something to do with it. Fans being their usual crazy selves, intentionally trying to keep the energy and noise level up after leaving the Coliseum. The other thing is that last season the team had given fans another option for portions of the season and the first round. Brooklyn was over and on the decline, a new arena was coming, the incentive for the same enthusiasm just wasn't there. Fans could spend money and get the atmosphere they wanted most during the first round, then bail on Brooklyn for the second or were less enthused about being forced to be there after such a fun series at the Coliseum.

I didn't attend any playoff games last year, so I can't comment on the decibel level in Brooklyn, but on television it certainly didn't sound as loud.

Lightning were one of the two teams to vote no and they disagree with your assessment. They are scared of playing a warmed up Islanders or Panthers in a matchup when they've just been idle. While I agree the format is not ideal, it feels like a positive for from an Islander's fan standpoint. The normal way we'd be bounced in the first round by Tampa with both teams having the same rest. This way, some think we actually have an advantage. I don't know how much stock to play in the rested vs. not rested....but Carolina last year makes me believe it's an advantage.

There's seems to be a bit of evidence suggesting that teams with too much rest don't fair well. Hasn't every team with a first round sweep lose in the next round against a team coming off a seven game series? It's rare that the situations occurs, but even more odd that the rested team can't win.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Thank you for posting. Annoys me to no end how much whining there is about Trocheck, but the missed call on Jokinen is always conveniently ignored.

The Jokinen trip was much more blatant and intentional too, also coming at a crucial time in the game when the team is trying to sustain pressure and pull their goalie. It's not like Trochek was on a breakaway and Martin lumberjacked him from behind when he was about to score on an empty net. There were still two more defenders in Trochek's path to the net, which was the reason he didn't shoot it when he got the puck in the center of the ice originally. Did Martin trip Trocheck? Yep. Was it some egregious non-call? Not really, and certainly not any worse than the missed Jokinen call.

I'm a big fan of putting the whistles away and to expect to get soft calls late in a one goal playoff game is absurd to me. I know others who say the rules are the rules, but that's not me. And lastly, that play didn't cause the Islanders to tie up the game, they still could've stopped that from happening. They also could've score in overtime to win. They didn't. I can't believe their fans are complaining about a nothing play like it's a Dale Hunter or Darcy Tucker type of play.

NhlFan2020

May 25, 2020
Listened to this pod on twitch today... talks about the Isles Panthers at the 20 min mark. Anyone's thoughts thinking that the Panthers would take the series?

Last edited:

BARzalDOWN

Apr 20, 2007
I am hopeful that Pelech plays. IIRC the original diagnosis for this injury was 4 months, so some of us were hoping he would be back for round 3 or even late round 2 if the season was not interrupted. I understand that was likely an overly optimistic time frame with possibly rushing him back, but given July will be 6 months from the injury, I have some optimism.

To me, Lou's he will be ready for training camp was comparing April/May playoffs with September training camp, so I am not sure it applies to July/August playoffs but we will see. At least we should have 4 solid Centers for the first time this year and the rest of the team healthy by the time the games begin. To the best of my knowledge, Pelech is the only injury question mark with the Greene acquisition picking up some (not all) of that slack. We had some guys like Clutter who were battered and Cizikas who was out who will be in the lineup.

One of the things working in Pelech’s favor is that it’s an Achilles injury. I’m not sure who has any sports medicine background but I do so I can say if there’s any sport where an Achilles injury is “less significant”, it’s hockey. The hockey skate is essentially a walking boot with a blade slapped on the bottom of it. It restricts most of if not all of the movement of the ankle, in this case plantarflexion and dorsiflexion. Obviously, the muscle will contract during skating but it does not lengthen and shorten as it would during normal running activity.

That being said, I would say the recovery time for a full Achilles rupture is closer to 6 months than 4. He was likely in the boot non weight bearing or partial weight bearing for the first 6-8 weeks. They do that to allow the tendon to heal properly but that does cause a lot of tightness and atrophying of the muscle. With the addition of greene, I don’t think it’s likely to expect them to rush pelech back. Without knowing how well his rehab has gone it’s really tough to speculate, especially with how covid could have affected access to facilities. However, it’s possible Pelech could have already been skating since the end of April as part of his rehab, if he had a place to skate. So I’m choosing to remain optimistic, but not expecting anything.

Reactions: SI and 19 in a row

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I'm almost apathetic about the 19-20 season at this point.

I understand the business/continuity side of the playoffs and awarding the Stanley Cup in 2020, but I'm resigned to the fact that it will always be an "asterisk" season.

But hey, more playoff hockey the better!

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I understand the business/continuity side of the playoffs and awarding the Stanley Cup in 2020, but I'm resigned to the fact that it will always be an "asterisk" season.

I don't have anything better going on these days. May as well watch some games on TV that haven't been played yet.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
Watching this video, I don't know how we won that series. Look at some of the players in Blue and Orange: Bernier, Prince, Quine, Zidlicky... not our finest roster.
It was a perfect storm of Greiss hitting the peak of his career during that series(dude was amazing), the traitor being pretty consistent and pulling through at crucial moments, and a ton of depth players all getting hot at once. That and the Panthers roster outside of Jagr was pretty inexperienced in the playoffs. IMO that inexperience doesn't get recognized quite enough. Panthers fans want to moan about Martin tripping Trochek, when their issue should be with the Panthers blowing it in OT three times. Hell they had a OT penalty shot and couldn't convert lol

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007

For me it really comes down to how the games look when they start. If they do not pump in crowd noise, use team's goal horns/songs, etc. to at least make the players feel like they are playing a normal game, then I have to see with my own eyes the level of intensity they bring. If these games look like pond hockey or scrimmage games, it will be hard to take this seriously and I definitely agree on it being an "asterisk season." However, if the games themselves resemble the normal level of effort and intensity of normal playoff games, I dont see why this should be an asterisk season. If a miracle happens and the Isles won the cup, they would have played 68 regular season games, won 4 best of 7 series and a best of 5 series. You could certainly argue that is at the very least equal to a normal season, maybe even harder. But again it all comes down to the quality of play. If the players do not take it seriously and they ACT like it is an "asterisk" season then that is what it will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad