Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ Rangers - 10/14/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
Well, the Leafs run on analytics, and Kostka's fenwick was through the roof last night... so.... not sure what point you're trying to make....

This is obviously a tongue in cheek post. I know the Leafs are heavy handed in analytics starting this season. This is also not a complete shot at fancystats, which I believe are a fantastic complement to today's game, but opens a good argument against why you cannot use fancystats as a stand alone way to evaluate a player

That may have been a tongue in cheek post, but it still doesn't apply to the validity of advanced stats. Saying that Kostka's performance last night says anything about Fenwick is like claiming that you disproved the law of averages by flipping a coin and getting heads 3 times in a row.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
This is obviously a tongue in cheek post. I know the Leafs are heavy handed in analytics starting this season. This is also not a complete shot at fancystats, which I believe are a fantastic complement to today's game, but opens a good argument against why you cannot use fancystats as a stand alone way to evaluate a player*

*NOTE: On a game per game basis.

No, you can't use them to take anything from a small sample size and expect it to be meaningful.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Defense bad & it seemingly has taken away his scoring. Don't recall too many good scoring chances for him.

He set up Nash for tap ins twice. He has an assist for every game played so far.

For the defense, I think that the entire team is a little off kilter in the system like the beginning of last year again. Not sure why.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
The problem I have with MSL at center is he's too small and it hurts the board game and the cycle game. He's really only good when the ice is open and he's able to make nice long passes to set up goal scoring chances. But if the opponent's D is tight and he has to fight for the puck, he really struggles.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He set up Nash for tap ins twice. He has an assist for every game played so far.

For the defense, I think that the entire team is a little off kilter in the system like the beginning of last year again. Not sure why.

I think AV's system is a little more confusing and requires everyone on the same page

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I think AV's system is a little more confusing and requires everyone on the same page

I've been wondering exactly what thread this would fit in best, but here seems as a good a place as any.

Does anyone around here with solid tactical knowledge know what kind of system AV is running on defense? Like, does it have an identifiable name that I can look up and read up on? Aside from being interested in the depths of the team's systems, I'm starting to get more serious about playing myself and that in turn is expanding my interest in this facet of the game.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
That may have been a tongue in cheek post, but it still doesn't apply to the validity of advanced stats. Saying that Kostka's performance last night says anything about Fenwick is like claiming that you disproved the law of averages by flipping a coin and getting heads 3 times in a row.

Yikes, did I hit a soft spot?

I love advanced stats. I think they're great and I love the direction the league is going in. I guess I needed to be a lot more heavy-handed in my disclaimer there :laugh:

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Why exactly does everyone hate MSL at center? He's set up perfect tap in goals for Nash twice. He has an assist per game.

Keeping them together with a different center means putting nash on LW when he's killing it on RW right now, and then some other adjustments need to be made to get three top 9 RWs once Nash is put on the left.

I'm not saying he's been ideal, but in this situation, I really don't think having him at center is bad.

I kind of agree with you that St. Louis looks OK at center...However, he's the best pure scorer the Rangers have and he really doesn't get the opportunity to shoot as much. He only has 6 shots on goal over the 4 games. Ultimately, he needs to be scoring goals too.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
How do three shots on goal, smooth passing with a nice assist, several chances, and no glaring errors equal a poor game? What are you looking for?

Speaking for myself only, I am looking for a player on the first line to be more visible throughout the game.

I am not saying he played poorly. Just thought he looked far better in the pre-season than he does now.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Another day, Another game, Another night of Rick Nash being #1 in the league in points and goals :laugh:

Funny enough, None of Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin or Malkin are in the top 5 of either.

Championship*

Another day, Another game, Another night of Rick Nash being #1 in the league in points and goals :laugh:

Funny enough, None of Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin or Malkin are in the top 5 of either.

It's been 4 games. At the end of the season all of those people are going to have more goals/points than Rick, and I am not a Nash hater.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Yes. People are free to hate on not re-signing Straalman, but the real travesty was not signing Diaz for $700K as the 7th D.

The Rangers were in talks with him, but he didn't want to be a 7th D. He wanted a spot in the Top-6, and the Rangers looked set at the time.

I just wish it had been Kostka that we traded to FLA instead of Kampfer. Kampfer was a RH shot, and looked solid if unspectacular in preseason.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
I'm surprised at how many Rangers fans are surprised by the loss to the icelanders.

Really? You didn't see that coming?

We are spent after that Cup run, and it is going to take some time to regroup and adjust to major roster changes.

Meanwhile, the Isles have added excellent PP personnel, and are gertting damn good goal tending. Will it last? Dunno, but it seems more likely this year than any other recent years.

This could make for some very exciting playoff hockey next spring with the new format. And a refreshed rivalry heading into Brooklyn.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I really think our slow starts under AV are in part due to the man-to-man defense that he employs. It's a very unforgiving system and mistakes can end up in the back of the net very easily. With the new players on the roster this season, and our veterans trying to shake off the rust, it doesn't surprise me that we're giving up a ton of goals. Once everyone settles in and finds their focus, I think we'll be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad