Islanders General Rumour, Trade, FA, & Waiver Speculation 2018-19 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I thought those signing bonuses were just done to entice players by giving them more money initially. The AAV still is an average and the actual contract amount still can't go past a certain value. I don't see how they do anything other than what PK said, give a player to much control (and little incentive to be a better player). Doesn't seem to be unfair from a financial aspect though.

Yes, but if you have 4-5 of these contracts that’s a fairly large bill to cover on one day. Which doesn’t matter to a team like NYR or TML. But for smaller market teams having that kind of liquidity can be more problematic.

Sure it all evens out in the books at the end. But that’s still actual cash not collecting interest or being supplemented by incoming profits etc.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
The difference is the added protection from buyouts.

Someone like Ladd is in too much control of his future because of all the protections he has.

Additionally, it gives the NHLPA a POSSIBLE leverage increase during lockouts.

If an increasing number of players have guaranteed money during a lockout they’re more likely to withstand and holdout longer to gain themselves more concessions.

I say “possible” though, because I could also see the opposite effect of union member fractures with guaranteed and non-guaranteed money players.

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Yes, but if you have 4-5 of these contracts that’s a fairly large bill to cover on one day. Which doesn’t matter to a team like NYR or TML. But for smaller market teams having that kind of liquidity can be more problematic.

Sure it all evens out in the books at the end. But that’s still actual cash not collecting interest or being supplemented by incoming profits etc.
And that bonus gets paid out on the first day of the League Season and would still get paid out in the event of a lockout. In contrast, salaries would not get paid if there are no games.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Additionally, it gives the NHLPA a POSSIBLE leverage increase during lockouts.

If an increasing number of players have guaranteed money during a lockout they’re more likely to withstand and holdout longer to gain themselves more concessions.

I say “possible” though, because I could also see the opposite effect of union member fractures with guaranteed and non-guaranteed money players.
Exactly.
Deeper pocketed teams that used to outspend opponents 2-1 or 3-1 can no longer outspend opponents, but being able to pay a $15m bonuses on July 1st for the first couple of yrs of a deal, while your small- mid market opponents cannot, is a huge edge I want addressed in the upcoming cba.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Here's that no talent hack, Nelson scoring the 2nd of his 3 goals tonight....

Hey, I think I beat that #16 with the same move in a DekHockey game once. Seems like he's lost a step though (and he only had 1.5 steps back then).

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The result of limiting contracts to 5 years is that teams will no longer be able to lock up their key guys long term for reasonable rates and instead will be paying much more for players. The total stupidity of the league and it's owners dunking on themselves is breathtaking.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The result of limiting contracts to 5 years is that teams will no longer be able to lock up their key guys long term for reasonable rates and instead will be paying much more for players. The total stupidity of the league and it's owners dunking on themselves is breathtaking.

Five year deals would offer players the ability to get more than one good contract I think. Maybe they should reduce the number of years teams have control of players or make them arbitration eligible sooner.

The current system has seen the "middle class" of the NHL shrink I think, so it'd be interesting if it did go through.

Reactions: Sleestack

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Contracts used to be 5 years, then it went stupid when they started handing out 10 year ones.

5 years is the sweet spot...you'll get to see more players move around the league either by FA or trades

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Contracts used to be 5 years, then it went stupid when they started handing out 10 year ones.

5 years is the sweet spot...you'll get to see more players move around the league either by FA or trades
You realize that's just going to lead to the have nots funneling their players to the haves right? Rags, Leafs, Habs ect would love that scenario.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The pace looks right up his alley.

Hey, I think I beat that #16 with the same move in a DekHockey game once. Seems like he's lost a step though (and he only had 1.5 steps back then).

.8 ppg in almost 40 games for team USA.When he's given top six minutes, top six line mates and 1PP time he produces. Even here when he was paired with Ho-Sang he looked like a different player.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
.8 ppg in almost 40 games for team USA.When he's given top six minutes, top six line mates and 1PP time he produces. Even here when he was paired with Ho-Sang he looked like a different player.
Hey, I was just making a crack about the immobile defenseman. At this point Brock is probably our 2C, so I'm all for pumping him up. Hopefully he steps up - he'll certainly have the opportunity.

Reactions: Jester9881

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
It's basically like saying "I want to create a system where Wahlstrom, Dobson, Wilde ect can leave the team as fast as possible". It's like a turkey voting to hold Thanksgiving.

Keep in mind, not many players act like Tavares did. Many players DO resign. The easiest way to resign these guys are to actually WIN.

bioman22

Jun 29, 2009
Exactly.
Deeper pocketed teams that used to outspend opponents 2-1 or 3-1 can no longer outspend opponents, but being able to pay a $15m bonuses on July 1st for the first couple of yrs of a deal, while your small- mid market opponents cannot, is a huge edge I want addressed in the upcoming cba.

The disparity in state tax laws should also addressed. Have a moving adjustment as well. Teams in no or low tax (TX, Fla) vs. High tax NY, CA and Canada.

Reactions: PWJunior

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's basically like saying "I want to create a system where Wahlstrom, Dobson, Wilde ect can leave the team as fast as possible". It's like a turkey voting to hold Thanksgiving.
No, because other teams would have to deal with the same issues. There would still be a cap.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Owners need to negotiate the type of contract that Tavares signed into oblivion. It basically makes a contract not available for buyouts and causes other issues. They were able to save themselves from those stupid 13+ year contracts hopefully they can get rid of the frontloading also.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
No, because other teams would have to deal with the same issues. There would still be a cap.
So does the NBA, and as you may have noticed players are flocking to the top/marque teams while the bottom/less desirable teams all get worse. Teams like New Orleans and Milwaukee are eventually going to have to trade their franchise players before they leave via free agency.

Reactions: PWJunior

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The disparity in state tax laws should also addressed. Have a moving adjustment as well. Teams in no or low tax (TX, Fla) vs. High tax NY, CA and Canada.

Yeah good luck with that one. And really only Tampa has benefited from that because they’re good. Nobody has really been knocking the door down to sign in Dallas or with the Panthers. It’ll really only be an advantage when those teams are running well

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
So does the NBA, and as you may have noticed players are flocking to the top/marque teams while the bottom/less desirable teams all get worse. Teams like New Orleans and Milwaukee are eventually going to have to trade their franchise players before they leave via free agency.

Doesn't the NBA have a soft cap?

It's also different because a single player makes such a difference. Gretzky didn't get his teams to the finals every year like LeBron does.

Some teams have major advantages over others when it comes to free agency.

Right, but they can't sign everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig