Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2019-20 | Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Why exactly are people thinking Thompson is doing a bad job in Bridgeport?

It seems that every player that has come up to the big club has fit in nicely into Trotz’ system. If it is strictly based on win-loss record, I would argue that is not the most important thing we should be worried about at the AHL level.

Take a look at the top prospects and their performance. All of them except for Kieffer Bellows appear to be thriving. Bellows is only 21 and may still need to adjust to the mans game. He was struggling at the NCAA level, appeared to dominate the juniors for a season and now is not delivering the production expected of him. Not sure we can just pin that on the coach if others including Wahlstrom, Holmstrom and Koivula show to be thriving.

Maybe a new AHL coach is on his list to improve, but there is no way of telling in my opinion and nothing egregious stands out as a red flag.
You may be looking at this as a glass half full, you could look at it that if they had the right coach they would be first or 2nd liners but instead they are 3rd and 4th. If they are being developed properly then they would be doing thing right and that would in turn turn into wins but that’s not the case. Winning breeds a culture , a standard to expect anything less you are a complacent and most probably ok with losing. Our true potential stars right now in Barzal and Beau didn’t really spend a lot of time if any in the AHL

They need to fix the sound tigers to allow for players to reach their potential while providing a winning atmosphere

Reactions: BelovedIsles

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I liked Otto’s first game; has a poor man’s Barkov (stylistically) feel. Though didn’t play much. Liked his enthusiasm in post-interviews.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
You may be looking at this as a glass half full, you could look at it that if they had the right coach they would be first or 2nd liners but instead they are 3rd and 4th. If they are being developed properly then they would be doing thing right and that would in turn turn into wins but that’s not the case. Winning breeds a culture , a standard to expect anything less you are a complacent and most probably ok with losing. Our true potential stars right now in Barzal and Beau didn’t really spend a lot of time if any in the AHL

They need to fix the sound tigers to allow for players to reach their potential while providing a winning atmosphere

hmmm so you are speculating that another coach could turn Dal Colle or Ho Sang into first or second liners and it is Thompson’s fault that they are not?
I won’t comment on Kieffer Bellows just yet as I think he is still a project that can go many ways.

I cannot agree with you saying Thompson’s coaching is in effect ruining some of our prospects.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
hmmm so you are speculating that another coach could turn Dal Colle or Ho Sang into first or second liners and it is Thompson’s fault that they are not?
I won’t comment on Kieffer Bellows just yet as I think he is still a project that can go many ways.

I cannot agree with you saying Thompson’s coaching is in effect ruining some of our prospects.
With our so called stacked system, we should be winning more at Bridgeport and we are not. Is it the coaches fault , don’t really know but I can tell you the coach on the Isles main team is the reason they are winning

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
With our so called stacked system, we should be winning more at Bridgeport and we are not. Is it the coaches fault , don’t really know but I can tell you the coach on the Isles main team is the reason they are winning

I would say that the better players in this stacked system have played nearly as much for the Islanders as the Soundtigers so far this season.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
I guess the main point is a good coach makes a huge difference, the Isles are proof that a team at the bottom with some talent can be a team at the top. If you are suggesting the sound Tigers have none then that explains the bottom dwelling team but if they have some it’s on the coaching staff

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I guess the main point is a good coach makes a huge difference, the Isles are proof that a team at the bottom with some talent can be a team at the top. If you are suggesting the sound Tigers have none then that explains the bottom dwelling team but if they have some it’s on the coaching staff

As someone who takes the ferry a handful of times per year to watch the Soundtigers, I can tell you that there is a clear lack of talent on these teams. That and they don't really appear to play an offensive style. I'm sure Trotz has them trying to implement his style of game so that these kids are ready to step in when needed, but THAT coupled with the lack of a true high-end playmaker has most likely hurt everyone's offensive production.

I honestly could care less about how these kids produce in the A as long as they're contributing on the Island once they make the jump. I will say though that it wouldn't hurt to bring in a handful of AHL vets to help bring these kids along and put them in a position to produce, but overall it's hard to complain about anything related to the organization as long as the big club is winning games.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
don't worry were gonna re sign Greiss,stash him in the Bridge,just in case.....lols

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
He's still firmly on track to be a bust.

Same goes for Ishakov.

They're not lost causes but an NHL career is likely not in the cards for either of them.

How are either of these guys “busts”? Ish has to finish school and see what he can do in the AHL, Salo we will see if he comes over. They aren’t busts until they are here or never come.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
He's still firmly on track to be a bust.

Same goes for Ishakov.

They're not lost causes but an NHL career is likely not in the cards for either of them.

How are either of these guys “busts”? Ish has to finish school and see what he can do in the AHL, Salo we will see if he comes over. They aren’t busts until they are here or never come.

"On track" to be a bust was the quote.

I stand by the post but I hope I'm wrong.

What successful Isles prospect, past or present, has shown no progression in performance by year 2 or 3 post-draft?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I agree, but then again I'm still hopeful that Hector Marini can make it.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Many people starting calling Wally a bust after his first year in college. Ridiculous statement but that is hf for you. As far as Ishakov he had better stats then Wally as a freshman and his stats this year are ok. Way to early to start calling any of these kids busts.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
If a European player decides against leaving his country and coming over to North America and play in the NHL is he considered a bust? Salo, Golyshev, and maybe/maybe not Sorokin are all doing well overseas. They make good money and are probably very comfortable playing at or near home living in their culture and speaking their native language. It can be a crap shoot drafting a European player not knowing if they will come over, but I don't consider it a bust.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If a European player decides against leaving his country and coming over to North America and play in the NHL is he considered a bust? Salo, Golyshev, and maybe/maybe not Sorokin are all doing well overseas. They make good money and are probably very comfortable playing at or near home living in their culture and speaking their native language. It can be a crap shoot drafting a European player not knowing if they will come over, but I don't consider it a bust.

It's certainly a waste of a pick, but a bust probably isn't the right term but will be used as an equivalent.

Reactions: xECK29x

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Many people starting calling Wally a bust after his first year in college. Ridiculous statement but that is hf for you. As far as Ishakov he had better stats then Wally as a freshman and his stats this year are ok. Way to early to start calling any of these kids busts.

I expected Wally to come up in the conversation but his situation was unique.

He was in a top tier stacked program with talented older players above him in the hierarchy. If he had chosen to stay, I suspect he'd have been successful. Thankfully, he bolted.

Salo and Ish are already past their first year yet have shown no substantial growth in less competitive environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad