Islanders General Rumour, Trade, FA, & Waiver Speculation 2018-19 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
starting to think as painful as it will be to wait, we would be better off waiting for Dobson. He looks like a real good one, and a winner

I remember watching the #10 pick very closely with Wahlstrom/Dobson/Bouchard all on the board to see what direction Edmonton would head in after the Rags picked. Something Chia said stuck with me after he took Bouchard, paraphrasing here but he's seen how hard it is to trade for young, quality defense, so he's going to draft and develop what he needs instead.

The Islanders need to take the same approach with Wahlstrom & Dobson moving forward. Other fanbases will ask for Wahlstrom+Dobson+Pulock+1st for players of Duchene's & Trouba's calibers and insist our young assets are nothing special.

The chance you have the next Juolevi is worth it for the chance you have the next McAvoy/Provorov.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Leddy is our only legitimate top-4 LHD. It's him and an army of bottom pairing guys. We look much better at RD so we upgrade our strength making our weakness even weaker?

Hickey as our top pairing LD is going to be great.

The wording of my post was clumsy...

I think the main point to take away from my post is that I’m not too keen on trading for Trouba.

The second is what then would a Trouba deal possibly look like with regards to filling the Jets needs? Again, not so much that the Isles should do it anyway.

Finally, it depends on what the Isles are trying to accomplish this year?

If it’s to still try and compete. Then a second deal would still be required to bring in a LHD or sign one (Hamhuis, Klefbom, Ryan Murray etc). Traditionally, a little easier to acquire than RHD

If it’s to retool/rebuild. Then maybe you acquire the asset you think is a best long term core solution and not worry too much where it weakens you... Find a fix later.

Ultimate verdict: Don’t see a workable deal for Trouba anyway.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I remember watching the #10 pick very closely with Wahlstrom/Dobson/Bouchard all on the board to see what direction Edmonton would head in after the Rags picked. Something Chia said stuck with me after he took Bouchard, paraphrasing here but he's seen how hard it is to trade for young, quality defense, so he's going to draft and develop what he needs instead.

The Islanders need to take the same approach with Wahlstrom & Dobson moving forward. Other fanbases will ask for Wahlstrom+Dobson+Pulock+1st for players of Duchene's & Trouba's calibers and insist our young assets are nothing special.

The chance you have the next Juolevi is worth it for the chance you have the next McAvoy/Provorov.

Making trades like that is pure idiotic asset management, Milbury-esque dumbassery.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Maybe Brodin becomes available? The Wild are awfully close to the cap, and have key players to re-sign.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
With the 1st overall pick in the 2020 draft, the Minnesota Wild are proud to select Alex LaFreniere...

"The Toronto Maple Leafs trade John Tavares in exchange for.. WAIT A MINUTE!! THAT'S GARTH SNOW!! BY GOD ALMIGHTY GARTH SNOW IS TRADING FOR JOHN TAVARES... OH MY GOD!! HE HAS A RANGER JERSEY ON! TAVARES HAS SHAKEN HANDS WITH SATAN HIMSELF!"

Give me some likes Isles fans for the WWE reference. I'm sure the Leaf fans will give me likes three weeks from now.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Maybe Brodin becomes available? The Wild are awfully close to the cap, and have key players to re-sign.

Looks like Minnesota is fine this season. 24 players signed with only Zucker left to sign(5M under the cap). Looks like the only problem they will have is which 2 guys do they send down to start the season

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
With the 1st overall pick in the 2020 draft, the Minnesota Wild are proud to select Alex LaFreniere...

Oh c’mon. I know you’re all about a rebuild PW ;), but they won’t suck enough the next two seasons. LL and Trotz have both been on record that they want to be competitive during this transition period.

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY
I know they are different eras now and the game has changed considerably since the late 1990s, but talent wise what can we expect from our roster as it stands currently, relative to the expansion Predators team that Trotz coached in 98/99?

In taking a quick look at their roster I feel like the current Islanders team has more talent than the Nashville team Trotz coached to a better record than 3 other NHL teams (including the 98/99 Islanders team of course). My point being, that I believe a Trotz lead team would be hard pressed to finish last overall. If we get the first overall pick and a shot at Jack Hughes, I would suspect that it would more likely come via lottery luck than a last place finish.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Looks like Minnesota is fine this season. 24 players signed with only Zucker left to sign(5M under the cap). Looks like the only problem they will have is which 2 guys do they send down to start the season
I thought we would see more turnover on that Minn roster. There was a rumor that the front office was unhappy that they have not been much of a post season threat

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I thought we would see more turnover on that Minn roster. There was a rumor that the front office was unhappy that they have not been much of a post season threat
Yeah they’re in trouble and i’m not sure there’s a way out aside from trading a few assets for futures and hoping for the best.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
They are stuck on the hamster wheel of mediocrity. The situation I want to try and avoid with this team.

Makes me think of this team's years in 03, 04, 07. Couple good moments, mostly mediocre. Sprint to get into the playoffs and get destroyed in the first round.

Reactions: IODCPiper

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Although there has been little movement in the form of top free agents for NYI we were handcuffed by he whos name shall not be spoken and I know many here want the cup ASAP I understand. But this year things seem to be falling our way LL,BT and then the draft the hockey gods smiled on us and things broke our way.Yes I’m aware prospects are just that but it seems we may have something special in more than just a couple of these kids.Tough to sell the fans on patanice but I love the idea of a fast young talented cost controlled group with a continuous flow of talent comming from a well run minor league system. I for one would be upset if the cupboard was cleaned out for a player who seems to find his way into the spotlight for always being disgruntled.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
LOL I misread twitter and thought Brendan Burke had married Shannon Hogan

Reactions: SI90

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
When you guys get around to doing your season predictions thread, based on the posts in this thread I think I'm probably going to be one of the more optimistic predictions posted. :laugh:

Reactions: SI90

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
They are stuck on the hamster wheel of mediocrity. The situation I want to try and avoid with this team.
Take this from me as I am an expert on this subject (check my user name): trying to fail your way into success is an INCREDIBLY dangerous game to play. The Sabres failed their way into the gift of Jack Eichel, an absolute bonafied franchise level center. As matters have developed there is a great chance he won't play a single meaningful NHL game until the seventh (!) season of his career (and that's if the current GM's plan goes 100% perfect). Unless you have absolutely no hope whatsoever trying to lose in a league and sport as completely random and unpredictable as the NHL is a real bad idea. Because you know what is worse than being on a hamster wheel of mediocrity? Being on a hamster wheel of terrible with no joy whatsoever praying for ping pong balls to save you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad