aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Staal on the ice for 0GF/4GA?...

chloe-meme-original.jpg

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
Not terribly mad after this game. We lost but were the better team for a bulk of the game. Unfortunately all chances for the opposing team is finding the net right now.

Hayes looks fantastic... That kid is something and has a quality that can't be taught. He has size and understands how to use his length. Excellent passer for his age too.

Defensively just have to be better... GOes for forwards and that bottom pair.

We badly miss someone like Dan Boyle though. Girardi, Klein, and Staal are all brutal at moving the puck up ice.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
How do three shots on goal, smooth passing with a nice assist, several chances, and no glaring errors equal a poor game? What are you looking for?

This is precisely the problem with every prospect getting the look, everyone is hyper focused on them and looking for way too much every shift.

People are over-analyzing his game.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Crap...

lines at practice per Gross:

Anthony Duclair, Marty St. Louis, Rick Nash
Chris Kreider, Derick Brassard, Lee Stempniak
Carl Hagelin, Kevin Hayes, Mats Zuccarello
Tanner Glass, Dominic Moore, Ryan Malone

No Miller again, hopefully he comes back inspired because Hayes might just play himself in to Miller's spot.

Ideally Glass should sit so we can get a look with both of them in the line-up, but whatever.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Staal on the ice for 0GF/4GA?...

People will blame Kostka, but Staal made the first turnover on the third Islanders goal. He's a terrible puckhandler and it hurts his defensive game. Some people just can't let go of what he once was when they watch him because there's no way he should be extended.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
People will blame Kostka, but Staal made the first turnover on the third Islanders goal.

Yes, as fun as it is to dump on Kostka because no one likes him to begin with, without Staal's misqueue, Kostka never has to make that dumb pass.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Hagelin and Zucc have gotten nothing done, I have no idea why AV keeps playing them on the same line

AHB*

Ridiculous. No one should be playing hurt in October.

How do three shots on goal, smooth passing with a nice assist, several chances, and no glaring errors equal a poor game? What are you looking for?

Most aren't saying it was a bad game, just nothing special. The thing with Duke is people REALLY want him to succeed, so they'll look for anything to cling to. I thought he was OK last night. Was he bad, no, was he good, no, did he look out of place out there, not really.

Overall though, there really wasn't anything overly impressive. Of his three shots, one was really nice, the assist was in garbage time and while nice, wasn't anything important and wasn't the same as getting a goal in a "real" game. However, what I was most impressed by was his defensive awareness and ability to hustle back into the play. That's the kind of stuff I think might let him stick.

That being said, I have an issue with his strength on the puck. In the board battles last night, he lost quite a few of them. I think he'll learn to use his body better in those situations as his size I don't think is an issue, but the question is do we let him learn that at the NHL level or do we let him take another year of development elsewhere.

Personally, I'd prefer we give him a shot here for the season on the 3rd line. But remember, that puts us in a bind. If he falls off a cliff, we're stuck with him and benching him would severely impact his development.

AHB*

Crap...

lines at practice per Gross:

Anthony Duclair, Marty St. Louis, Rick Nash
Chris Kreider, Derick Brassard, Lee Stempniak
Carl Hagelin, Kevin Hayes, Mats Zuccarello
Tanner Glass, Dominic Moore, Ryan Malone

Why crap? The forwards were more then fine last night. In fact, I thought they were good.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City

He didn't score = bad game

Unless Duclair starts looking like Costco did last night, he's not going anywhere. He has contributed more offensively than most of the forwards, thus far. Has primary assist on half of Nash's goals too.
Also, I thought 9 games isn't the limit because an ELC year is already burned?

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Totally fine with this. The strength will be on the wing but that's okay

Right?

Plus it gives the kids experience where we need them to get it.

There will be horrid moments of course and growing pains, etc. but thus far this season has largely been that anyway... while at the same time negating a hall of fame winger forced to play C.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
HF: Duclair had a bad game.

Blueshirt Banter: "Another assist (three points in four games so far) and a lightning-quick shot to match his lightning-quick skating. If anyone thought he was going to look out of place with the big boys they were wrong. The pass he made for Rick Nash's second goal was perfectly placed. He's going to be special. I keep saying it, but I mean it."

Just goes to show, reading some comments here by certain people who have zero understanding of hockey can destroy your brain. Stick to the people who are logical, and understand the game/players.

Kudos to all the intelligent posters out there. You all know who you are.

I agree if people are saying Duke had a bad game they are wrong. But you are using confirmation bias here with that quote from that source. It doesn't hold enough weight to vindicate you and all of your opinions to the degree that is implied. It certainly is not enough to simultaneously condemn the opinions of a large group of people to the degree you are suggesting

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I was only able to watch the 1st two periods last night. I checked into the game about 5 mins into the 3rd and Isles just scored #5 with that Kostka turnover. Not trying to put all the blame on him but that guy is terrible and should never see NHL ice again in his career unless a team loses 4 of 6 defenders to injury. Two goals were direct turnovers from him in front of the net.

It's early though folks. No need for panicking at this point. Most said they would be happy being at .500 by the time Stepan was ready to come back and I'm in on that. Rangers need to get a win to get back on some sort of track though.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
People will blame Kostka, but Staal made the first turnover on the third Islanders goal. He's a terrible puckhandler and it hurts his defensive game. Some people just can't let go of what he once was when they watch him because there's no way he should be extended.

Eh, he was forced into a turnover by one of the better players in the game, it happens. The Rangers recovered the puck after that and had time to break it out until Kostka happened. If you want to get on every defenseman who is forced into a turnover in the defensive zone you're going to have to be complaining nonstop about every defenseman in the game.

Kostka's turnovers were unforced and into the worst areas, that was the issue

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Duke has not done anything to deserve the demotion.

He's not been a detriment on the ice. And has shown more than capable of playing in this league.

Sending him down after 9 games would be poor asset management and plain dumb

If they could send him to the AHL I would be more apt to agree, but by game 10 they may very well think Juniors is not going to help his development any further and thus letting him tough it out in the NHL, even if it means a few healthy scratches down the stretch.

If this kid was so lost he needed another year in juniors he would have never made the team out of camp. He's been good enough thus far in the regular season to justify keeping him up. He definitely didn't play a "bad" game last night as some have claimed. No one looks like a world beater every shift and there were vets last night who looked like beer league scrubs. Hard to call his performance last night anything less than acceptable for a 19 year old.

He's definitely looked great. There's no denying that. The pass on Nash's 2nd goal in the 3rd period was world class. It doesn't change the fact that he's a skinny 19-year old kid playing with grown men. I think the extra year in Junior allows him to get stronger and dominate.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Eh, he was forced into a turnover by one of the better players in the game, it happens. The Rangers recovered the puck after that and had time to break it out until Kostka happened. If you want to get on every defenseman who is forced into a turnover in the defensive zone you're going to have to be complaining nonstop about every defenseman in the game.

Kostka's turnovers were unforced and into the worst areas, that was the issue

Agreed.

Regardless of what Staal did or didn't do, Kostka had possession and both times decided not to get out of trouble by going up the boards.

The poor decisions by Kostka there were not forced on him by Staal's mistakes.

Kostka had decisions to make due to mistakes from Staal, but at the end of the day Kostka ****ed up

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Kostka had decisions to make due to mistakes from Staal, but at the end of the day Kostka ****ed up

Staal didn't really make any mistakes on the first goal. The Isles broke the puck out and he wasn't able to intercept a pass in the neutral zone but it wasn't an oddman rush and Kostka just plain screwed up

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
He's definitely looked great. There's no denying that. The pass on Nash's 2nd goal in the 3rd period was world class. It doesn't change the fact that he's a skinny 19-year old kid playing with grown men. I think the extra year in Junior allows him to get stronger and dominate.

What's going to be better for him.

Training with an amature staff and kids he is clearly better than?

OR

Training with a world class staff and men he has shown to be good enough to compete with and not look one bit out of place?

If there's a situation available to him that will allow him to get stonger, then I submit that it would be with the Rangers Training staff and facilities than in Quebec.

A players physical stature should never really determine if a player can stick at the NHL level. Are there exceptions to that rule? Absoluytely. if he was 160lbs at 5'11" then yeah, he needs to add a good 20 lbs of muscle.

As it is, Duke is 5'11" and 180, most sites are not really all that current so i would expect that Duke is probably pushing 185

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
The 2nd period summed up everything we've seen in the regular season over the last couple of years...getting a ton of grade A chances but not finishing...which of course comes back to bite them in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad