Eklund Rumor: Isles pushing for Trouba

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Would like to chime in for poops and giggles.

The Isles have the assets to get this done. Many of their prospects I like.

I don't expect Barzal is part of the package, he is a guy you build a franchise around.

We need a defenceman. Pulock is good and getting better. A big add is required however.

I like Pulock and Wahlstrom. I like Pulock and Dobson. Our right defence could be set for a decade if we get those two even though we would take a step back next year. The cap space could be enormous for us.

I like a defence with Morrissey, Pulock and Dobson in their prime to compliment our young forwards.

So much depends on if Chevy thinks we can win soon or if he stays more patient.

I don't see Detroit having the right assets to get it done.

The Leafs a re intriguing. I want Liljegren as a starting point and then another big add. I would say Nylander.

Trouba is going to cost....a helluva lot.

Detroit has the assets.

I don't think they'll trade them for Trouba though.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Detroit has the assets.

I don't think they'll trade them for Trouba though.

Detroit has assets but not the kind we need. We need high end pieces, not depth stuff...

This is no shot at the Wings, I like what they are doing and are going in the right direction.

I just don't see them with that high end Matthews/Laine/Eichel?McDavid/Dahlin piece teams need.

And if that were not the case, they probably would not trade it for Trouba.

That said, what would the Wings be willing to offer?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Again Dobson isn’t proven and he wasn’t even Top 10 in the draft(there is a reason for that, he’s no Seth Jones), he’s be lucky to become a Trouba level defensemen as well.

Wahlstrom is behind both Zadina and Svechnikov(who was #2 Overall in the draft, so it shouldn’t be all that hard to forget) as a Sniper, that’s not saying much, I could argue a draft pick in Gustafsson for the Jets was one of the best defensive forwards in the draft but it doesn’t change the guys value(as he’s not that valuable, just as Wahlstrom isn’t as valuable as Trouba just because he’s too heavy in one category).

I do not care that 18 yr old Dobson a defenseman, is not nhl ready. That is the least of my concerns. And you are not impressed by the scouts comparing Dobson to Jones? Ate the scouting reports comparing him to Pietrangelo more accurate?
He fell out of the top 10 when Arizona and the NYR reached for forwards projected to be picked outside the top 10.

Is Wahlstrom another Brock Boeser? A Connor? Possibly.
He was the most impressive kid at the recent prospects camp and projected to be nhl ready on 2019-2020.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Detroit has assets but not the kind we need. We need high end pieces, not depth stuff...

This is no shot at the Wings, I like what they are doing and are going in the right direction.

I just don't see them with that high end Matthews/Laine/Eichel?McDavid/Dahlin piece teams need.

Nothing.

And you think Trouba gets you one of those guys?

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Again Dobson isn’t proven and he wasn’t even Top 10 in the draft(there is a reason for that, he’s no Seth Jones), he’s be lucky to become a Trouba level defensemen as well.

Again Barzal isn't proven and he wasn't even Top 15 in the draft (there is a reason for that, he's no Dylan Strome), he's lucky to become a Duchene level center as well.

Reactions: LeapOnOver and SI90

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I do not care that 18 yr old Dobson a defenseman, is not nhl ready. That is the least of my concerns. And you are not impressed by the scouts comparing Dobson to Jones? Ate the scouting reports comparing him to Pietrangelo more accurate?
He fell out of the top 10 when Arizona and the NYR reached for forwards projected to be picked outside the top 10.

Is Wahlstrom another Brock Boeser? A Connor? Possibly.
He was the most impressive kid at the recent prospects camp and projected to be nhl ready on 2019-2020.

No I’m not, many people say players look similar without evaluating skill. Generally saying a player reminds someone of someone else means pretty much nothing. Dobson is a great Defensive prospect(he’s actually my second favourite behind Dahlin) but the risk that’s taken with trading prospects for proven NHL players(who are relatively young them self) is to much which should make the NHL player more valuable(unless we are talking a Top 3 pick like Dahlin, Heiskanen or better).

Wahlstrom could very well become as good as Boeser or Connor but that’s not even guaranteed and is best case scenario while even if he where to be that good in progression than he still wouldn’t be as valuable as a High end 1st Pair Shutdown Defensemen.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Again Barzal isn't proven and he wasn't even Top 15 in the draft (there is a reason for that, he's no Dylan Strome), he's lucky to become a Duchene level center as well.

Your missing my point, as you just used a great example for it as any player can bust regardless of there draft status(and the lower they are the higher chances there are for a bust or under performing career, as there are ver, very few Barzals in today’s hockey or hockey history in general).

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
What would it take for u to move pulock+Wahlstrom?

It just wouldn't happen. With Eberle an impending UFA and Ho-Sang's NHL career uncertain, Wahlstrom has become one of the most important pieces in our organization. Most see him as Barzal's sniper of the future.

The only blue-chipper I'd be willing to add on top of Pulock would be Bellows. How far off is that duo?

BTW, PW might kill me if I traded Wahlstrom in a deal for Trouba. Can't have that.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
In the short term your probably right....but I see Nylander between Ehlers and Laine as something incredibly special.

I am making an assumption that Nylander is a true natural centre...to be honest I have not seen him play enough to have a solid opinion on that....would be interested to hear what leafs fans have to say..

Pretty sure he's been playing winger mostly wouldn't bet on it even he does become a true 2/3c

I like ehlers more than Trouba right now, but Trouba will probably end upba true top paid defenseman if he's not already. Would really give that strength in the back that they need

Maybe leafs can't afford Trouba tho. I don't know their cap situation

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It just wouldn't happen. With Eberle an impending UFA and Ho-Sang's NHL career uncertain, Wahlstrom has become one of the most important pieces in our organization. Most see him as Barzal's sniper of the future.

The only blue-chipper I'd be willing to add on top of Pulock would be Bellows. How far off is that duo?

BTW, PW might kill me if I traded Wahlstrom in a deal for Trouba. Can't have that.
I don't think it's far off... Was just wondering what it would take for Wahlstrom.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Your missing my point, as you just used a great example for it as any player can bust regardless of there draft status(and the lower they are the higher chances there are for a bust or under performing career, as there are ver, very few Barzals in today’s hockey or hockey history in general).

So because Barzal had such an amazing rookie season, we should assume that's merely a one-in-a-million outlier and subsequently trade all other bluechip talent at poor value?

You're missing my point. You're "Dobson would be lucky to ever become as good as Trouba!" ultimatum was heard last year, when we were told how unlikely it was Barzal ever lives up to Duchene. Barzal only went on to have the best rookie season since Malkin. At the end of the day, it's the same argument:

Your bluechip prospect will never be as good as my veteran player (that I'm looking to trade) because I say so.

It didn't work last year when Barzal+++ was expected for Duchene.

So please don't expect us to trade Dobson++ for Trouba. Especially with Tavares leaving.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Sure, but why would you mention Matthews/Laine/Eichel/Dahlin and McDavid in a Trouba conversation? You'd never get one of them for him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I would think WPG would be more likely to try and Trade Myers or Buff and then just Sign Trouba long term.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
You mean the same Vegas that wooed Tavares, Karlsson etc with their cap space?
Stastny, and they have the room for Karlsson n'est pas? In case you did not know, Karlsson isn't a UFA that could be wooed. Cap space is a very big asset. Keep pretending that it isn't though.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
I would think WPG would be more likely to try and Trade Myers or Buff and then just Sign Trouba long term.
Trouba needs to want to sign for a certain amount, Winnipeg isn't going to just pay him whatever it takes or he demands. If it isn't fair then the Jets won't succumb to an offer he won't refuse.

Reactions: Eyeseeing and SI90

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
So because Barzal had such an amazing rookie season, we should assume that's merely a one-in-a-million outlier and subsequently trade all other bluechip talent at poor value?

You're missing my point. You're "Dobson would be lucky to ever become as good as Trouba!" ultimatum was heard last year, when we were told how unlikely it was Barzal ever lives up to Duchene. Barzal only went on to have the best rookie season since Malkin. At the end of the day, it's the same argument:

Your bluechip prospect will never be as good as my veteran player (that I'm looking to trade) because I say so.

It didn't work last year when Barzal+++ was expected for Duchene.

So please don't expect us to trade Dobson++ for Trouba. Especially with Tavares leaving.

Here’s the best list of examples to why “Blue Chip Prospect” will never be as good as my experienced and proven 1st pairing player...

• Dal Colle
• Reinhart
• Ho Sang
• Ryan Strome(he was looking good but completely hit the ditch)
• De Haan(he was good but he was never a Top Pairing talent and was also drafted at the same spot as Dobson)

The list can go on and on, proven players should always be of more value unless we are talking Franchise altering potential(and no Dobson and Wahlstrom are far from it).

Reactions: Snowman

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Stastny, and they have the room for Karlsson n'est pas? In case you did not know, Karlsson isn't a UFA that could be wooed. Cap space is a very big asset. Keep pretending that it isn't though.

It's only an asset if the player wants to be on your team. Check Montreal ...all dressed up and nowhere to go

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I'd say the reasin this comes up is that the arbitrator is somewhere around 12 hours from announcing Trouba's award. Until that point, he can still be signed to a deal. After that award comes down (assuming the Jets accept it and obviously they will) it's my understanding that he can't sign an extension until January 1st. If he's getting traded this summer, it'll be to a team that has an extension agreed upon before the trade and it'll likely happen first thing in the morning on Sunday.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
It's only an asset if the player wants to be on your team. Check Montreal ...all dressed up and nowhere to go
Players don't want to go to Vegas? Ask Stastny, Fleury et al. It's an asset, not all encompassing but an integral one.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'd say the reasin this comes up is that the arbitrator is somewhere around 12 hours from announcing Trouba's award. Until that point, he can still be signed to a deal. After that award comes down (assuming the Jets accept it and obviously they will) it's my understanding that he can't sign an extension until January 1st. If he's getting traded this summer, it'll be to a team that has an extension agreed upon before the trade and it'll likely happen first thing in the morning on Sunday.

My guess is Jets will most likely accept the award then trade him at next year's draft. I can't see any teams giving the Jets value they want without getting Trouba to agree to extend.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
My guess is Jets will most likely accept the award then trade him at next year's draft. I can't see any teams giving the Jets value they want without getting Trouba to agree to extend.
It would be a lot to work out in a short time even if discussions had been taking place prior to Friday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad