Islanders General Rumour, Trade, FA, & Waiver Speculation 2018-19 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
.8 ppg in almost 40 games for team USA.When he's given top six minutes, top six line mates and 1PP time he produces. Even here when he was paired with Ho-Sang he looked like a different player.

Which can be said about pretty much any forward in the NHL, lol. They are all skilled and play well when put with highly skilled players. Doesn't mean you deserve to be there. Nelson isn't making anybody else better. I mean, you just basically said he looked like a different player when he was paired with a rookie. He needs to make other players look like different players. GTFO with any Nelson love I ain't having it.

Reactions: TommytheCat

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Which can be said about pretty much any forward in the NHL, lol. They are all skilled and play well when put with highly skilled players. Doesn't mean you deserve to be there. Nelson isn't making anybody else better. I mean, you just basically said he looked like a different player when he was paired with a rookie. He needs to make other players look like different players. GTFO with any Nelson love I ain't having it.

Anders Lee can be looked at the same way. Some players aren't "line drivers", but they can be complimentary and help the team. Nelson is a shooter and a goal scorer, but he needs someone that can create space and feed him the puck. You make it sound like him jumping to a .8ppg player under those circumstances is no big deal because anyone can do it. If that were the case why didn't Andrew Ladd or Beauvillier do it when given the chance? If that were the case, every top six winger would be posting 65+ points. You know that isn't true.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
They can sign who they want and leave the scraps for the rest of the teams.

And what about 8 year contracts prevents them from doing that now if the player wants to play for one of those teams? Tavares, Shattenkirk, etc. If the players really want to play somewhere and they're good enough, that's where they will go.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Hopefully this offensive Dynamo gets a shot

Lehner might chop Ho-Sangs ankles for that in training camp lol

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
And what about 8 year contracts prevents them from doing that now if the player wants to play for one of those teams?

Nothing. But, those teams will be able to get a lot more of a player's prime years. Signing the free agents will also be less punitive since the contracts will expire earlier. Signing a good player from 26-31 is a lot different than 28-35.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Nothing. But, those teams will be able to get a lot more of a player's prime years. Signing the free agents will also be less punitive since the contracts will expire earlier. Signing a good player from 26-31 is a lot different than 28-35.

It's a double edge sword. When less speakinga locations make contract mistakes it's harder to get out of them.

I wonder if allowing the home team to offer two extra years might help players stay, while also allowing a little more movement via free agency if the players want to go that route.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
ONE year contracts for everyone. Lets make administration and agents do some work for once!

I don't think any team has time to get good if they have to worry about signing new contracts every year no matter how much money the team makes. It will balance out because some will make a lot and some will have crap years and earn a lot less. Everyone will get paid for what they're worth and players will HAVE to work for their food.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Would be terrific if we could get a sign and trade with Panarin. Looks like they had their meeting, and he is giving them warning he isn't signing long term. If we could get that extension in place, give him 9 million, we could set ourselves up long term very well with him and Barzal.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
If they shorten the contract years to 5 then they should increase unrestricted free agency to 29 or 30.
I wish I could like this post 100x. Absolutely. I dont care what the contract length limits are, it is absolutely f***ing ridiculous that these players get to hand pick their team by the age of 27, before they even really enter their prime. The team that drafts you should have you under control through at least the first few years of your prime, meaning at least 29. Personally I think you should not be able to be an UFA until 30 or 31. And if the players dont like that, f*** THEM. They get paid millions to play professional sports for a living. You dont get to also hand pick which team you want to play for.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
My guess is any pitch from the Islanders starts with Pulock or Dobson

I'd pass, Trouba is looking to get paid and it's almost time for him to make a long term commitment. He has no ties to LI in any meaningful way and we're not an attractive organization right now.

It's pretty clear to me we're in rebuild mode. Pulock and Dobson should be untouchable, just like all other prized youngsters.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I'd pass, Trouba is looking to get paid and it's almost time for him to make a long term commitment. He has no ties to LI in any meaningful way and we're not an attractive organization right now.

It's pretty clear to me we're in rebuild mode. Pulock and Dobson should be untouchable, just like all other prized youngsters.

I'm inclined to agree with you, except if this is a sign & trade. We don't need anyone on the team who doesn't want to be on Long Island and/or looking to squeeze every last dime out of ownership. If Trouba wanted to sign a contract that wasn't ludicrous, that would bring him here long term, I think that is something at least worth exploring.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Would give up Dobson without second thought. Pulock not so much. Dobson + Ho Sang + Cizikas + Second Round pick for Trouba. Make it happen Lou.

Those are some big pieces. I am on board with building around Dobson as a foundation but we haven't even given Ho-Sang an opportunity with Trotz.

I'm also not sure why so many are keen on getting rid of Cizikas, he is an ideal 4th Line center who always gives it 110%. I'm not sure a more offensively gifted, but softer player would impact the game the way he does.

It's highly unlikely we retain Eberle and Lee, with that being said, it's safe to say we could get a 1st back for either guy as a rental. I'd look to dangle our 2019 1st, Nelson & one of Wotherspoon/Vande Sompel Quennville before I trading Ho-Sang, the verdict is not out on him yet.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm inclined to agree with you, except if this is a sign & trade. We don't need anyone on the team who doesn't want to be on Long Island and/or looking to squeeze every last dime out of ownership. If Trouba wanted to sign a contract that wasn't ludicrous, that would bring him here long term, I think that is something at least worth exploring.

A sign and trade makes even less sense. Why would he commit to a long term deal knowing that he would be going to the Isles? He has zero ties to the area, the only thing that we offer is that it's not Winnipeg. The only chance we could retain him if he plays on the team and it's a fairy tale for a year or whenever he's a pending UFA. Then when he decides to bolt home to Detroit and we trade him to try and recoup assets, we are down Pulock/Dobson and whatever other assets only to replace them with a likely less valuable package.

After being burned by Pajama Judas, there is no guarantee until a signature is on the contract. That goes for Barzal and anyone else. Pulock and especially Dobson are under team control for the long haul. I'm not trading either of them or anyone else of significance for likely 1 year of service from Trouba.

Reactions: CREW99AW

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
A sign and trade makes even less sense. Why would he commit to a long term deal knowing that he would be going to the Isles? He has zero ties to the area, the only thing that we offer is that it's not Winnipeg. The only chance we could retain him if he plays on the team and it's a fairy tale for a year or whenever he's a pending UFA. Then when he decides to bolt home to Detroit and we trade him to try and recoup assets, we are down Pulock/Dobson and whatever other assets only to replace them with a likely less valuable package.

After being burned by Pajama Judas, there is no guarantee until a signature is on the contract. That goes for Barzal and anyone else. Pulock and especially Dobson are under team control for the long haul. I'm not trading either of them or anyone else of significance for likely 1 year of service from Trouba.

P Dubs, we are on the same page here. I wasn't suggesting a sign and trade from Trouba's perspective, just saying that since this rumor placed an emphasis on the word "MEGA" offer - I was saying that the only way I as a fan could stomach parting with a MEGA package would be for a guy locked up long term, not a disgruntled employee fantasizing about driving off the Island, speakers blaring A Flock Of Seagulls " I Ran".

Thats all. As far as why Troua would commit to a long term deal, I don't know what his priorities are, but it seems he wants money and a lot of it. If the Islanders are willing to pay him the alleged 7 Million/Season he is looking for that could mean a lot to him. He is an American kid, maybe he want's to play for the Red Wings, but then again - their future doesn't look much better than ours on paper.

Detroit needs D and needs it bad, i'm surprised they are not in on this - big RHD with 300+ games, still only 24, born & raised in Michigan, played at U of M. I'd think they'd be on this like a fly on shit.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Would give up Dobson without second thought. Pulock not so much. Dobson + Ho Sang + Cizikas + Second Round pick for Trouba. Make it happen Lou.

Dobson is drawing comparisons to Seth Jones/Pietrangelo from scouts. I am surprised a fan would value Pulock higher then Dobson.

And I would have no interest in Trouba without an extension agreement BEFORE a trade is completed.
As a few posters have pointed out, he has no ties/loyalty to the nyi. If he is not giving the Jets reasonable $ + term,why would he be reasonable with his nyi demands?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad