Islanders General Rumour, Trade, FA, & Waiver Speculation 2018-19 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Before anyone goes nuts, what i'm about to post is NOT from a reliable source, but i thought it would be worth discussing...

Eberle for Zajac
Parise + 1st for Nelson + Lee
Donskoi for MVS & 3rd or 4th

Jagr & Stafford on camp tryouts...

Apparently these are scenarios Lou has discussed...
This sounds like a Devils fan pulling people's legs. In the highly unlikely event those are somehow actually true it would mean Lou is beyond washed up as an executive to the point I would think he was suffering from dementia. So yeah, I'm calling bull shit on that.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Before anyone goes nuts, what i'm about to post is NOT from a reliable source, but i thought it would be worth discussing...

Eberle for Zajac
Parise + 1st for Nelson + Lee
Donskoi for MVS & 3rd or 4th

Jagr & Stafford on camp tryouts...

Apparently these are scenarios Lou has discussed...

Praise has a NMC, so this is just silly. Who is the source?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The old 13 year contract. What could possibly go wrong?
I recently read a rumor that the next CBA, will limit contracts to 5 yrs. I am not sure how credible this rumor is, but I prefer the current 7/8 yr max.

I am more interested in seeing the league limit signing bonuses. End these massive signing bonuses.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Interesting note from Staple today in his article on Pulock/Lee/Eberle:

He stated that compliance buyouts are a 'sure thing' for the next CBA. I tried to ask him how many and who the Isles would target but he didn't answer. I'd assume Laad is gone and maybe 1 more (clutter?).

Pretty sure Ladd's contract is buyout proof, meaning the actual cap savings would be very little compared to what he's already been paid. Unless the guy is completely useless he'll just be playing as a well paid 4th liner which goes right along with our M.O.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Pretty sure Ladd's contract is buyout proof, meaning the actual cap savings would be very little compared to what he's already been paid. Unless the guy is completely useless he'll just be playing as a well paid 4th liner which goes right along with our M.O.

He was talking about compliance buyouts. Those are buyouts only done after new labor agreements. This to allow teams to get into compliance of the new rules. Such buyouts do not count against the cap... Basically the Rick Dipietro special.

Reactions: Riseonfire

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I recently read a rumor that the next CBA, will limit contracts to 5 yrs. I am not sure how credible this rumor is, but I prefer the current 7/8 yr max.

I am more interested in seeing the league limit signing bonuses. End these massive signing bonuses.
If you didn’t get it from @GTislanders, it’s probably not true.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I think signing bonuses are a problem too. contracts should be more straight forward, not less. I'd like to see a limit on NTC's and NMC's too. The players getting too much protection stagnates the league and allows them to picttheir destination, which will ultimately lead to an NBA super team issue if it is left unchecked.

That said, five year limits would be interesting to see since we'd probably see more stars hit free agency, but I doubt it would happen.

Compliance buyouts don't count against the cap. The only way to get rid of Ladd without his blessing is either through that buyout or through NHL expansion where he isn't protected.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
He was talking about compliance buyouts. Those are buyouts only done after new labor agreements. This to allow teams to get into compliance of the new rules. Such buyouts do not count against the cap... Basically the Rick Dipietro special.

So his entire AAV would be wiped, not just the actual payout part? Seems that would only work if his contract is no longer compliant with the new structure. Not sure that stuff is all out of my pay grade.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
So his entire AAV would be wiped, not just the actual payout part? Seems that would only work if his contract is no longer compliant with the new structure. Not sure that stuff is all out of my pay grade.
The player still gets paid, but it is as if the contract never happened from a cap perspective. All players contracts have been eligible for the compliance buyouts, but each team was limited in how many they could have.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think signing bonuses are a problem too.

I think people are making a bigger stink out of signing bonuses then they are a problem.

Basically what is the difference if I offer somebody 10-10-5-5 or 1-1-1-1 with bonuses of 9-9-4-4 every July 1. To me front loading contracts would be a much bigger issue then bonuses

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think people are making a bigger stink out of signing bonuses then they are a problem.

Basically what is the difference if I offer somebody 10-10-5-5 or 1-1-1-1 with bonuses of 9-9-4-4 every July 1. To me front loading contracts would be a much bigger issue then bonuses

The difference is the added protection from buyouts.

Someone like Ladd is in too much control of his future because of all the protections he has.

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
Johnny Turncoats contract is set up just like Ladd . Minimum salary and all bonus . It's lockout proof and buyout proof . Pay that man his money. Ladd is here to stay

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

The cap is supposed to level the economic playing field.
Deeper pocketed teams being able to offer say $15m signing bonuses due every July,for the first few yrs of a contract,is hardly a level playing field.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The cap is supposed to level the economic playing field.
Deeper pocketed teams being able to offer say $15m signing bonuses due every July,for the first few yrs of a contract,is hardly a level playing field.

I thought those signing bonuses were just done to entice players by giving them more money initially. The AAV still is an average and the actual contract amount still can't go past a certain value. I don't see how they do anything other than what PK said, give a player to much control (and little incentive to be a better player). Doesn't seem to be unfair from a financial aspect though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->