Isles Prospect Talk 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
@xECK29x

I know there is nothing here, but just wanted to get the template started, Lou hinted there will be more loans to Europe so we will see how this grows.

+ = on IR or just hurt

CHL - Canadian Major Juniors

PLAYERPOSACQUIREDHFB RANKTEAMGPGAPTSPIM+/-
Samuel BoldocD2019 round 2 #5710Sherbrooke Phoenix000000
Blade JenkinsLW/C2018 round 5 #13414Saginaw Spirit000000
Reece NewkirkC2019 round 5 #147NRPortland Winterhawks000000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Europe

PLAYERPOSACQUIREDHFB RANKTEAMGPGAPTSPIM+/-
Oliver WahlstromRW/LW2018 round 1 #113AIK / HockeyAllsvenskan000000
Simon HolmstromRW2019 round 1 #238HC Vita Hasten / HockeyAllsvenskan000000
Ruslan IskhakovC/RW2018 round 2 #439TPS / Liiga000000
Robin SaloD2017 round 2 #4620Orebro HK / SHL000000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY
In the last 2 years I have not followed our prospects as closely. The combination of life being busier and the Islanders actually being run like a professional organization has distracted my focus. I'd almost forgotten entirely about Robin Salo. I thought of him as a bit of a project, but I liked the pick in 2017.

Is there any chance he ever comes over to the states and becomes a viable option on the blue line? He is still only 21 y/o.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It'll build his confidence back up but will it create bad habits or expectations? He just waltz around that guy and didn't have a finger put on him. That's not happening in the NHL or AHL. I know he's aware of that but still.
He'll adapt back to the speed and smaller spaces of North American hockey once he gets back here.

But as I keep saying, you can't teach mitts like his.

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY
It'll build his confidence back up but will it create bad habits or expectations? He just waltz around that guy and didn't have a finger put on him. That's not happening in the NHL or AHL. I know he's aware of that but still.

As fans, I think all we can do is hope that the kid has a proper head on his shoulders, along with the right people in his ear, balancing confidence and over-confidence. His performance overseas is a positive thus far, but it only actually means something if it translates positively upon his return.

I think Wally had to be humbled somewhat last year, along with his brief college experience. If he continues to succeed in Europe, we'll see if he has the internal mettle and smarts necessary for growth at an NHL level, next year.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

This is what makes scouting tough, you have to evaluate plays like this and factor in if he could get away with doing this in NA? The answer is very likely no, that was soft defensive play, but the shot was elite, top corner no look cross side.

Reactions: MJF

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This is what makes scouting tough, you have to evaluate plays like this and factor in if he could get away with doing this in NA? The answer is very likely no, that was soft defensive play, but the shot was elite, top corner no look cross side.

And is Wahlstrom making that move because he knows he can beat the defender that way. There is something to be said for understanding your competition and then taking advantage of them and if that's what he's doing, but he wouldn't do that move against everyone, that's a good sign.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Wahlstrom sniping and scoring goals can only be positive, that's what makes him special. He got a taste of the NHL this past season and he was throwing the body. It was clear he was very focused on the things he needs to do to play for Trotz.

I think he can use this SHL stint as a springboard for a roster spot for next season. I still have high hopes for him. I think we will see a Dobson-esque rookie season for Ollie where he'll look legit by the end of the season. It's a process and I trust Trotz to mold him right.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Wahlstrom sniping and scoring goals can only be positive, that's what makes him special. He got a taste of the NHL this past season and he was throwing the body. It was clear he was very focused on the things he needs to do to play for Trotz.

I think he can use this SHL stint as a springboard for a roster spot for next season. I still have high hopes for him. I think we will see a Dobson-esque rookie season for Ollie where he'll look legit by the end of the season. It's a process and I trust Trotz to mold him right.
A stay in a place like Sweden will serve to remind Wahlstrom that he can snipe. He knows it, Lou Lamoriello knows it too. Lou said last year words to the effect of "we know he can always score, he needs to learn the rest of the NHL game". That's what he concentrated on when he was sent to Bridgeport last November.

This can help Wahlstrom's confidence make a giant leap when he comes back to the Islanders in November. Sweden will serve as a reminder that "Yes I can score. The goals didn't leave my stick and they'll still be there when I get a scoring chance". Very important for a young player to have confidence and not get down on himself while he's not scoring goals.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Ishakov scored the opening goal of the season for TPS today, also had an assist in the 3-2 loss in the season opener.

Ouxi Ouxi indeed, or whatever that was lol, I love Finnish it’s such a wacky language compared to English. Nice goal too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad