Rumor: Isles and Sens discussed Duchene to LI trade

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Both Lou and Trotz have given interviews, indicating they are evaluating the players over the next season for a retool, not a rebuild. They think enough pieces are in place and knocking on the nhl door, that they do not need a total rebuild.

Staple says they are shopping for a top 4D and #2C

Now Jimmy Murphy reports the isles and Sens discussed Duchene to LI.

I would expect the Sens would let Lou discuss an extension with Duchene because an extended Duchene brings back a better return.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
mother-of-god-super-troopers-gif-i15-640x350.jpg

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yuck. I hope Duchene isn’t seeking #1 center money. Because he’s not a #1 Center. I’d take him as a#2 though for the right price.
He doesn't have to be signed for a year so just bet on barzal outplaying him

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Murphy has no idea what he is talking about usually. I haven't seen him being right even once.

I think Duchene to the Isles is a complete pipedream. I would be shocked if he does not sign a large contract with the Sens in the near future right after Karlsson gets dealt.

Also if I am an Isles fan, I wouldn't want to imagine what Dorion would want in return right now given what he surrendered for him only 10 months ago. Add that Lou is certainly a bit too motivated right now to get something done after taking that major blow with JT, and I would hope for Isles fans that this is bs.

I would assume that atleast one of Wahlstrom or Dobson would have to go the other way. Otherwise there is no way Dorion could justify trading him right now unless Duchene has demanded a trade (which seems very unlikely).

Dorion will probably already lose EK for not great value. Trading Duchene for a meh package would probably the killer blow not only for Dorions career but maybe also the franchise. He will offer Duchene (and Stone) huge longterm deals and pray to god that they will take them (and I think they will).

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I'd have to think - if true - one of Wahlstrom/Dobson has to be part of the package. Unless they decide to maximize the Karlsson return and try to dump Ryan in a Duchene trade. Not sure the Isles would entertain that.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Logically, the Senators should be cutting bait with Duchene - but they won't.

They're going to lock him into a huge contract that he can't possibly live up to, and then 18 months later they'll be trying to dump him.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
My guess is he gets 7-8 per yer. RyJo will likely be the main contract his agent uses as a comparable.

Any deal would likely start with a 'replacement' NHL center with at least a few years left before they hit UFA status. Presumably Nelson or Beauvillier I guess. Then, pick and prospects added to even it out.

Reactions: Badfish87

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Cant see Ottawa moving him,after what we paid for him there was likely talk of an extension in place well beforehand...He will resign in Ottawa

He left Colorado because he wanted to win and didn't want to be part of a rebuild. Why would he re-up in Ottawa?

If there's any truth to this rumour, I suspect it's because he's showed some reluctance, with good reason, to sign in Ottawa.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Duchene wasn't worth half of what Ottawa paid to get him and they'll get less than half of what they gave up in return for him. They need to keep him and sign him to avoid further embarrassment, which probably means he'll be signed for the same deal that they just offered a generational defenseman.

Reactions: Jarey Curry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad