Eklund Rumor: Isles pushing for Trouba

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
How do you value Scheifele?

That's how Islanders fans value Barzal. Guys like him are much, much more valuable than D like Trouba.

Trouba for Barzal would be similar to a Hall for Larsson trade.

Inferior talents? Dobson, Wahlstrom etc were just drafted high in the draft. They are highly unproven but blue chip prospects.

You don't get players like that for a guy that likely wants out.

Firstly good Defensmen are more valuable than good Forwards(because they play minutes and more multi-facet roles while being expected to be physical and get forechecked multiple times per game), the reason Hall was traded for Larson was exactly for that reason. Next I realize Barzal is a offensive force(he is one year away from proving he’s a franchise 1C while Tavares is away) who is younger, that’s why I said the idea of Barzal for Trouba is insane.

Dobson and Wahlstrom where taken later in there rounds and maybe Dobson has Trouba potential but he’s a still a risk(bust or underperform ofcoarse) as Trouba is a proven 2-way Defensive Force while Wahlstrom is a Winger who won’t help the Islanders in the Defence department.

You do get prospects like that for proven high end workhorses like Trouba without question.

Reactions: Snowman

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Any trade for Trouba you would have to assume there would be an extension or some sort of idea you can extend him in next 2 years
I am not interested in giving up top youngsters in the hope that Trouba can be wooed into accepting Malkins millions next July.

I would much rather take my chances on those blue chippers developing.

Reactions: PWJunior

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
With Trouba's contract status? Frequent holdouts? History and his agent being the primary motivator in talking Nino into leaving the Island for Clutterbuck+3rd?

The Islanders are in absolutely no position to move Wahlstrom, Dobson, or next year's first. Pulock as well. We need to reevaluate our young players under the coaching of Trotz, not go full Milbury and sell the farm to become a #8 seed. Trouba does nothing turning the Islanders into a contender.

Before JT left, it was "trade the farm to prove it to JT you want to win!" We didn't, and he left. Now it's "well, trade the farm anyway!"

Who's saying "trade the farm"? I'm strictly talking about trading a single player from an asset management point of view. Not blowing it up and trading all three of them. Trouba is obviously much more valuable than Wahlstrom, Dobson, next year's 1st or Pulock. If your main concern is to build around young players and not "sell the farm", then you could easily trade any one of those players mentioned straight up for Trouba, then turn around the next day and flip Trouba for futures of higher value than the player you gave up. The guy is arguably a top pairing d-man so teams will be lining up without a doubt even with his contract status and frequent holdouts.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
This is not about tanking, it's just dumb asset management and delusional believing that Trouba would so gladly re-sign with the Isles. Did you not get enough when Pajamas walked for nothing? Let's be THAT team that not only lost a #1C, let's go full blown dumbass and lose a #1RD for nothing too.

Cap space is an asset. While Trouba would help, he hurts on two counts:

1. The sizable price it would take to acquire him, likely giving up young talent who can perform on ELC contracts.
2. The sizable pricetag Trouba requires to re-sign on the Island.

With talk of Panarin looking to be traded as a pure rental and make it to July 1st next year with a small list of teams that appears to include the Islanders, and Barzal looking at guys like Eichel & Matthews in terms of RFA AAV when his contract runs up, I say let Trouba be someone else's problem. Let Edmonton give up Bouchard, or Chicago give up Boqvist for him instead - because both those team's windows seem a hell of a lot more open in the near future than the Islanders - so why are we the ones draining our strong prospect cabinets?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Firstly good Defensmen are more valuable than good Forwards(because they play minutes and more multi-facet roles while being expected to be physical and get forechecked multiple times per game), the reason Hall was traded for Larson was exactly for that reason. Next I realize Barzal is a offensive force(he is one year away from proving he’s a franchise 1C while Tavares is away) who is younger, that’s why I said the idea of Barzal for Trouba is insane.

Dobson and Wahlstrom where taken later in there rounds and maybe Dobson has Trouba potential but he’s a still a risk(bust or underperform ofcoarse) as Trouba is a proven 2-way Defensive Force while Wahlstrom is a Winger who won’t help the Islanders in the Defence department.

You do get prospects like that for proven high end workhorses like Trouba without question.
Dobson is drawing scouts comparisons to Seth Jones and Wahlstrom is being decribed as the 2nd best scoring sniper in this year's draft behind Zadina. He is thought to be a year away from nhl ready.

2 guaranteed seasons of Trouba vs 7 guaranteed seasons of Dobson/Walhstrom . I gladly take my chances on my 2 top prospects.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
This is not about tanking, it's just dumb asset management and delusional believing that Trouba would so gladly re-sign with the Isles. Did you not get enough when Pajamas walked for nothing? Let's be THAT team that not only lost a #1C, let's go full blown dumbass and lose a #1RD for nothing too.

I'd honestly rather be THAT team than the team that's afraid to make a move for guys with even two years of control because we got burned once. An RFA no less who we could lock up NOW long-term instead of waiting until that final year. This is a guy who wants to get paid. I don't think we have any pajama dreams to worry about here. Have some juevos.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'd honestly rather be THAT team than the team that's afraid to make a move for guys with even two years of control because we got burned once. An RFA no less who we could lock up NOW long-term instead of waiting until that final year. This is a guy who wants to get paid. I don't think we have any pajama dreams to worry about here. Have some juevos.
You seem like a reasonable man, what would you offer for Trouba(+ if you have to)

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

On the free agent market, he'll both get paid AND play where he wants to. He's on the cusp of making that happen.

I'd rather use my brain rather than my sizable 15 pounds of dangling fury when making a decision like this.

Why don't we sign Enstrom for nothing other than money so you can get your Winnipeg d-man fix? At least that move would make sense with low risk and an actual need for a LHD.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Who's saying "trade the farm"? I'm strictly talking about trading a single player from an asset management point of view. Not blowing it up and trading all three of them. Trouba is obviously much more valuable than Wahlstrom, Dobson, next year's 1st or Pulock. If your main concern is to build around young players and not "sell the farm", then you could easily trade any one of those players mentioned straight up for Trouba, then turn around the next day and flip Trouba for futures of higher value than the player you gave up. The guy is arguably a top pairing d-man so teams will be lining up without a doubt even with his contract status and frequent holdouts.

And Barzal will be lucky to ever be half the player Duchene is, and if you think at any point in his career Barzal will surpass Duchene (at his worst) you're a delusional Isles homer. I'm not even exaggerating for effort or anything. We've heard it all, how much better veteran players (who seem to want out of their current teams) are than our prospects. How delusional and homerish we sound making bluechip prospects like Barzal, Wahlstrom, and Dobson untouchable to a team nowhere close to being a Cup Contender. Again, at the end of the day I think Sakic got a fantastic return for Duchene, with Girard and the Sens 2019 1st being wonderful prizes that any Avs fan should be excited for. But it also teaches a lesson - don't be the Senators in that trade.

Speaking of the Senators - if we're gonna push all-in for a RHD with "some sort of idea to extend him" - why settle for Trouba when a bigger fish needs a new pond?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
LMFAO Eklund has yet to get a single rumor right, I can see the Wings and Leafs heaily pursuing Trouba. But not the Isles.
We were told by credible sources that the isles pursued Karlsson ,who is several yrs older then Trouba.EK refused the nyi extension request and those trade talks ended.

It would not be surprising if Lou has kicked the tires on Trouba. Does not mean the Isles & Jets could reach an agreement or that Trouba would want a NYI extension.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
You seem like a reasonable man, what would you offer for Trouba(+ if you have to)

I said in one of the previous posts, something around Pulock and Bellows. I'm guessing another add but not sure what WPG would be after.

On the free agent market, he'll both get paid AND play where he wants to. He's on the cusp of making that happen.

I'd rather use my brain rather than my sizable 15 pounds of dangling fury when making a decision like this.

Why don't we sign Enstrom for nothing other than money so you can get your Winnipeg d-man fix? At least that move would make sense with low risk and an actual need for a LHD.

He's already looking for a long-term deal. Wouldn't it at least make sense for Lou to talk to the agent(which I'm assuming he'll be allowed to do if they're talking trade) to see if he is ready to sign long-term? I highly doubt Lou goes in blind on a hope and a prayer(even though the hold-up at this point has been $$$ amount and not location - although I guess that could all be smoke and mirrors).

Just because your #4D spot is a need doesn't mean you should pass up the opportunity to bring in a 24 year old top-pairing D. Keep Hickey as your placeholder until Pelech or Toews or Wotherspoon or Michael McGillicutty(or any other no-name who comes out of nowhere) earns that spot. If none of them do, address it later. At least at that point you'll have your top-pairing squared away and Boychuk playing in a role that better suits him at this point in his career. A role where he could mentor a young D partner(*cough*Toews*cough*) instead of asking the 23 year old Ryan Pulock to be the "vet" on the 2nd pairing.

Yeah, I've been on Trouba's jock for a while - sure - but that doesn't change the fact that 24 year old top-pairing D don't grow on trees, and it's even more rare for them to be available on the trade market. Especially in a deal that wouldn't gut us(I don't consider Pulock and Bellows gutting us, if that is indeed what the core of the deal will end up being).

Best case, he re-signs. Worst case, a year and a half passes by and the Tavares Lesson at leasts benefits us in that we'll know to deal him then and recoup some assets. No matter what there is no scenario where Trouba walks away from the Isles for nothing.

...again, let them dangling fruit breathe a bit. BTW that's a big speedbag my friend.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Would like to chime in for poops and giggles.

The Isles have the assets to get this done. Many of their prospects I like.

I don't expect Barzal is part of the package, he is a guy you build a franchise around.

We need a defenceman. Pulock is good and getting better. A big add is required however.

I like Pulock and Wahlstrom. I like Pulock and Dobson. Our right defence could be set for a decade if we get those two even though we would take a step back next year. The cap space could be enormous for us.

I like a defence with Morrissey, Pulock and Dobson in their prime to compliment our young forwards.

So much depends on if Chevy thinks we can win soon or if he stays more patient.

I don't see Detroit having the right assets to get it done.

The Leafs a re intriguing. I want Liljegren as a starting point and then another big add. I would say Nylander.

Trouba is going to cost....a helluva lot.

Last edited:

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Dobson is drawing scouts comparisons to Seth Jones and Wahlstrom is being decribed as the 2nd best scoring sniper in this year's draft behind Zadina. He is thought to be a year away from nhl ready.

2 guaranteed seasons of Trouba vs 7 guaranteed seasons of Dobson/Walhstrom . I gladly take my chances on my 2 top prospects.

Again Dobson isn’t proven and he wasn’t even Top 10 in the draft(there is a reason for that, he’s no Seth Jones), he’s be lucky to become a Trouba level defensemen as well.

Wahlstrom is behind both Zadina and Svechnikov(who was #2 Overall in the draft, so it shouldn’t be all that hard to forget) as a Sniper, that’s not saying much, I could argue a draft pick in Gustafsson for the Jets was one of the best defensive forwards in the draft but it doesn’t change the guys value(as he’s not that valuable, just as Wahlstrom isn’t as valuable as Trouba just because he’s too heavy in one category).

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Would like to chime in for poops and giggles.

The Isles have the assets to get this done. Many of their prospects I like.

I don't expect Barzal is part of the package, the is a guy you build a franchise around.

We need a defenceman. Pulock is good and getting better. A big add is required however.

I like Pulock and Wahlstrom. I like Pulock and Dobson. Our right defence could be set for a decade if we get those two even though we would take a step back next year. The cap space could be enormous for us.

I like a defence with Morrissey, Pulock and Dobson in their prime to compliment our young forwards.

So much depends on if Chevy thinks we can win soon or if he stays more patient.

I don't see Detroit having the right assets to get it done.

The Leafs a re intriguing. I want Liljegren as a starting point and then another big add. I would say Nylander.

Trouba is going to cost....a helluva lot.

Trouba would make the leafs better more than nylander would for the jets

Trouba is definitely worth more than nylander

Trouba on the leafs make the leafs look like real contenders
If I were the leafs id heavily consider

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
RFA Trouba is worth more than your 3c, even with this contract mess. Mid firsts are always a good add in though.

Thats what it would take in my mind to consider a trade with you guys.

Perhaps he is to you, but I disagree. His contract mess is not a great situation is Kadri is signed at a steal.
Our 3C is like ROR, low-end 1C/dynamite 2C. He's only 3 because of the guys ahead of him.
That depth will allow Kadri to go against 3rd pairs on the road, or at home continuing his shut down role, allowing Matthews/Tavares to get some very favourable matchups.
It is also great insurance against injuries.

Trouba isn't worth giving up on that

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Trouba would make the leafs better more than nylander would for the jets

Trouba is definitely worth more than nylander

Trouba on the leafs make the leafs look like real contenders
If I were the leafs id heavily consider

In the short term your probably right....but I see Nylander between Ehlers and Laine as something incredibly special.

I am making an assumption that Nylander is a true natural centre...to be honest I have not seen him play enough to have a solid opinion on that....would be interested to hear what leafs fans have to say..

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
You think that having a good 3C is more important for Leafs than actually getting some defense?

I don't think our situation is near as desperate as HF wants to crow about.

I just typed out why Kadri is so valuable in reply to another quote.
You can try to downplay things calling him a "good 3C" if you want, but I'm sure you know that is not accurate. He's an elite 2C in reality.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I said in one of the previous posts, something around Pulock and Bellows. I'm guessing another add but not sure what WPG would be after.

He's already looking for a long-term deal. Wouldn't it at least make sense for Lou to talk to the agent(which I'm assuming he'll be allowed to do if they're talking trade) to see if he is ready to sign long-term? I highly doubt Lou goes in blind on a hope and a prayer(even though the hold-up at this point has been $$$ amount and not location - although I guess that could all be smoke and mirrors).

Just because your #4D spot is a need doesn't mean you should pass up the opportunity to bring in a 24 year old top-pairing D. Keep Hickey as your placeholder until Pelech or Toews or Wotherspoon or Michael McGillicutty(or any other no-name who comes out of nowhere) earns that spot. If none of them do, address it later. At least at that point you'll have your top-pairing squared away and Boychuk playing in a role that better suits him at this point in his career. A role where he could mentor a young D partner(*cough*Toews*cough*) instead of asking the 23 year old Ryan Pulock to be the "vet" on the 2nd pairing.

Yeah, I've been on Trouba's jock for a while - sure - but that doesn't change the fact that 24 year old top-pairing D don't grow on trees, and it's even more rare for them to be available on the trade market. Especially in a deal that wouldn't gut us(I don't consider Pulock and Bellows gutting us, if that is indeed what the core of the deal will end up being).

Best case, he re-signs. Worst case, a year and a half passes by and the Tavares Lesson at leasts benefits us in that we'll know to deal him then and recoup some assets. No matter what there is no scenario where Trouba walks away from the Isles for nothing.

...again, let them dangling fruit breathe a bit. BTW that's a big speedbag my friend.
What would it take for u to move pulock+Wahlstrom?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad