Rumor: Isles and Sens discussed Duchene to LI trade

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
If the Senators make a decent offer to duchene he will most likely sign. If they can get a decent return for EK and sign duchene they could be competitive within the next couple of years.

1. Trade EK for prospect plus immediate help.(dump ryans conract)
2. Sign duchene to a decent contract.
3. ?
4. Playoffs

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Thread title should be changed because it’s not even in the least bit accurate.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
How do you know its not accurate? You probably had multiple teams kick the tires on numerous Senator players. That's what GM's do in the offseason. The title literally has the rumor tag.

Kicked tires sure but it wasn’t much of a discussion. Title is misleading. The fact that this “rumour” gained zero traction and came from Jimmy Murphy is all I need to know about it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If the Senators make a decent offer to duchene he will most likely sign. If they can get a decent return for EK and sign duchene they could be competitive within the next couple of years.

1. Trade EK for prospect plus immediate help.(dump ryans conract)
2. Sign duchene to a decent contract.
3. ?
4. Playoffs
3. Draft really well for 4 years and wait another 2 for it to mature.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Cant see Ottawa moving him,after what we paid for him there was likely talk of an extension in place well beforehand...He will resign in Ottawa

Ottawa has gotten and are getting considerably worse since Duchene arrived. Lose Hoffman, losing Karlsson, and management is spending bare minimum money, what reason is there to resign in Ottawa, when he will get similar money anywhere else.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Lou has to make some type of move besides signing crappy free agents.
Those crappy free agents were signed to bolster the worst PK in the league.
Isles required Martin for the leadership/locker room.
Isles are not filling all their roster holes in one offseason. Isles were in on ROR and are now kicking the tires on Duchene. I would rather slide Bailey back to the #2C position then badly overpay for Duchens 55-60 pts.

The 2019 draft is deep at center and the 2019 ufa class is reportedly a strong one.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Kicked tires sure but it wasn’t much of a discussion. Title is misleading. The fact that this “rumour” gained zero traction and came from Jimmy Murphy is all I need to know about it.

Honestly, right now we’re at a point where every GM appears to be stuck in a bit of a holding pattern and so much fake news and speculation - particularly regarding Ottawa - is all over this website.

Most of the “rumors” on here at this point are really just speculation from guys with blue check marks that get blown out of proportion on page 1 of one these threads. By page 10 of the same thread, these same rumors are considered just as valid as the laws of physics. Here’s an example:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/101532166636324044

Pagnotta proved himself on July 1st without question, but right here, he is obviously no more “connected inside” than you and I. He is just trying to say something about Karlsson for the sake of reporting and looking like he knows something, but he said absolutely nothing in that tweet. That’s what most insiders here are doing at this stage in the Karlsson negotiations.

It feels like, despite the constant barrage of “leaks” on the Karlsson situation, the real details of the situation have been kept very quiet and secretive.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
100% was. A cancer in the locker room for requesting a trade and giving a half-assed effort every night because he wasnt happy. MacKinnon was in his shadow and took the leadership role and ran with it once he was gone. Pure points and the name on the back of the jersey is not everything on a team.

Im rooting for anything that makes the Senators worse for 2019. Get it done!
That is pretty low of you. Classless is what that is.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Those crappy free agents were signed to bolster the worst PK in the league.
Isles required Martin for the leadership/locker room.
Isles are not filling all their roster holes in one offseason. Isles were in on ROR and are now kicking the tires on Duchene. I would rather slide Bailey back to the #2C position then badly overpay for Duchens 55-60 pts.

The 2019 draft is deep at center and the 2019 ufa class is reportedly a strong one.
Isles won't get any of those free agents next year if they dont make a trade for a 1b center or top 4 defensive dman

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
He doesn't have to be signed for a year so just bet on barzal outplaying him

safe bet considering duchene hasnt hit 60pts in the last 4 years lol. He has 97pts less than Tavares over that time frame
and they would have to PAY A LOT to get him considering Ottawa lost what will be a top 5 pick ++

I dont see him as a 1C, but a high end 2C on a good team

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No see, that's the thing. A lot of people (myself included) were extremely high on Barzal from the moment Gary Bettman announced Edmonton had made a trade at the draft.

You, and fellow Avs fans, didn't want to listen when we told you Barzal was untouchable. You all said he'd be mediocre, nothing special, and now want to push a narrative that "nobody" expected him to be much better than that.

I don’t understand what the issue here is. We didn’t get Barzal, but you guys didn’t get Duchene either. So Avs fans weren’t necessarily wrong when saying it would take Barzal. In retrospect, that was an extremely steep demand, but so was the huge package we ended up getting from the Sens. We weren’t wrong that we as extremely valuable.

If you guys are able to pry him from Dorion at a fraction of the cost the Avs were asking, great. But you won’t have beaten us. You’ll have beaten the Sens.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Holy christ with this level of homerism.

Barzal is far better than every asset the Avs received for Duchene. Nevermind adding Pulock, Sorokin, and the unprotected 2019 1st.

Let me know when Shane Bowers has an 85-point rookie season Randy.

There is no point to bash AVs fans, just compare the Sens vs NYI offers

Sens 1st = Barzal (Depends on the Pick Selection)
Girard > Pulock
Bowers=NYI 1st (2019)
Hammond<Sorokin (Assumes Sorokin leaves Russia)
Kamenev> 0
Annunen + Zhuravlyov (NSH 2nd traded) > 0
Sens 3rd > 0

AVs not only had a slightly better return in the four head to head matchups, but the NYI have no comparables with the later half of the deal. If the Sens pick results in a Top 5 selection and any of the bottom players develop, this would be a lopsided win by the AVs for being rejected by the NYI.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
I don’t understand what the issue here is. We didn’t get Barzal, but you guys didn’t get Duchene either. So Avs fans weren’t necessarily wrong when saying it would take Barzal. In retrospect, that was an extremely steep demand, but so was the huge package we ended up getting from the Sens. We weren’t wrong that we as extremely valuable.

If you guys are able to pry him from Dorion at a fraction of the cost the Avs were asking, great. But you won’t have beaten us. You’ll have beaten the Sens.
Nope, there was no way duch be was fetching more than hamonic, a bust, and a first, just ask most of the isles fans in this thread, and Garth snow when he went on a Twitter tantrum about it

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Isles won't get any of those free agents next year if they dont make a trade for a 1b center or top 4 defensive dman
I disagree that the isles need a 1b center.
Barzal is coming off an 85 pt season and will slide into that top line center spot.

And we are told that Lou continues to shop for a top 4D.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Girard didn't have 1st PP time either so there goes your argument. Barrie did.

Only a couple years older...that's a disservice to the actual facts. Pulock was 23 when the season started. Girard didn't even turn 20 until May of this year.

At nearly 4 years older and more pro time under his belt, I expect Pulock to have a good rookie season.

Girard was an incredible get and I absolutely prefer him to Pulock. Girard is a better player at 20 than Pulock was at 20. Be mad all you want but it's not an unfair assessment to make that Girard projects to be better at 24 than Pulock does to be at 24.

You just completely ignored my point... first of all using actual age as opposed to draft years is always grasping at straws. Secondly, you completely ignored my points. To project to be “much better” than Ryan pulock, you’d have to expect Girard to turn into a 55-60 point two way dman. Do you actually feel that’s possible?

I’m not even arguing that pulock is better...

Last edited:

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
I disagree that the isles need a 1b center.
Barzal is coming off an 85 pt season and will slide into that top line center spot.

And we are told that Lou continues to shop for a top 4D.
yes Barzal is a top line center but Nelson is far from a 2nd line center on a contending team and if the isles top 6 are going to be high scoring dominant offensively and bottom 6 is going to be borderline overly physical Nelson is by far the weakest link

I think pelech takes a very big step forward under Barry trotz to be a top 4 dman

Reactions: dood and Riseonfire

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
oof. Someone said Barzal is roughly equal to the Sens 1st round pick.....

Guys i know its summer but come on. :laugh:

It has the potential to be. I know Barzal had a stud rookie season, but I would have a REALLY tough time arguing that Jack Hughes wouldn't be up to the task as well.

With the fire-sale going on in Ottawa and the massive jump a couple of the Atlantic teams are making? I'm not ruling out this being a top 3 pick.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
It has the potential to be. I know Barzal had a stud rookie season, but I would have a REALLY tough time arguing that Jack Hughes wouldn't be up to the task as well.

With the fire-sale going on in Ottawa and the massive jump a couple of the Atlantic teams are making? I'm not ruling out this being a top 3 pick.

But the odds are so against having the #1 pick EVEN when being the worst team. Yeah Hughes is amazing and I'd take him in a second, but the Sens #1 pick is a LOOOOOOOOOOONG way from Hughes right now, and still a long shot until the lotto.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Two seconds and Pulock? Wouldn't pay much for Duchene because idt he has a winning bone in his body, but he can play a #2c position. Really overrated for his point production and Colorado started winning a lot after they got rid of him. Hate on this statement all you want, but I wouldn't want any part in paying for him.

He has a career +/- of -83 btw.
No to trading pulock. 2 2nds, nelson and ho sang/aho. I hope Lou doesnt trade pulock, bellows, walstrom, dobson, beau, barzal or a 1st that isnt top 8 protected. Rest of prospects and players are free game. I understand you have to give to get but not worth giving up isles top prizes unless its a steal

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016

To isles - sens 1st rnd in 2019

To avs - isles 2019 1st (top 5 protected), wilde, ho sang, nelson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad