Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2019-20 | Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
And do we think that Thompson & Co in Bridgeport are going to be the ones to teach it to him...?

Absolutely not.

giphy.gif

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007

Well, who should develop him Thompson WTF!? We need a teacher and great development type of coach down there in the mold of a Barry Trotz! Please get Thompson off that team down there, he ruins players...

Last edited:

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
+ = on IR or just hurt

NHL - New York Islanders

PLAYERPOSACQUIREDHFB RANKGPGAPTSPIM+/-
Noah DobsonD2018 round 1 #121602201
Oliver WahlstromRW/LW2018 round 1 #11390004-2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

AHL - Bridgeport Sound Tigers

Kieffer BellowsLW/C2016 round 1 #1951512313-11
Simon HolmstromRW2019 round 1 #238152130-6
Otto KoivulaC/LW/RW2016 round 4 #1206102354-8
+ Bode WildeD2018 round 2 #414000000
+ Mitchell Vande SompelD2015 round 3 #8213000000
Parker WotherspoonD2015 round 4 #112HM150448-9
+ Robert CarpenterLW/CUFA SigningNR000000
Sebastian AhoD2017 round 5 #1397152574-10
* Oliver WahlstromRW/LW2018 round 1 #113622411-5
+ Grant HuttonDUFA SigningHM91014-2
Mason JobstLW/CUFA SigningNR1102215-3
David QuennevilleD2016 rnd 7 #200NR81344-5
Arnaud DurandeauLW/C2017 round 6 #165HM51124-2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ECHL - Worcester Railers

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

CHL - Canadian Major Juniors

PLAYERPOSACQUIREDHFB RANKTEAMGPGAPTSPIM+/-
Samuel BolducD2019 round 2 #5710Blainville-Boisbriand1916710-2
Blade JenkinsLW/C2018 round 5 #13414Saginaw Spirit196111764
Cole CoskeyRW2019 round 7 #209NRSaginaw Spirit1912142622
Felix BibeauC2019 round 6 #178NRQuebec Remparts20131326266
Reece NewkirkC2019 round 5 #147NRPortland Winterhawks1751419184
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

NCAA

Ruslan IskhakovC/RW2018 round 2 #439Univ. of Connecticut823520
Nick PastujovLW2016 round 7 #193NRUniv. of Michigan1031461
Collin AdamsLW2016 round 6 #170NRUniv. of North Dakota9448413
+? Logan CockerillLW2017 round 7 #201NRBoston Univ.310100
Benjamin MirageasD2017 round 3 #77NRProvidence College1003348
Christian KrygierD2018 round 7 #196NRMichigan State Univ.8011141
Jacob PivonkaC2018 round 4 #103NRUniv. of Notre Dame833669
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Europe

+? Robin SaloD2017 round 2 #4620SaiPa (Liiga)1926810-6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Goalies

PLAYERACQUIREDHFB RANKTEAMGPGAASV%SO
Ilya Sorokin2014 round 3 #782CSKA Moskva (KHL)151.24.9484
Linus Söderström2014 round 4 #9511Bridgeport Sound Tigers (AHL)0000
* Worcester Railers (ECHL)44.49.8700
Jakub Skarek2018 round 3 #7212Worcester Railers (ECHL)21.42.9410
* Bridgeport Sound Tigers (AHL)43.06.9000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It just occurred to me...

Does anyone else think that the reason why there have been so many changes with the Isles, but basically none with the Sound Tigers is because...

Their GM is Chris Lamoriello?

Like maybe his dad doesn't want to step on his son's toes and tell him how to run things down there? Because I don't see how Lou could possibly be ok with Brent Thompson as a coach in charge of developing their young players. Something must be stopping him from removing Thompson and considering how mountains were moved to get rid of snow, getting rid of Thompson should be easy...And I cannot think of another thing that would stop that from happening other than possibly "family."

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

Does anyone else think that the reason why there have been so many changes with the Isles, but basically none with the Sound Tigers is because...

Like maybe his dad doesn't want to step on his son's toes and tell him how to run things down there? Because I don't see how Lou could possibly be ok with Brent Thompson as a coach in charge of developing their young players. Something must be stopping him from removing Thompson and considering how mountains were moved to get rid of snow, getting rid of Thompson should be easy...And I cannot think of another thing that would stop that from happening other than possibly "family."

I. D.o.n.t think so. If Lou thought firing Thompson was the move I doubt he wouldn’t suggest it to his son, who I would assume would listen

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I believe I asked this once. Can’t remember if there was ever an answer... But, are AHL coaches commonly let go in-season?

I don’t ever recall it happening in the Isles organization. Unless the AHL coach is brought up to the NHL.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Not at all.

I think there were no changes last year because it was common knowledge that Wang didn't spend money on the Sound Tigers roster the last 6 years and it was unfair to judge Thompson on a roster that couldn't compete. When Malkin spent money on AHL veterans for the Tigers last year they made the playoffs. That's why Thompson was retained for this year.

This summer the Sound Tigers added veteran AHL coach Ken Gernander to the staff. So I have to think with him looking down from the press box there is the possibility of a coaching change if the Tigers keep losing.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Holmstrom has 3 goals in his last 6 games. Seems to be turning it on.

Whalstrom with 5 pts in 7 games in the AHL. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him take off.

I expect Oli to be a 1.5/PPG this year. Kid probably is ready for the NHL now but BT/staff want him fully NHL ready before being given a shot in the top 6. He got some NHL time to learn the basics on the neutral & defensive zones, now he will further enhance that but given more O zone opportunities to put up some stats.

Reactions: Rengi

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I expect Oli to be a 1.5/PPG this year. Kid probably is ready for the NHL now but BT/staff want him fully NHL ready before being given a shot in the top 6. He got some NHL time to learn the basics on the neutral & defensive zones, now he will further enhance that but given more O zone opportunities to put up some stats.

1.5PPG is not happening, I'll take PPG or close to it.

Russia vs. OHL on NHLN right now.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
I believe I asked this once. Can’t remember if there was ever an answer... But, are AHL coaches commonly let go in-season?

I don’t ever recall it happening in the Isles organization. Unless the AHL coach is brought up to the NHL.
You'll have to scramble to get a replacement in now ,wouldn't you? Not ideal timing IMHO,whose available that's good?.....right this minute.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Like maybe his dad doesn't want to step on his son's toes and tell him how to run things down there?

Interesting take, but I'm thinking Chris is more of a "Sir, yes sir" type.

And I can't imagine his work with the Sound Tigers is in any way being conducted so as to rebel or show up his father, if that in any way was being insinuated.

The team acquired A LOT of pieces this summer. Many kids were added as well. As another poster mentioned, the very AHL-successful Gernander was added to the staff.

Bridgeport's camp had 12 Dmen and 22 forwards, roughly 90% of which had some form of AHL pedigree. Bernier, McDonald, Helgeson, Bourque, Lorito, and Coreau bring gobs of pro experience. Each of Gibson, Aho, Burroughs, Wotherspoon, Vande Sompel, Fritz, St. Denis, Bardreau, and Thomson have 2-5 years of full-time AHL service under their belt. Schilkey had 37 points as an AHL rookie last season. Our own picks/signees Wahlstrom, Koivula, Bellows, Jobst, Carpenter, Durandeau, Hutton, and Wilde were deemed ready to spearhead the attack. Then there are guys like Kubiak, Stevens, and somewhat unexpectedly Holmstrom hanging around. Then Hickey showed up in the equation as well. Now Ladd.

Because I don't see how Lou could possibly be ok with Brent Thompson as a coach in charge of developing their young players. Something must be stopping him from removing Thompson and considering how mountains were moved to get rid of snow, getting rid of Thompson should be easy...And I cannot think of another thing that would stop that from happening other than possibly "family."

I don't know why I feel inclined to defend Thompson a bit, but I do. I don't think management looks at this team's performance and thinks "That coach is the problem". They know him better and the organization has concrete info on how he's performed in being a developmental coach for this franchise as well as what he's doing with the boys.

Thompson was a defenseman himself, and each of Mayfield, Pelech, and Toews spent plenty of time working with him. Sure, we're all wondering if he can properly further develop offensive talent, but I look at a kid like Dal Colle and can't for one second think that "Thompson didn't develop him properly". Anybody with an ounce of understanding sees that Dal Colle has no choice but to remodel himself as a forechecker who makes his way to the net and has the puck on his stick as little as possible. He otherwise is not quick or smart enough to play the NHL game. Every time he's got that damn thing on his stick for more than 3 seconds, we've got problems. But he rarely even finds himself with the puck that long anyway, because he hardly has the skating to acquire it on his own. He simply doesn't have the skill set to play NHL hockey in a productive offensive capacity. He could suit up for the Isles for the rest of the season and I don't see him getting more than 10 points when all is said and done.

And that might be exactly the case for Bellows as well, who isn't even doing what Dal Colle did in the AHL.

Which brings me to my list of challenges for Thompson thus far this season:
- Eansor and Hitchcock have "retired", and done so at a time where both the Isles and the Sound Tigers have waves of injuries
- Hickey got his bell rung in Game 1, played a few more, has since missed the rest of the season thus far (although I think he suited up yesterday)
- Fritz and Bernier have missed more than 60% of the season thus far
- Vande Sompel, Carpenter, and Wilde have missed the entire season
- Ho-Sang is a complete non-factor
- Wahlstrom and Bardreau have spent the majority of the season on the Island
- It has certainly been an unorthodox move to have the 18-year old Holmstrom playing in BPort
- Many viewers have described their play as sloppy, but if these guys have even made it to this level, shouldn't all the basics with respect to passing, shooting, etc. already be fully possessed by the players?

That said, I think the organization has to ask itself what Thompson's role is in the following:
- Jobst and Hutton, with just 3 points between the two of them, have been complete disappointments as older college additions who both looked very promising in the NHL preseason
- Lorito, Koivula, Aho, and Quenneville lead the way offensively with .5 PPG (well, Wahlstrom has 5 pts in 7 gms)
- Bellows has just 3 points and is a -11 in 16 games
- McDonald, Bourque, Bardreau, Fritz, St. Denis, Hickey, Wotherspoon, and Burroughs have COMBINED for just 14 total points in 92 total games played. YIKES!!!
- Is the lack of scoring on the team a question of systems? If so, is the team trying to use the same system Trotz does?

It looks like a lot of failure is going on, but an organization that prides itself on "culture" and "continuity" has seen a huge hit taken in that department through all the missing players and guys who have downright turned out to be less than expected.

I think the Lamoriellos will be analyzing what's going on and how much it effects the young guys they're investing in. I don't think they'll ax Thompson in-season, not in light of the challenges I listed above and not until they're very certain that he's doing things that are NEGATIVE for player development. Ultimately, these guys appear to be getting playing time in all situations, even if just by default.

Reactions: PWJunior

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Interesting take, but I'm thinking Chris is more of a "Sir, yes sir" type.

And I can't imagine his work with the Sound Tigers is in any way being conducted so as to rebel or show up his father, if that in any way was being insinuated.

The team acquired A LOT of pieces this summer. Many kids were added as well. As another poster mentioned, the very AHL-successful Gernander was added to the staff.

Bridgeport's camp had 12 Dmen and 22 forwards, roughly 90% of which had some form of AHL pedigree. Bernier, McDonald, Helgeson, Bourque, Lorito, and Coreau bring gobs of pro experience. Each of Gibson, Aho, Burroughs, Wotherspoon, Vande Sompel, Fritz, St. Denis, Bardreau, and Thomson have 2-5 years of full-time AHL service under their belt. Schilkey had 37 points as an AHL rookie last season. Our own picks/signees Wahlstrom, Koivula, Bellows, Jobst, Carpenter, Durandeau, Hutton, and Wilde were deemed ready to spearhead the attack. Then there are guys like Kubiak, Stevens, and somewhat unexpectedly Holmstrom hanging around. Then Hickey showed up in the equation as well. Now Ladd.

I don't know why I feel inclined to defend Thompson a bit, but I do. I don't think management looks at this team's performance and thinks "That coach is the problem". They know him better and the organization has concrete info on how he's performed in being a developmental coach for this franchise as well as what he's doing with the boys.

Thompson was a defenseman himself, and each of Mayfield, Pelech, and Toews spent plenty of time working with him. Sure, we're all wondering if he can properly further develop offensive talent, but I look at a kid like Dal Colle and can't for one second think that "Thompson didn't develop him properly". Anybody with an ounce of understanding sees that Dal Colle has no choice but to remodel himself as a forechecker who makes his way to the net and has the puck on his stick as little as possible. He otherwise is not quick or smart enough to play the NHL game. Every time he's got that damn thing on his stick for more than 3 seconds, we've got problems. But he rarely even finds himself with the puck that long anyway, because he hardly has the skating to acquire it on his own. He simply doesn't have the skill set to play NHL hockey in a productive offensive capacity. He could suit up for the Isles for the rest of the season and I don't see him getting more than 10 points when all is said and done.

And that might be exactly the case for Bellows as well, who isn't even doing what Dal Colle did in the AHL.

Which brings me to my list of challenges for Thompson thus far this season:
- Eansor and Hitchcock have "retired", and done so at a time where both the Isles and the Sound Tigers have waves of injuries
- Hickey got his bell rung in Game 1, played a few more, has since missed the rest of the season thus far (although I think he suited up yesterday)
- Fritz and Bernier have missed more than 60% of the season thus far
- Vande Sompel, Carpenter, and Wilde have missed the entire season
- Ho-Sang is a complete non-factor
- Wahlstrom and Bardreau have spent the majority of the season on the Island
- It has certainly been an unorthodox move to have the 18-year old Holmstrom playing in BPort
- Many viewers have described their play as sloppy, but if these guys have even made it to this level, shouldn't all the basics with respect to passing, shooting, etc. already be fully possessed by the players?

That said, I think the organization has to ask itself what Thompson's role is in the following:
- Jobst and Hutton, with just 3 points between the two of them, have been complete disappointments as older college additions who both looked very promising in the NHL preseason
- Lorito, Koivula, Aho, and Quenneville lead the way offensively with .5 PPG (well, Wahlstrom has 5 pts in 7 gms)
- Bellows has just 3 points and is a -11 in 16 games
- McDonald, Bourque, Bardreau, Fritz, St. Denis, Hickey, Wotherspoon, and Burroughs have COMBINED for just 14 total points in 92 total games played. YIKES!!!
- Is the lack of scoring on the team a question of systems? If so, is the team trying to use the same system Trotz does?

It looks like a lot of failure is going on, but an organization that prides itself on "culture" and "continuity" has seen a huge hit taken in that department through all the missing players and guys who have downright turned out to be less than expected.

I think the Lamoriellos will be analyzing what's going on and how much it effects the young guys they're investing in. I don't think they'll ax Thompson in-season, not in light of the challenges I listed above and not until they're very certain that he's doing things that are NEGATIVE for player development. Ultimately, these guys appear to be getting playing time in all situations, even if just by default.
It's fair to note that Hutton has been hurt and is going on his 3rd week of missing practices. Fritz, Bernier, Vande Sompel and Hickey also continue to be sidelined and are nowhere in sight for a return to action.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Is Hickey out from the monster hit he took (even though he came back for a game or two) or was it something else after?

RangerFan23

Jul 28, 2010
For those interested in seeing Logan Cockerill and Misha Song play, Cornell plays BU at MSG on 11/30.

Cheap tickets available:
StubHub!

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Wow. Poor bastard.
I feel bad for Hickey. I hope he gets back healthy and gets his shot back in the big league sometime soon. Ideally with someone else via trade. (and I realize that he's getting paid big bucks so there are obviously other people more worthy of my sympathy - just wanted to preempt that line of thought).

Reactions: MJF

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wow. Poor bastard.

Yeah, tough break for Hickey. I've never been a fan of his, but he doesn't deserve this. I hope he gets healthy and they staple Bode Wilde to his hip to be his veteran mentor and defense partner. This season has been a bust so far for him, but I hope he can finish strongly and possibly draw some interest in the off season. He's clearly an NHLer, someone could use him and he'll have 2 years on his contract.

When Wilde finally makes it into the lineup, the Isles could have 3 19-year olds and Holmstrom in the AHL. I don't know, but that's seems like A LOT of teenagers for the AHL. Dobson is with the Isles, but he would probably be there too if not for the CHL rules. Wahlstrom, Wilde, Skarek, and Holmstrom is essentially our top prospects as well. Bridgeport has been ravaged by injuries, they could improve dramatically when they get some players back.

Reactions: SI90 and MJF

scott99

May 13, 2005
Holmstrom has 3 goals in his last 6 games. Seems to be turning it on.

Whalstrom with 5 pts in 7 games in the AHL. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him take off.
Like seeing Wahlstrom & Holmstrom on the uptick, Bellows on the other hand is a HUGE disappointment.

Reactions: dood and SI90

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Fully expected. Other than an elite shot, I never saw anything that made me think, "This is a player talented enough to be in the NHL."

I mean when you can't beat out Michael Dal Colle to the big show...

And we (and many other teams) passed on Debrincat because he was too small. How good would he look on Barzal's wing and on the left hash on the PP? Now, to be fair, outside of Debrincat and Bratt (6th round) NO ONE has made an impact on offense who was drafted after Bellows.

That draft is looking pretty dreadful right now beyond the top 16.

Reactions: periferal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad