Isles vs Panthers in the “playoffs”

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I really dont want to drag this out because in fact I like Pelech, I think he has really improved and stepped up in the last 2 years. I think he is a really solid 2nd pairing guy on any top team in the NHL, but I stand by him not being in the same league as other top defensive defensemen in the league and advanced stats would definitely back me up when even just compared against other Isles defensemen. He actually has the second worst Corsi and Fenwick numbers of our 6 regular dmen and as far as the mistakes go, for comparative purposes, Pelech has 48 giveaways in 38 games, while Boychuk and Leddy have 50 and 52 respectively in 60+ games. All I am saying is that Pelech makes his share of mistakes but does not get the ridicule of the other dmen.
If I remember correctly, Pelech had a bad start to the season, then in November it was as if a light switch turned on and his defensive game improved dramatically.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I don't think he's in the same class as the guys you mentioned earlier (Doughty, etc.), but I think he's better than a second pairing guy. I'd be curious to see ice time in relation to those giveaways. Maybe it's his ability to recover that also makes him better. Who has the worst Corsi and Fenwick, and was that just for this season or for last as well? I don't find either of those particular stats all that appealing in determining how good someone is but it's certainly interesting. His ability to generate offense is his worst attribute I think, and it's not so much that he doesn't do the right things in the offensive zone or on the rush, it's that he doesn't have a great shot and can never seem to bury grade A opportunities. Maybe one day.
Leddy has the worst Corsi and Fenwick, which despite his flaws is also kind of surprising considering his ability to carry the puck.

Reactions: PK Cronin

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Leddy has the worst Corsi and Fenwick, which despite his flaws is also kind of surprising considering his ability to carry the puck.

The Isles system does not tend to possession, so I would not freak about those stats at all - most players on the team will have sub possession numbers.

A case in point - Montreal plays a high possession game- Petry, Weber, Chiarot, and Kulak all have insane Fenwick and Corsi numbers - they’re also 23 out of 31 in goals against

Reactions: Seph

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Not saying I disagree with his strengths, but we also cannot ignore that this guy has flaws. He makes a ton of mistakes and giveaways, is not physical and has no offensive abilities. Again, really good defensive defenseman, but people are saying he is a clear cut top pairing guy in the whole league. He is not as good as Kenny Jonsson was and he certainly is not on the level of a Pietrangelo, Doughty, Keith, Vlasic, Chara, Suter, Weber and on and on.

1.) I am not sure exactly what you are watching with Pelech. Can you show me a clip or examples with him giving the puck away in bad situations? His gap control is top notch, and that is a LARGE part of the reason why you do not see him being as physical as some other guys. Pelech was half of the pairing that shut down Crosby last year in the playoffs. I do not think you are witnessing just how good he is.

He averaged the 7th most hits on the team per game with 2.1, and that is counting the 5.8 average Ladd had with his four games. Adam Pelech really averages the sixth most hits per game on the team. Maybe he is more physical than we both give him credit for. This is more this than Pulock, Lee, Mayfield, Beauvillier, Leddy, Toews, and the same as Boychuk.

So I guess the question is, if Adam Pelech is not physical I am assuming you do not believe Boychuk is either?

2.) NOBODY said he was on that level. Absolutely NOBODY. He is the best defenseman on the team though. You can say Pulock is better than him and I would not make a big deal of it, but Pelech is a modern day shutdown D. Just because Pelech doesn't get 35 shiny points like Leddy might, it does not mean he is any less of a player. There is a reason why.

The ONLY player who averaged more time than Pelech this season was Ryan Pulock. This was on the entire team. Pulock averaged just over a minute longer per game, but also averages 1:42 more power play time per game (and rightfully so). Pelech averages the MOST shorthanded time on ice per game at 2:47 per game while the next highest was 17 seconds lower per game. Pelech also averaged the most takeaways on the team for a defensemen this season.

I am trying to discuss this using actual statistics, because while you may not agree with me, statistics show that Adam Pelech is by far the teams best DEFENSEmen. He is used in the most scenarios to stop the team from scoring goals and he succeeds at that. I suggest you and everyone else take a look at the statistics which tell the true story using the website I list below:

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/new-y...s?season=2019&category=DEFENSE&group=1&time=0

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I really dont want to drag this out because in fact I like Pelech, I think he has really improved and stepped up in the last 2 years. I think he is a really solid 2nd pairing guy on any top team in the NHL, but I stand by him not being in the same league as other top defensive defensemen in the league and advanced stats would definitely back me up when even just compared against other Isles defensemen. He actually has the second worst Corsi and Fenwick numbers of our 6 regular dmen and as far as the mistakes go, for comparative purposes, Pelech has 48 giveaways in 38 games, while Boychuk and Leddy have 50 and 52 respectively in 60+ games. All I am saying is that Pelech makes his share of mistakes but does not get the ridicule of the other dmen.

You cherry picked his one main flaw in his giveaways and ignored the multitude of positives.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
nice to see the same conversations are happening, like someone flicked the switch.

Now.... Has Bailey upped his game?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
@YearlyLottery was clearly rushed to the Show...

I am not going to sit here and say I am the face of the mod team. That being said I am the perfect energy guy that this board needed after Tavares left.

One thing is for sure though.... The boots that had to be filled once PW left? Let's just say those have been MORE than filled by me.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Wtf? If the players are all sitting next to each other and everyone is tested why wouldn’t the coaches be allowed on the bench? At least the head coaches. Also, I think in a dangerous sport where we see cute from blades you would need to have medical personal as close to the ice as possible.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Wtf? If the players are all sitting next to each other and everyone is tested why wouldn’t the coaches be allowed on the bench? At least the head coaches. Also, I think in a dangerous sport where we see cute from blades you would need to have medical personal as close to the ice as possible.

Yeah this whole thing is getting ridiculous. I completely understand precautions and unfortunately the reality of not allowing fans to attend games, but it is getting a little absurd. We are talking about getting these games going in two MONTHS. Two months from now. All regions are opening in New York and people are going back to work, while many people have been working across the country during this entire time. Italy, which had it worse than we have it here is restarting their soccer league in June. The NHL is talking about not starting until July or August and I am almost preparing for them to soon say there will be no checking or contact.

Reactions: PK Cronin

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013

I heard they’re implementing a social distancing rule. You must be six feet from other players at all times. If you were deemed to intentionally not social distance, it’s a double minor for social distancing infraction and delay of game.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I heard they’re implementing a social distancing rule. You must be six feet from other players at all times. If you were deemed to intentionally not social distance, it’s a double minor for social distancing infraction and delay of game.

I heard fights will now be Medieval sword fighting style with hockey sticks.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
As I just said before, precautions have to be taken, but all joking aside, I really think they are now crossing the point of absurdity with this. Are we going to put the coaches in a sealed hazmat suit, are the players gonna skate around the ice in hamster balls? If the country is reopening and people are going back to work now, why cant these athletes be holding training camps by mid June. Mid July??!! They need two more months to prepare for TRAINING camp. What do they need, an informal training camp for the training camp? At this rate, they will be training for longer than the rest of the season will last. Keep in mind some teams will be playing for 3 games. THREE. They should be getting together for informal skates now. Starting training camp in mid June and starting the playoff tournament by early July. If people can be going back to work in stores, offices, libraries, etc. with dozens if not hundreds of other co-workers/customers, you are telling me a sports team of 30-40 players, coaches and staff cannot be getting together by mid June for training camp?

Reactions: YearlyLottery

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Not saying I disagree with his strengths, but we also cannot ignore that this guy has flaws. He makes a ton of mistakes and giveaways, is not physical and has no offensive abilities. Again, really good defensive defenseman, but people are saying he is a clear cut top pairing guy in the whole league. He is not as good as Kenny Jonsson was and he certainly is not on the level of a Pietrangelo, Doughty, Keith, Vlasic, Chara, Suter, Weber and on and on.

First of all, we have yet to see the best from Pelech. Bottom line, he shuts the left side down, 150 ft. Occasionally he he still turns the puck over. Every elite defensive D man does. His offense is adequate (nice wrister, knows when to join); truth be told, I could care less when he's shadowing Florida's top line in a few weeks...or locking up Kucherov. ;)

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Barry and Lou did some interviews, trotz with Hahn and another espn guy on espn radio and Lou with some guys on sportsnet.

Very happy to have these guys. There’s a confidence and correct attitude, preparation and understanding they have that’s going to be passed on to the players.

For Florida, they too have experience with Tallon and Quienville so it’s not a distinct advantage but still.

Trotz mentioned there will be an unbalance of initial training due to who’s been skating vs who hasn’t. Then he’s looking forward to the training camp for guys like Paguea and Greene.

Loves having “five veteran lines and at least 8 deep on the backend”

Thinks special teams, goaltending and depth will be the keys which is no different than any other year but might be heightened this time around.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
As I just said before, precautions have to be taken, but all joking aside, I really think they are now crossing the point of absurdity with this. Are we going to put the coaches in a sealed hazmat suit, are the players gonna skate around the ice in hamster balls? If the country is reopening and people are going back to work now, why cant these athletes be holding training camps by mid June. Mid July??!! They need two more months to prepare for TRAINING camp. What do they need, an informal training camp for the training camp? At this rate, they will be training for longer than the rest of the season will last. Keep in mind some teams will be playing for 3 games. THREE. They should be getting together for informal skates now. Starting training camp in mid June and starting the playoff tournament by early July. If people can be going back to work in stores, offices, libraries, etc. with dozens if not hundreds of other co-workers/customers, you are telling me a sports team of 30-40 players, coaches and staff cannot be getting together by mid June for training camp?
I think you're completely overreacting to Trotz speculating.

Looks like things are returning to normal around here...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Bring back Schremp now!

Bro, they have to get enough meetings. You've been around long enough, you know better. :sarcasm::laugh:

Reactions: eoin92

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I think if any team who wasn't a favorite at the end of the regular season wins it will be viewed that way. If Tampa Bay or Boston wins I doubt anyone would say it was because of the shut down. If a team like Montreal somehow pulls it off, then yes, there will definitely be those who look down on it.
Such a team will have won an unprecedented 5 playoff series. No one should look down on that. If anything, it should be celebrated as a monumental achievement, the hardest Stanley Cup ever.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Such a team will have won an unprecedented 5 playoff series. No one should look down on that. If anything, it should be celebrated as a monumental achievement, the hardest Stanley Cup ever.
I agree...if it ever happens. At this rate, the NFL will have the next Super Bowl before the NHL starts this tournament. The NFL is planning to have fans in the stadiums in September. The NHL has already been planning this tournament for a month and we need two more months minimum to plan to have this tournament with no fans. Honestly, with how drawn out they are making this, they probably could have had fans by the time this thing starts.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I think it's a lot easier to fluke your way to a tournament win than it is to go through an entire 82 game season and then the playoffs. Teams being included that otherwise shouldn't be there could just have the stars align or have a hot stretch. Short periods of time are not indicative of who the best really is, for me at least. If a team that shouldn't be there is able to win, how is it the hardest Stanley Cup ever if they were gifted a spot in the dance? (I do know what you mean though, but there's a flip side to that argument)

I agree...if it ever happens. At this rate, the NFL will have the next Super Bowl before the NHL starts this tournament. The NFL is planning to have fans in the stadiums in September. The NHL has already been planning this tournament for a month and we need two more months minimum to plan to have this tournament with no fans. Honestly, with how drawn out they are making this, they probably could have had fans by the time this thing starts.

They could easily sell out the arenas if they want fans there once they get closer. It's not a big deal they are planning to not have them at the moment.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The roster is 28 skaters-

Assuming the 15 F’s are locks-
Lee - Barzal -Eberle
Beau - Nelson - Brassard
Bailey - Pageau - Dal Colle
Martin - Cizikas - C’buck
Johnston - Komarov - Kuhnackl

and these 8 D
Pelech - Pulock
Toews - Mayfield
Leddy - Boychuk
Greene - Dobson

that leaves 5 extra skaters
Koivula
Bellows
Wahlstrom
Hickey
Aho

or does Ladd get selected over one of the kids?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad