Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ Rangers - 10/14/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Lol. Ok im sure that had nothing to do with the devastating turnovers by Kostka that handed this game to the islanders . The game should have been 4-1 after 2. Trust me if that game is 2-1 going to
Third rather then 2-2 it's a completely different game in the third.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
that;s only because the horrific turnover happened only a minute or two into the 3rd...

Last edited by a moderator:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
And my point was that he does panic, but that panic takes the form of freezing up. He doesn't freeze to the point where he turns it over, but he doesn't really do much either. He was more decisive last night, but still not all that good.

He's a young kid and I'm not criticizing him, just saying he has to learn this.

Eh I dont' think you can really make that assessment for sure, I mean Zucc and Brassard do the same crap a lot of the time and I dont' think you'd say that they're panicking and freezing up.

After Hayes kind of blew that 2 on 1 early in the game by waiting too long, I suspect someone on the bench told him to stop overthinking things and just take the shot if he has one, because he started shooting a lot more after that.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I think Hayes sticks as the #3 center when everyone's healthy. He's poised well beyond his years. The points will start coming if he's not yo-yo'ed between New York and Hartford. Reminds me a bit of Martin Hanzal out of Arizona. Big, lanky, smart hockey players.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
You guys really think Costco is worse than Del Zaster?

Is this even a serious question? Del Zotto may not be a great player, but at least he's an NHL player. Kostka doesn't belong anywhere in the league.

I think he made the team by impersonating Hagelin's flow.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
No goals but the kid does have 3 points in 4 games. Which is more than Fast has in 14 games and is halfway to Millers entire point total in 30 games last year.

30% of the way to Miller's entire regular season point total in just 4 games...

Still loved the way Hayes looked last night.

Also glad to be right when I said Malone's still got it. He was a factor for us at ES and on the PP. Should've been playing every game.

Plug in Hunwick for Kostka. Put MSL back on the wing, and let's get this season on the road already. Stop trying to act like we need to have four balanced lines and load up on the wings. Especially when we're at home and can control the matchups (although, that didn't stop Capuano from being able to get Tavares out there against Kostka...)

Duclair - Hayes - Nash
Kreider - Brassard - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Miller - MSL
Malone - Moore - Stempniak

Let's go.

When Stepan gets back there will be a complete revamp. But for the next six games, this should be the lineup.

Last edited:

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
The thing is there were a number of times where Duke had the puck and had a solid shot on goal that Halak made the save, though unfortunately we didn't get the rebounds or do anything with them when we did.

I thought Duke was fine, and made a great pass to Nash for the goal. And during the PP, he had a couple really good shots, but, again, we couldn't do anything with the rebounds. I don't think he looked particularly overmatched on D, though that goal right in front of the net I thought he could've given a bit more effort with his stick, but hopefully the leaders will get the message across that you gotta be more aggressive there. I don't think it was a bad game by any means, though he definitely still has room to grow.

Hopefully he'll get a goal soon, though his points were really solid points, they weren't secondary assists where he chipped the puck out that had little affect on the actual scoring play, all 3 were amazing passes that led to fantastic scoring chances we were able to finish. This kid can be something very special, he seems to have more vision and passing than Gaborik. Gaborik seems to be more like a pure scorer, but Duke can pass really well as well as shoot and score.

SupersonicMonkey*

Also glad to be right when I said Malone's still got it. He was a factor for us at ES and on the PP. Should've been playing every game.

Plug in Hunwick for Kostka. Put MSL back on the wing, and let's get this season on the road already. Stop trying to act like we need to have four balanced lines and load up on the wings. Especially when we're at home and can control the matchups (although, that didn't stop Capuano from being able to get Tavares out there against Kostka...)

Duclair - Hayes - Nash
Hagelin - Miller - MSL

Let's go.

When Stepan gets back there will be a complete revamp. But for the next six games, this should be the lineup.

Looks good.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Hope Hayes sticks and is given a chance! Guy was noticeable and his stick handling is super impressive for his size. Very rare . I'm a jt fan but neither him or fast deserve to bump Hayes out of the lineup

Only problem I have with Hayes right now is he's over patient.

Holds the puck when the pass was there.

Good thing is that as he plays and gets more comfortable with his line mates and situations, that issue is an easy fix.

Championship*

Thought Stempniak looked great last night, really hoping he doesn't turn into a Voros/Kotalik/Pyatt. Hayes as well had a good game, I would keep him in the lineup. Duke was fine, and though I'd like to see him score a goal, he keeps finding his name on the scoresheet. Zucc was invisible for the most part, he's had a poor start to the season. I don't have a good thing to say about any member of the D - they need to get their collective heads out of their *****.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@AGrossRecord: All Rangers on ice for today's noon practice. Yes, that includes Michael Kostka.â€

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Is this even a serious question? Del Zotto may not be a great player, but at least he's an NHL player. Kostka doesn't belong anywhere in the league.

I think he made the team by impersonating Hagelin's flow.

Didn't they call him Carl Hagelin when introducing the guys on the bench during the home opener?

I could have sworn they called Hagelins name when showing Kostka standing on the bench in a suit.

:laugh:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Duclair - Hayes - Nash
Hagelin - Miller - MSL

Let's go.

I like that lineup. Let's the kids play, doesn't screw with our strengths on the wings...

One reason we're giving up a ton of goals because MSL cannot play defense as a forward centerman...

I'd also advocate for this:

Kreider-Hayes-Nash
Duclair/Stempniak-Brassard-Zucc
Hagelin-Miller-MSL
Malone-Moore-Stempniak/Glass/Fast

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Duclair - Hayes - Nash
Hagelin - Miller - MSL

Let's go.

Been saying this for a while now.

use the superior RW depth to your advantage.

I don't see balance now. What they are doing now is overloading.

Spread the wealth

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Been saying this for a while now.

use the superior RW depth to your advantage.

I don't see balance now. What they are doing now is overloading.

Spread the wealth

yep, that is a problem...

2 of our scorers are on the same line when it's really not necessary to do at this point... put filler players in the empty spots, let the guys who are strong with specific positional strengths play to those strengths

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
anyone see this quote from SNYRangers Blog?

http://www.bt.no/100Sport/ishockey/...ss-ut-av-sumpen-raskt-468155_1.snd?xtor=RSS-2

http://snyrangersblog.com/2014-15/2...-a-norwegian-paper-after-the-game-last-night/

Asked about his return to the lineup, where he played 16:22, was a minus one, 1 shot on goal, 2 shots that were blocked, 1 takeaway and one hit, Zuccarello said that his shoulder was no excuse and that other players are playing hurt as well. (BT)

I wonder who else is "playing hurt"

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I think Duclair goes back to Juniors after game 9. I like what I've seen, but he's too skinny to last a whole season. Send him back this year and keep him full time next year. Hayes should 100% be on the team the rest of the season. He just needs to shoot the puck.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I don't think DuClair goes anywhere if he keeps up his point production (3 points in 4 games = roughly 8 points in 10 or 65+ for the year). Not going to happen unless he falls off production-wise. He's made a lot of nice plays out there.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I think Duclair goes back to Juniors after game 9. I like what I've seen, but he's too skinny to last a whole season. Send him back this year and keep him full time next year. Hayes should 100% be on the team the rest of the season. He just needs to shoot the puck.

Holy ****, I really thought i've seen it all on here until now...:laugh:

I'm not saying the kid doesn't need to bulk up, he does. But he's 19, still growing and has shown that his current stature has no negative effect on whether or not he can be successful in this league.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Duke has not done anything to deserve the demotion.

He's not been a detriment on the ice. And has shown more than capable of playing in this league.

Sending him down after 9 games would be poor asset management and plain dumb

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

If they could send him to the AHL I would be more apt to agree, but by game 10 they may very well think Juniors is not going to help his development any further and thus letting him tough it out in the NHL, even if it means a few healthy scratches down the stretch.

If this kid was so lost he needed another year in juniors he would have never made the team out of camp. He's been good enough thus far in the regular season to justify keeping him up. He definitely didn't play a "bad" game last night as some have claimed. No one looks like a world beater every shift and there were vets last night who looked like beer league scrubs. Hard to call his performance last night anything less than acceptable for a 19 year old.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Crap...

lines at practice per Gross:

Anthony Duclair, Marty St. Louis, Rick Nash
Chris Kreider, Derick Brassard, Lee Stempniak
Carl Hagelin, Kevin Hayes, Mats Zuccarello
Tanner Glass, Dominic Moore, Ryan Malone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad