Eklund Rumor: Isles pushing for Trouba

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
1st off my trade proposal didn't mean that's what I was expecting the jets to take. It's what I would offer and in no way would I find it wrong if they hung up the phone. So we are trading Pulock, Beauvillier, and a pick/prospect to have a upgrade on D for a rebuilding team. This makes no sense the more I think about it. Trouba is a great player just really a bad time for us to get him, if Tavares was here that would be something different.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
No kidding. As an Islanders fan I'd only offer Pulock, Nelson and a 1st. We can't afford to let go of Bellows, Wahlstrom or Dobson go for anyone, regardless of how improved our D short-term would be with Trouba. That's probably "fair value" but nothing that would make me as a GM make the trade, unless the Jets really, really needed to get Trouba off the team for whatever reason and no other offers were on the table.

thats a pretty good offer imho, especially considering that isles pick is likely to be in the 10-15 range

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Two more RFA years. This arbitration deal is highly unlikely to take him to UFA, if it ever happens.
Does he or team get to choose length ? He could just file again if team chose one year too right. I know they are one or two years but I can't remember who picks. He seems likely tho cuz he already has had problems signing contracts before he could get arbitration

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Does he or team get to choose length ? He could just file again if team chose one year too right
The side who didn't file (=the Jets) gets to choose the length of the arbitration contract.

He could. If so, he probably will file in a year's time.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Does he or team get to choose length ? He could just file again if team chose one year too right. I know they are one or two years but I can't remember who picks

The team gets to choose length but I think it is somewhat dependent on the numbers involved. The team can also walk away from the award but obviously they won't in this case

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The side who didn't file (=the Jets) gets to choose the length of the arbitration contract.

He could. If so, he probably will file in a year's time.
So Winnipeg would probably choose one year so they get another chance to trade him as an rfa or see if he will sign long-term

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Not that I'm buying this but for the sake of discussion, I would like to assume that the Isles 1st will be off the table. I'm about as "glass half full" as it gets but I don't think I can deal with another '15 Buffalo draft pick situation - luckily though we made the playoffs that year, but even with Trouba our goaltending will still be suspect to say the least. That's a big roll of the dice. I guess Lou can always go the "top-3 protected" route, but still...

If I had to guess on a package, I'd say Pulock, Bellows, and Nelson? The first two seem likely but not sure on the third piece. Depends if they like Nelson and if they're willing to on a guy who could be making $4M+ (on top of Pulock @ $2M for the next 2 seasons).

My guess as far as untouchables would be Barzal and Beauvillier. I think Dobson and Wahlstrom are pretty close to that list as well. After that I'd say anyone is on the table.
We have no need for Nelson, so forget him. In fact, we are unlikely to have cap space for him either. Pulock alone will take 2 million off the cap space earmarked for JT, and the rest would probably go towards securing Morrissey's services on a long-term deal.

For what it's worth, the Jets' scouts should actually have quite a bit of info on Bellows, for he played on the same line as Skyler McKenzie, a Jets prospect for the Winterhawks last year. Not that I know how much they like him, but that could be a factor in case Bellows was offered.

Barzal is 100% not for sale, and I highly doubt Wahlstrom is being offered either. But one of Pulock and Dobson must be on the table, or else there is no reason for the Jets to bite. Getting both would be a pipe dream, but one is a necessity.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
So Winnipeg would probably choose one year so they get another chance to trade him as an rfa or see if he will sign long-term
If Trouba was to file with one RFA year left, the only option would be a one-year contract in arbitration.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
If Trouba was to file with one RFA year left, the only option would be a one-year contract in arbitration.
Well he can do it twice if he wants right ? I don't see why peg would give him two years to send him to ufa I feel like he's worth more as an rfa even if he files again

Reactions: klozge

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Well he can do it twice if he wants right ? I don't see why peg would give him two years to send him to ufa I feel like he's worth more as an rfa even if he files again
That's precisely how things are likely to unfold, if Trouba chooses that route.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
No I’m not, many people say players look similar without evaluating skill. Generally saying a player reminds someone of someone else means pretty much nothing. Dobson is a great Defensive prospect(he’s actually my second favourite behind Dahlin) but the risk that’s taken with trading prospects for proven NHL players(who are relatively young them self) is to much which should make the NHL player more valuable(unless we are talking a Top 3 pick like Dahlin, Heiskanen or better).

Wahlstrom could very well become as good as Boeser or Connor but that’s not even guaranteed and is best case scenario while even if he where to be that good in progression than he still wouldn’t be as valuable as a High end 1st Pair Shutdown Defensemen.
I am more then happy taking the risk Dobson develops into Seth Jones 2.0 and Wahlstrom develops into a Boeser or Connor .

The only isle prospects to come out of the draft with more hype as these 2 in the last decade, have been Tavares and Barzal.

2 guaranteed seasons of Trouba vs 7 guaranteed seasons Dobson/Walhstrom.....again I will take my chances with my 2 bluechippers.

Reactions: PWJunior

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Here’s the best list of examples to why “Blue Chip Prospect” will never be as good as my experienced and proven 1st pairing player...

• Dal Colle
• Reinhart
• Ho Sang
• Ryan Strome(he was looking good but completely hit the ditch)
• De Haan(he was good but he was never a Top Pairing talent and was also drafted at the same spot as Dobson)

The list can go on and on, proven players should always be of more value unless we are talking Franchise altering potential(and no Dobson and Wahlstrom are far from it).

Fortunately for the isles Dobson +Walhstrom have much better speed then Reinhart +MDC,in a league where speed and skill are becoming more important.
CDH was never considered to be a potential top pairing D. He ended up a very good #3 whose development was slowed by injuries.

And let's not write off 22 yr old JHS who has 22 pts in 43 total nhl games. Snow buried him in Bridgeport because of his lack of a 200 ft game, ignoring that even after JHS demotion, the team D remained a mess with Weight's head scratching defensive scheme ( do not block shots,allow goalie a clear view).

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
We do, I would think so

Question is do the islanders want to sacrifice long term potential for short term help. How old is Trouba? I imagine if we brought him in it would be as a core player

That said I do think this is much ado about nothing, Eklund takes random shots in the dark
Winnipeg is in win-now mode. After next year they will ose a lot of core players. Myers Wheeler Little Trouba probably gone before training camp The Isles are not a good fit. The Jets don't need guys 3-4 years away. They need players now. As for Trouba being old he is 24. Not exactly what you would call an old core player.

Winnipeg needs a vet 3rd line center and a very good shut down RHD to replace Trouba if they trade him. No point in getting a player who makes around the same money when they can't afford Trouba long term, so they would just be in the same position. Looking around the NHL Vancouver makes a ton of sense for the Jets. Troba Like Tanev miss a lot of games due to the style they play. They both are more shutdown Than offensive guys, and the Nucks can throw in Sutter 50% retrained and maybe a 3rd. Tanev instantly Makes the Jets better when you take into account his contract and the plus you would get along with him since Trouba is 4 years younger.

Maybe not the sexiest trade. But one that I don't see a lot of elite shutdown #1 puck possession D available for 4.5 mill. Makes the Jets that much better. I personally would only trade Tanev for Trouba or Montador. Hughes and Tanev will be such an amazing duo. Q will cut back on Tanevs broken bone epidemic so much. He will be worth a ton at the TDL. If we could get Trouba who fits in our age group, that is the only real plus he has on Tanev. Combine that with Hughes OJ Woo Rathbone Tram Untenen my god that is scary good in 2 years or less.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Winnipeg is in win-now mode. After next year they will ose a lot of core players. Myers Wheeler Little Trouba probably gone before training camp The Isles are not a good fit. The Jets don't need guys 3-4 years away. They need players now. As for Trouba being old he is 24. Not exactly what you would call an old core player.

Winnipeg needs a vet 3rd line center and a very good shut down RHD to replace Trouba if they trade him. No point in getting a player who makes around the same money when they can't afford Trouba long term, so they would just be in the same position. Looking around the NHL Vancouver makes a ton of sense for the Jets. Troba Like Tanev miss a lot of games due to the style they play. They both are more shutdown Than offensive guys, and the Nucks can throw in Sutter 50% retrained and maybe a 3rd. Tanev instantly Makes the Jets better when you take into account his contract and the plus you would get along with him since Trouba is 4 years younger.

Maybe not the sexiest trade. But one that I don't see a lot of elite shutdown #1 puck possession D available for 4.5 mill. Makes the Jets that much better. I personally would only trade Tanev for Trouba or Montador. Hughes and Tanev will be such an amazing duo. Q will cut back on Tanevs broken bone epidemic so much. He will be worth a ton at the TDL. If we could get Trouba who fits in our age group, that is the only real plus he has on Tanev. Combine that with Hughes OJ Woo Rathbone Tram Untenen my god that is scary good in 2 years or less.
So, you're offering Tanev and Sutter @ 50% for Trouba? f*** no.

3rd line center is nowhere near a need. We just extended our guy this week. As for Tanev, he is an offensive black hole who suppresses shots at a great rate, but Trouba can also do that while providing 1D offense. We would be significantly worse off after making that deal, and we would have nothing to show for that deal in a few years' time.

Just horrific.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Tanev is not bringing back anything close to Trouba, unless there is a huge + headed to Winnipeg along with Tanev.

Jason Botchford: Do the Canucks have a defenceman they can package in beneficial trade?

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Eklund reporting that NYI, Leafs and Wings all putting big offers for Trouba in front of Chevy.......
NY has nothing the Jets need now. They are not rebuilding. Leafs have nothing to offer the Jets. They need a D coming back not Willy. Detroit has 2c mill cap space and yet to sign Larkin and only have 20 players signed. Please tell me what D they have to give to the Jets. If Trouba goes its is to the Flyers or the Canucks. teams with players the Jets actually could use, Canucks even could take on a contract to help the Jets sign some of their players.

Last edited by a moderator:

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
So, you're offering Tanev and Sutter @ 50% for Trouba? **** no.

3rd line center is nowhere near a need. We just extended our guy this week. As for Tanev, he is an offensive black hole who suppresses shots at a great rate, but Trouba can also do that while providing 1D offense. We would be significantly worse off after making that deal, and we would have nothing to show for that deal in a few years' time.

Just horrific.
Ya Trouba had tons of points. Let's see how your rookie 3rd line center does in the playoffs. Tanev is way better than Trouba when it comes to D. Black hole? He is a shutdown D. The best in the league. He isn't there for offense. As for what you would have to show? gee maybe ea cup. Some cap relief. Not always the sexy trades that win Championships. Sutter at 2.5 and Tanev at 4.5 Makes you guys the best team in the weat hands down. Watch a few Canucks games this year Maybe you will see what I'm talking about. As for being ignorant and crass. Totally uncalled for. If you disagree fine you don't need to be an ass about it.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Ya Trouba had tons of points. Let's see how your rookie 3rd line center does in the playoffs. Tanev is way better than Trouba when it comes to D. Black hole? He is a shutdown D. The best in the league. He isn't there for offense. As for what you would have to show? gee maybe ea cup. Some cap relief. Not always the sexy trades that win Championships. Sutter at 2.5 and Tanev at 4.5 Makes you guys the best team in the weat hands down. Watch a few Canucks games this year Maybe you will see what I'm talking about. As for being ignorant and crass. Totally uncalled for. If you disagree fine you don't need to be an ass about it.
You're consistently wrong with about everything. The 3rd line C is Lowry, who posted league-best results in terms of shot suppression and possession metrics. Trouba has been a top 10 point producer at ES over the last two years, whereas Tanev is near the rock bottom. If you're getting rid of Trouba, you need at least some kind of point production to replace him with.

Tanev and Sutter make us worse and ruin our cap situation for next year. No thanks.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

I agree to many people are ***holes straight off the hop but to be fair that deal is pretty far off in value... Trouba is very young and probably just a good defensively as Tanev(they are both excellent in that area) but in saying that we must also acknowledge the fact Trouba has outdone Tanev in Points in every season of his career. Sutter doesn’t help the trade, Jet already have Lowry and Little at 3c and 4c so they don’t need another one.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Tanev is not bringing back anything close to Trouba, unless there is a huge + headed to Winnipeg along with Tanev.

Jason Botchford: Do the Canucks have a defenceman they can package in beneficial trade?
Almost identical numbers./ and Tanev is better on D I said a plus would be included What makes it a big plus? Last time I checked Trouba wasn't elite in one Category. Tanev has the best analytics of any shutdown d in the league. and it's not even close. Not to mention Trouba is a liar who is quickly becoming one of those guys teams stay away from. On second thought keep him. Have fun when he leaves in 2 years. We have Woo good old ST Boniface kid. Besides Trouba gets hurt as much as Tanev. That was the only complaint other teams used against him. You guys can't use that one, can you?
Not bringing anything close to Trouba

Last edited by a moderator:

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
I agree to many people are ***holes straight off the hop but to be fair that deal is pretty far off in value... Trouba is very young and probably just a good defensively as Tanev(they are both excellent in that area) but in saying that we must also acknowledge the fact Trouba has outdone Tanev in Points in every season of his career. Sutter doesn’t help the trade, Jet already have Lowry and Little at 3c and 4c so they don’t need another one.
Fair enough. a decent Jet fan kudos. TBH I wanted Trouba for his age. He fits in well with our core going forward, Plus I think Tanev would be a big help for you guys. Maybe a 2020 1st? If not I think good old ST Boniface Woo will be a lot like Trouba but with maybe maybe a higher point ceiling. I just thought Hughes and Trouba would work well together. Tho so would Tanev. I thought a guy like Sutter could really add some veteran depth. Especially if you lose little. Plus if we retain that's more money to put towards Wheeler Cheers For the record I really hope you guys do well next year. Would love to see a Canuck Jet conference final.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Fair enough. a decent Jet fan kudos. TBH I wanted Trouba for his age. He fits in well with our core going forward, Plus I think Tanev would be a big help for you guys. Maybe a 2020 1st? If not I think good old ST Boniface Woo will be a lot like Trouba but with maybe maybe a higher point ceiling. I just thought Hughes and Trouba would work well together. Tho so would Tanev. I thought a guy like Sutter could really add some veteran depth. Especially if you lose little. Plus if we retain that's more money to put towards Wheeler Cheers For the record I really hope you guys do well next year. Would love to see a Canuck Jet conference final.

I’d love Tanev and a 2020 1st/Woo but I doubt the Canucks would drop a recently picked Prospect or a potential high end pick in such a good draft. I hope all the best to the Canucks too, I’m actually pretty excited to see how Pettersson, Hughes and Juolevi(if all of them make it) look, teams looks pretty similar to in young talent to what the 2016 Jets where like so let’s hope they can stay on a similar track and be successful going forwards too. All that said I wouldn’t want you guys to have Trouba, that defence could be pretty darn hard to play against one day, especially if Juolevi pans out into a great Defensemen and I’m confident Hughes will be somewhere in between Ellis and Karlsson going forward, having a High end Two-Way workhorse like Trouba could make it unfair.

Anyways best of luck to you and your favourite team(Canucks) and remember most people online aren’t very cordial so take the insults and harshness with a grain of salt(people are pretty uptight about there opinions, including me and it’s not hard to comment aggressively about them either as everyone’s just a keyboard away from doing so), my suggestion is read the argument and ignore the hate...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad