Rumor: Isles and Sens discussed Duchene to LI trade

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Isles losing Hamonic in a trade,then CDH for 1/2 the season and Boychuk for 18 games left Leddy,the only quality top 4D on this season's roster.
He was badly overworked.
What's Duchene's excuse?
Duchene has never been surrounded by a competant team and yet still had put up the numbers he has along with one of the best faceoff percentages in the league

Reactions: MacBradley

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
You seriously underrate some of his Avs teams when you claim they were not competent ( or competitive).
No, I dont considering they had a historically bad season two years ago and prior to that only made it once IIRC.

Duchene is just as much a top line talent as Leddy is a top pair talent

Reactions: MacBradley

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
The Tavares contract is going to ripple through the league - many ppg players can now point to his contract

The tavares contract is going to be a weird one.

Two season prior playing with Capuano as a coach(preached system and defensive hockey) - averaged 71 points per 82 games those 2 seasons
Last season with Doug Weight as coach(wide open hockey) - 84 points in 82 games.

If Babcock lets him play wide open hockey then he'll be a ppg player
If Babcock makes him play within a system - 70 points per season. Don't know if the Toronto media is going to accept a 70 point JT for 11 million a season.

While it make ripple through the league. It could prove to be a bonehead move to pay players 11 million per season.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
If Duchene is your #1 center, you're a lottery team.
basically yes but with Karlson as well you can compete, for me as an Islander fan As much as id love Karlsson, youre not getting him for free so why talk about it?
logically the Isles need to Draft a center next year unless Ho Sang surprises everyone and im ok with that, with the new arena coming its smarter to use the next few seasons to build

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
No, I dont considering they had a historically bad season two years ago and prior to that only made it once IIRC.

Duchene is just as much a top line talent as Leddy is a top pair talent
In 7 full seasons there, he made the playoffs twice and just missed a 3rd trip to the postseason.

And I do not consider 55-60 pts to be top line talent. If that is the case Bailey is top line talent.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
basically yes but with Karlson as well you can compete, for me as an Islander fan As much as id love Karlsson, youre not getting him for free so why talk about it?
logically the Isles need to Draft a center next year unless Ho Sang surprises everyone and im ok with that, with the new arena coming its smarter to use the next few seasons to build
I would be ok taking this approach because I am hearing the 2019 draft is very deep with quality centers.

I do not expect Lou to fill all the roster holes in just a few months.

Reactions: IODCPiper

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Duchene has never been surrounded by a competant team and yet still had put up the numbers he has along with one of the best faceoff percentages in the league

Lol the AVS were virtually the same roster after trading Duchene and they took off after he left.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
He left Colorado because he wanted to win and didn't want to be part of a rebuild. Why would he re-up in Ottawa?

If there's any truth to this rumour, I suspect it's because he's showed some reluctance, with good reason, to sign in Ottawa.
i dont know if that's true, he wanted to leave when it looked like the Avs were finishing up the rebuild. I thought he wanted out because the new management didn't think he was a core piece and was taking offers for him. I'm sure he is getting tired of playing on bad teams though.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
i dont know if that's true, he wanted to leave when it looked like the Avs were finishing up the rebuild. I thought he wanted out because the new management didn't think he was a core piece and was taking offers for him. I'm sure he is getting tired of playing on bad teams though.
He did not originally want to be dealt, but I think he soured on the front office because they were shopping him.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
He's can't be worse then whoever is considered the top line center for columbus.
hes okay but i wouldnt want him because hes a UFA. We dont need to be Played again like Mr Aryne Fuller (one of the twin Who res of Toronto) played us. even if Duchene was signed he's not a good fit because he'd be expensive to acquire and he'll be 30 by the time we are realistically ready to compete.

for us Karlsson and Duchene are non starters for those reasons, i get it that for ottawa we are a match because we have some prime young talent, but we need that for ourselves. Im sympathetic to senators fans plight of course but not to the point of being Santa Claus

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Take it for what it's worth, but Bruce Garrioch claimed that both Duchene's people and the Senators were interested in sitting down and talking things over, and that they would both meet up next week to talk a contract. There seemed to be an assumption that the Karlsson trade would be done by then. Randy Lee is currently suspended and the Senators were already short staffed compared to typical front offices. So this makes sense that they'd put Duchene on the back burner while dealing with what should be the most important trade in franchise history.

Garrioch is accused by some of being this org's mouth piece, but it's relevant info none the less. If both sides want to get something done, it should be pretty straight forward. The market for a C of Duchene's calibre has been set at around 8M give or take.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Take it for what it's worth, but Bruce Garrioch claimed that both Duchene's people and the Senators were interested in sitting down and talking things over, and that they would both meet up next week to talk a contract. There seemed to be an assumption that the Karlsson trade would be done by then. Randy Lee is currently suspended and the Senators were already short staffed compared to typical front offices. So this makes sense that they'd put Duchene on the back burner while dealing with what should be the most important trade in franchise history.

Garrioch is accused by some of being this org's mouth piece, but it's relevant info none the less. If both sides want to get something done, it should be pretty straight forward. The market for a C of Duchene's calibre has been set at around 8M give or take.

David Pagnotta also said that Duchene’s side expected contract talks to start later in the summer so there’s definitely some interest in staying despite what many fans may speculate.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
yeah sure, i bet Duchene was the problem being the 2nd highest scorer on the team.

What an astute observation
100% was. A cancer in the locker room for requesting a trade and giving a half-assed effort every night because he wasnt happy. MacKinnon was in his shadow and took the leadership role and ran with it once he was gone. Pure points and the name on the back of the jersey is not everything on a team.

Im rooting for anything that makes the Senators worse for 2019. Get it done!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad