Isles Prospect Talk 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
and the KHL's scoring is much more different. I'd wanna see golyshev here in a way because he actually can be a compliment on the wing and a good replacement on the bottom 6 as well
I'm happy to be convinced otherwise but merely saying that the KHL's scoring is different isn't a compelling argument.

Comparing apples to apples: 2 years ago at age 24 for the same KHL team he had 19 goals and 40 total points in 54 games.
This year at age 26, in 53 games he had 12 goals and 27 total points.

If anything, the stats line says he's regressing.

Reactions: FractionTwo

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
and the KHL's scoring is much more different. I'd wanna see golyshev here in a way because he actually can be a compliment on the wing and a good replacement on the bottom 6 as well

There are some things to consider in terms of Golyshev's potential signing.

On the negative side there are:

Health: Golyshev had been suffering from covid-related lung complications this season and I had an impression that he was a bit out of gas recently, so I'm not sure he is able to contribute properly this season. Add to that the upper-body injury he got in a recent playoff game.

Contract: as Golyshev himself stated, he should be able to get out of the contract after this season, and although I'm not aware of the details, but technically the season is over only on 30th of April. Add to that some time to do the paperworks, quarantine and getting some practice again and in that case he could play in NA only somewhere at the end of May.
On the positive side:

Interest: I had an impression judging by all the rumors that there is a mutual interest both from Golyshev and from the Isles management sides to sign this season, burn the ELC year and sign a inexpensive deal for the next season.

Potential: despite this season's modest numbers (which shouldn't be actually surprising due to the aforementioned reasons), in recent years he has shown that he can be very good and it's not like he has regressed or something (unless that covid complication will be career-impacting).

Tl;dr: I think the main issue here is Golyshev's health, but if there is enough interest from both sides I think the deal can still be done.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Health: Golyshev had been suffering from covid-related lung complications this season and I had an impression that he was a bit out of gas recently, so I'm not sure he is able to contribute properly this season. Add to that the upper-body injury he got in a recent playoff game.

Contract: as Golyshev himself stated, he should be able to get out of the contract after this season, and although I'm not aware of the details, but technically the season is over only on 30th of April. Add to that some time to do the paperworks, quarantine and getting some practice again and in that case he could play in NA only somewhere at the end of May.
On the positive side:

Interest: I had an impression judging by all the rumors that there is a mutual interest both from Golyshev and from the Isles management sides to sign this season, burn the ELC year and sign a inexpensive deal for the next season.

Potential: despite this season's modest numbers (which shouldn't be actually surprising due to the aforementioned reasons), in recent years he has shown that he can be very good and it's not like he has regressed or something (unless that covid complication will be career-impacting).

Tl;dr: I think the main issue here is Golyshev's health, but if there is enough interest from both sides I think the deal can still be done.
Thanks for the information, didn't realize he'd been affected by Covid, and that does mitigate my opinion of his regressed stats this season. Also, very interesting points on his health and the realities of his contract situation.

Am curious, as someone who I take it has watched him play more than most of us in here, assuming he recovers fully from Covid, what are your opinions on his NHL potential? And how well do you think he'd fit into a team with that plays a strict defensive game?

Reactions: Caser

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021

On the positive side:

Wow, that actually puts things into perspective because I actually never knew he had COVID related issues. As for him, I think that he might want to stay in russia but who knows. For me who wants to start getting more in touch with other leagues and better understanding them, people like you are a massive help

I still think he could be a good option on the island in terms of wingers, and he definitely is someone I wish can come along and help this team win a cup

Reactions: Caser

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Thanks for the information, didn't realize he'd been affected by Covid, and that does mitigate my opinion of his regressed stats this season. Also, very interesting points on his health and the realities of his contract situation.

Am curious, as someone who I take it has watched him play more than most of us in here, assuming he recovers fully from Covid, what are your opinions on his NHL potential? And how well do you think he'd fit into a team with that plays a strict defensive game?

If talking about stats, it is also good to remember that he doesn't play for some KHL powerhouse, for example this season Avtomobilist team was 15th out of 23 KHL teams at goals scored.

I think if he stays healthy and regains the form he had 2 years ago, I'd say he can be a solid offense generator for the middle-six. With that being said, he really needs to stay healthy, as he is picking up injuries a bit too often.

I'm not worried too much about the defensive game, as he is a mature and responsible player at this point of his career, not to mention that he plays under Bill Peters now. Also not worried about the size, as at 5'8" he weighs 187 lbs, which is real stocky.

Golyshev's KHL season is over.

If the plan is to come to NA, I don't believe Avtomobilist is going to have him hang around in Russia until April 30th just because...

The issue is that KHL rules can be real tricky and if the contract is just simply terminated at this point it might result in Avtomobilist losing Golyshev's KHL rights. So it pretty much depends on what kind of agreement Golyshev has with Avtomobilist, which we obviously don't know.

Another issue is the current injury: since he wasn't able to play in the recent decisive playoff games I'd assume it might be serious, which might be another reason to not hurry up the things too much.

Last edited:

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Also lol ishakov makes it a 5 point streak now, he scored for TPS again, this time shorthanded
excited-animated-gif.gif

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Wow, that actually puts things into perspective because I actually never knew he had COVID related issues. As for him, I think that he might want to stay in russia but who knows. For me who wants to start getting more in touch with other leagues and better understanding them, people like you are a massive help

I still think he could be a good option on the island in terms of wingers, and he definitely is someone I wish can come along and help this team win a cup

Just watched his interview on youtube (posted at 4th of March, so before he got injured and before Avtomobilist got kicked out of playoffs) and he told about the NHL "I want to go there, 100%, it's my dream, but I want to finish the season well here an then we will see how the situation will be developing, with the pandemics etc.".

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Just watched his interview on youtube (posted at 4th of March, so before he got injured and before Avtomobilist got kicked out of playoffs) and he told about the NHL "I want to go there, 100%, it's my dream, but I want to finish the season well here an then we will see how the situation will be developing, with the pandemics etc.".
not to mention, Russia is nice and all, but for a professional athlete, the chance to play for NHL money has to be enticing... he has a family after all.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
not to mention, Russia is nice and all, but for a professional athlete, the chance to play for NHL money has to be enticing... he has a family after all.

there have been great russians who don't want to come over, however, because of them having family and prefering russia. we shall see with what golyshev does anyways
good points, since I do remember Igor Eronko bringing that up in a tweet back in april or may last year, so who knows. Also it helps that the islanders are having a permanent home instead of shuffling between barclays and nassau every so often.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
there have been great russians who don't want to come over, however, because of them having family and prefering russia. we shall see with what golyshev does anyways

This goes both ways. You are of course correct, leaving friends and family is difficult, but the opportunity to live in an foreign country, and earn more money doing so, can be of great benefit to his family as well. If he is making significantly more money, he can help his family back home, and his immediate family gets the unique opportunity of growing up in America, likely becoming bilingual as a result (certainly a useful skill in todays increasingly globalized world). Not to mention there are certain... political... motivations for some people to want to leave Russia, but I honestly don't know enough about Goly to state whether that is something he cares about or no.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think the Christmas pics a few years back that Golyshev posted at Instagram with an Isles hat and his son decked out in Islanders paraphenalia kind of showed he's very open to coming to coming over... in addition to what Caser posted above.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

Currently he earns 950k USD in the KHL per season (without bonuses, those can be notable too) and with much lesser taxes you need to multiple it by two to get the NHL equivalent (in terms of after taxes money). I'm not sure he will get that kind of money very soon in the NHL.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
I think the Christmas pics a few years back that Golyshev posted at Instagram with an Isles hat and his son decked out in Islanders paraphenalia kind of showed he's very open to coming to coming over... in addition to what Caser posted above.
Is there an actual photo? I dont use insta so i kinda want to see it
This goes both ways. You are of course correct, leaving friends and family is difficult, but the opportunity to live in an foreign country, and earn more money doing so, can be of great benefit to his family as well. If he is making significantly more money, he can help his family back home, and his immediate family gets the unique opportunity of growing up in America, likely becoming bilingual as a result (certainly a useful skill in todays increasingly globalized world). Not to mention there are certain... political... motivations for some people to want to leave Russia, but I honestly don't know enough about Goly to state whether that is something he cares about or no.
To me, i think its positive seeing someone like him come over and be an islander, because this org was once seen as a stain on the league, is now different and one of the better ones. I hope this mends at least the relations between russia and the isles org, because the last russian that was massive here was yashin, and the way it ended was bad. Do i think sorokin and goly are on the same page as him? No. But i do see them as ways of healing the past

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
This also feels like a trade question, but if the isles were to make a deal, what prospect would you feel is "fine" to trade away? My guess is actually bode wilde, because he can be a very attractive defensive prospect for some teams to look into

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Currently he earns 950k USD in the KHL per season (without bonuses, those can be notable too) and with much lesser taxes you need to multiple it by two to get the NHL equivalent (in terms of after taxes money). I'm not sure he will get that kind of money very soon in the NHL.
I mean lets be real. that isn't very much. that is the entry level for NHL players... even 4th liners can command 2 mil on some teams (looking at you islanders)

Reactions: FractionTwo

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
I mean lets be real. that isn't very much. that is the entry level for NHL players... even 4th liners can command 2 mil on some teams (looking at you islanders)
To be fair, a lot of 4th liners get paid also by other orgs, we aren't the first one giving out 3M for a center in cizikas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad