Isles vs Panthers in the “playoffs”

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The loss in revenue must be too large so they'll force it no matter what. Maybe the rest will help the Isles out, they did start out the season very strong and it will take teams some time to get back into form again.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
One thing that should happen is that all NHL teams in the "playoffs" should be able to use/sign any player in their system when the league stopped.

There is no reason that Sorokin should not be eligible, if needed, and the parent team wants to use them. The KHL, AHL and college seasons are over.

If the NHL wants to push this forward, all teams should have access to their best players. If there is an injury to Varly or Greiss, I want to see Sorokin as the next man up, not Gibson or another AHL lifer.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
There is no reason that Sorokin should not be eligible, if needed, and the parent team wants to use them. The KHL, AHL and college seasons are over.
It's largely irrelevant, for us at least.

If you think a coach like Barry Trotz is going to dress a goalie with no NHL experience in a playoff game over one of our two current goalies, you must not know anything about the coach here.

Sorokin has about as much of a chance of dressing for the Islanders this playoffs as I do.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
It's largely irrelevant, for us at least.

If you think a coach like Barry Trotz is going to dress a goalie with no NHL experience in a playoff game over one of our two current goalies, you must not know anything about the coach here.

Sorokin has about as much of a chance of dressing for the Islanders this playoffs as I do.

You clearly missed where I said -

If there is an injury to Varly or Greiss, I want to see Sorokin as the next man up, not Gibson or another AHL lifer.

I assume if the top-2 goalies are healthy, one of them will be starting. However, this has been a long layoff, compounded by a contagious virus. One or both starting goalies could easily get injured or be unavailable.

If it came to it, Lou, Trotz, Korn and Greco would surely prefer the option of using and practicing against a world-class goalie like Sorokin vs. borderline AHL/ECHL-level talents.

Plus, at a minimum, having Sorokin eligible and on the taxi squad allows them to work with him and see what he has in practice for next year.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Keys for the Isles here will be coaching. BT even acknowledged he over coached during the slide and that the team needs to get back to its roots. We were entirely too easy to play against and allowed other teams to enter our zone without any resistance. It will be nice to see them roll 4 lines and wear down teams. I think this is the last hurrah for our heralded 4th line, so I hope they bring the goods. I believe they need a shot in the arm and I am hoping that its Bellows, who brings it. They need someone to not overthink things and just shoot. Hoping Eberle can raise his game again.

I know its been discussed, but is there a chance for Pelech? Would it even be wise to risk it?

Stay healthy back in LI

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Keys for the Isles here will be coaching. BT even acknowledged he over coached during the slide and that the team needs to get back to its roots. We were entirely too easy to play against and allowed other teams to enter our zone without any resistance. It will be nice to see them roll 4 lines and wear down teams. I think this is the last hurrah for our heralded 4th line, so I hope they bring the goods. I believe they need a shot in the arm and I am hoping that its Bellows, who brings it. They need someone to not overthink things and just shoot. Hoping Eberle can raise his game again.

I know its been discussed, but is there a chance for Pelech? Would it even be wise to risk it?

Stay healthy back in LI
Staple/Lou said Pelech would be ready for training camp in September (before corona).

Don’t think he’s in

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I’m going to hold out and still hope Pelech is back. If not, Greene will fill in fine. He logged a ton of mins in NJ, so the time off is good.

The Cats always play NYI well. They attack w speed, and have one of the most dangerous lines in hockey.

Bob is a wildcard, horrible year. But if he returns to form, I’m not so confident NYI will advance.

Haula is a downgrade from Trocheck, so that works in NYI’s favor.

Don’t have much faith in Varly or Greiss. Perhaps Ilya gets a shot, shows his mettle in training camp, instills trust from Trotz, and gets the starting nod (especially if Varly or Greiss falter).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Stay healthy back in LI

Conflicting reports on Pelech, nobody knows for sure. I'd be a little surprised if he played but if he does, I hope it's after being able to get his conditioning up. Really don't want him to rush back if he's not 100% because he's far too important moving forward.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I’m going to hold out and still hope Pelech is back. If not, Greene will fill in fine. He logged a ton of mins in NJ, so the time off is good.

The Cats always play NYI well. They attack w speed, and have one of the most dangerous lines in hockey.

Bob is a wildcard, horrible year. But if he returns to form, I’m not so confident NYI will advance.

Haula is a downgrade from Trocheck, so that works in NYI’s favor.

Don’t have much faith in Varly or Greiss. Perhaps Ilya gets a shot, shows his mettle in training camp, instills trust from Trotz, and gets the starting nod (especially if Varly or Greiss falter).

5 game series. can't wait Think the isles will be ready and hungry

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I don’t think that playoff timeline changes his injury, if he was going to be ready for September that means he isn’t ready for July
Not necessarily. Lamoriello said, he’ll be ready for Training camp, obviously not anticipating that the season would possibly extend into August. Under normal circumstances, they wouldn’t be playing in July, so the next time he’d be available to play would be training camp. Whatever happens, I hope they don’t rush him back.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I don’t think that playoff timeline changes his injury, if he was going to be ready for September that means he isn’t ready for July

staple tweeted back on a question about Pelech - see Pelech thread.

I think he will be back with team practicing but whether that means he is ready to play play not sure - I can see them working him in

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Doesn't change his injury, but obviously the GM didn't think we would be playing in June and July. Obviously under those givens, even if he would have been ready in June or July, they still would have just said September. Saying "he'll be ready to play in July" when there was no scheduled hockey in July would be strange.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011

I think he will be back with team practicing but whether that means he is ready to play play not sure - I can see them working him in
So long as he can skate, I don’t see why we wouldn’t play. He’s played about as much hockey in the past two months as everyone else

that being said, I don’t know how far along he is

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Not necessarily. Lamoriello said, he’ll be ready for Training camp, obviously not anticipating that the season would possibly extend into August. Under normal circumstances, they wouldn’t be playing in July, so the next time he’d be available to play would be training camp. Whatever happens, I hope they don’t rush him back.

Doesn't change his injury, but obviously the GM didn't think we would be playing in June and July. Obviously under those givens, even if he would have been ready in June or July, they still would have just said September. Saying "he'll be ready to play in July" when there was no scheduled hockey in July would be strange.
I get the hockey timeline changed but I'm under the impression the "will be ready for training camp" meant the injury was severe and he would be out for a long time. Factor in how long he's been out without skating, I don't think there's a chance.

Reactions: eoin92

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I get the hockey timeline changed but I'm under the impression the "will be ready for training camp" meant the injury was severe and he would be out for a long time. Factor in how long he's been out without skating, I don't think there's a chance.
That’s how I took it too. Just wondering if anything changes. Although I truly don’t expect to see him.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Not only that but it is not like we are in a position where it is even worth the risk. We have 7-8 capable defensemen and 6 clear starters so there is no need for a guy who has not played in 6 months, let alone to put him into playoff games.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
are these games going to feel like playoff games or just exhibitions? Going tobe pretty funny when we hear f bombs all game due to no crowd noises. Anyway, LGI. Work that panther D baby!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad