Eklund Rumor: Isles pushing for Trouba

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Pulock, Barzal, Dobson, and Wahlstrom are off the table.

If that means no Trouba, so be it.

Replace Pulock with Beauvillier. If you're getting Trouba back IMO it makes Pulock tradeable. You're basically trading Pulock's upside for the sure-thing, even though they're different players.

The question then becomes what we'll have to add on top of Pulock to get a deal done.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I remember hearing "if all it took was Barzal+Hamonic+1st to get Duchene, Snow would have already made that trade" all the time last offseason. My general rule of thumb? Don't speak behalf on another team's GM, in the case of how certain you are they'd trade elite bluechip prospects.

At least let Islander fans speak on behalf of Islander prospects, as opposed to "as a Leaf fan let me tell you how little hesitation Lou would have to trade Wahlstrom and/or Dobson".

Come on man. Are you honestly telling me that you dont think Lou would trade one of those three players straight up for Trouba? I dont care what team I follow, that's absurd. That's hardly the same as Barzal + Hamonic + a 1st for Duchene.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
In no way do I trade either Pulock, Wahlstrom, or Dobson for him. It just doesn't make sense for us to give up futures for a team with a mini rebuild going on. I will offer the following.....

Pelech
Bellows
Sorokin or Soderstrom
2nd 2019

Not a chance you get Trouba with without Pulock, Dobson or Dobson(unless somehow Barzal was put in the equation, which would be insane). It’s insane you think 3 players who are inferior talents to Trouba would not be put in a trade with Trouba(assuming you could get him for quantity assets which the Jets already have pleanty if).

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
That alone doesn't get you anywhere close to Scheif. Trouba isn't worth that the other way.

No real deal to be had between these two teams.

Isles have plenty of chips to make a trade, but the original proposal of 4 first rounders for Touba was absurd.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Replace Pulock with Beauvillier. If you're getting Trouba back IMO it makes Pulock tradeable. You're basically trading Pulock's upside for the sure-thing, even though they're different players.

The question then becomes what we'll have to add on top of Pulock to get a deal done.

Dealing Pulock + for Trouba is both short sighted and poor asset management for the Isles. I wonder what we'll get back for Trouba when we have to trade him after a year when he won't re-sign. Maybe it works out better than the Vanek fiasco went, but not by much.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Not a chance you get Trouba with without Pulock, Dobson or Dobson(unless somehow Barzal was put in the equation, which would be insane). It’s insane you think 3 players who are inferior talents to Trouba would not be put in a trade with Trouba(assuming you could get him for quantity assets which the Jets already have pleanty if).

How do you value Scheifele?

That's how Islanders fans value Barzal. Guys like him are much, much more valuable than D like Trouba.

Trouba for Barzal would be similar to a Hall for Larsson trade.

Inferior talents? Dobson, Wahlstrom etc were just drafted high in the draft. They are highly unproven but blue chip prospects.

You don't get players like that for a guy that likely wants out.

Reactions: PWJunior

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
No chance I would move Dobson for Trouba.

Dobson on the other hand? For sure

Reactions: Pi

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Isles have plenty of chips to make a trade, but the original proposal of 4 first rounders for Touba was absurd.

Yeah no way he gets close to that. But the Isles just have nothing the Jets want. Barzal is probably the only thing we would realistically be after and he isn't available. I think the best bet we have is to try and wait for a team to get desperate enough to give us a top 6C. We have until next TD at the latest if Trouba gets a year in arb.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Yeah no way he gets close to that. But the Isles just have nothing the Jets want. Barzal is probably the only thing we would realistically be after and he isn't available. I think the best bet we have is to try and wait for a team to get desperate enough to give us a top 6C. We have until next TD at the latest if Trouba gets a year in arb.

Agree there is no rush. But if Jets like Pulock, he could be a young RHD they could target to replace JT. Pulock plus one of the other 1st round picks could be a fair return ??

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agree there is no rush. But if Jets like Pulock, he could be a young RHD they could target to replace JT. Pulock plus one of the other 1st round picks could be a fair return ??

I can't see why they would want to move him given he seems to be developing well.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Come on man. Are you honestly telling me that you dont think Lou would trade one of those three players straight up for Trouba? I dont care what team I follow, that's absurd. That's hardly the same as Barzal + Hamonic + a 1st for Duchene.

With Trouba's contract status? Frequent holdouts? History and his agent being the primary motivator in talking Nino into leaving the Island for Clutterbuck+3rd?

The Islanders are in absolutely no position to move Wahlstrom, Dobson, or next year's first. Pulock as well. We need to reevaluate our young players under the coaching of Trotz, not go full Milbury and sell the farm to become a #8 seed. Trouba does nothing turning the Islanders into a contender.

Before JT left, it was "trade the farm to prove it to JT you want to win!" We didn't, and he left. Now it's "well, trade the farm anyway!"

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

So Pulock + for a rental? That's essentially what Trouba would be for the Isles. Maybe they can recoup a 2nd round pick + crap prospect for him when they need to trade him again when he chooses not to re-sign?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
So Pulock + for a rental? That's essentially what Trouba would be for the Isles. Maybe they can recoup a 2nd round pick + crap prospect for him when they need to trade him again when he chooses not to re-sign?

Any trade for Trouba you would have to assume there would be an extension or some sort of idea you can extend him in next 2 years

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Dealing Pulock + for Trouba is both short sighted and poor asset management for the Isles. I wonder what we'll get back for Trouba when we have to trade him after a year when he won't re-sign. Maybe it works out better than the Vanek fiasco went, but not by much.

Vanek was an impending UFA. Trouba has, what, 2 years of control left - plus could get the long-term contract this summer. This entire trade would revolve around the Islanders' willingness to offer him the big money he desires, which I would, and I'm sure Lou would if he is actually targeting him. Not sure that I see the risk here or the Vanek comp - that's a pretty big reach PW.

I know you want to tank and all but passing up the opportunity to add a legit top-pairing D who is 24 years old seems even more short-sighted. It'll surely hurt the Hughes efforts(and let's face it, even if we finish dead last you know as well as I do that we won't be winning the lotto) but will absolutely speed up this "retool".

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Any trade for Trouba you would have to assume there would be an extension or some sort of idea you can extend him in next 2 years

Assuming Trouba would re-sign with the Isles, a team he has zero ties to and have the worst arena situation in the league until Belmont happens (still years away) is a fool's errand.

The safer assumption is that he has no interest in re-signing and will test the market the first chance he gets.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Vanek was an impending UFA. Trouba has, what, 2 years of control left - plus could get the long-term contract this summer. This entire trade would revolve around the Islanders' willingness to offer him the big money he desires, which I would, and I'm sure Lou would if he is actually targeting him. Not sure that I see the risk here or the Vanek comp - that's a pretty big reach PW.

I know you want to tank and all but passing up the opportunity to add a legit top-pairing D who is 24 years old seems even more short-sighted. It'll surely hurt the Hughes efforts(and let's face it, even if we finish dead last you know as well as I do that we won't be winning the lotto) but will absolutely speed up this "retool".

This is not about tanking, it's just dumb asset management and delusional believing that Trouba would so gladly re-sign with the Isles. Did you not get enough when Pajamas walked for nothing? Let's be THAT team that not only lost a #1C, let's go full blown dumbass and lose a #1RD for nothing too.

Reactions: Jester9881

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad