Islanders General Rumour, Trade, FA, & Waiver Speculation 2018-19 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
That is true the Karlsson/Hoffman thing had nothing to do with him... but damn was Colorado good when he left, ... I am hoping we see the same thing with us, McKinnon became elite when Duchene was gone, Barzal can be elite maybe without Judas, well Barzal was probably elite last year...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why did Colorado flourish with him gone, it was like a switch went off and that team was top notch and all they did was lose Duchene?

Colorado was 8-6 at the time of the trade. It's not like they were terrible, got rid of Duchene, then went on a tremendous run.

As for why MacKinnon, specifically, took off. It could very well be because now he had the best two linemates on the team, he got all the prime ice time, and he's a talented kid who was bound to break out any moment with or without Duchene.

Ottawa team was a bubble team barely beat out the Isles that year but they did get far in the playoffs and had a solid start to 17/18, if he is a guy that gets down on himself easily then he is bad for a team because negativity is contagious, and I am only spitting back what someone said earlier on this thread.

I just think correlating a team's success/failure to one player leads to false conclusions. I mean, the Isles missed the playoffs by 1 point two seasons ago. With Barzal on board, they missed it by 17 points. Should be draw conclusions that Barzal made them worse? Of course not. Yet that's what you're doing with Duchene and Ottawa.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Colorado was 8-6 at the time of the trade. It's not like they were terrible, got rid of Duchene, then went on a tremendous run.

As for why MacKinnon, specifically, took off. It could very well be because now he had the best two linemates on the team, he got all the prime ice time, and he's a talented kid who was bound to break out any moment with or without Duchene.

I just think correlating a team's success/failure to one player leads to false conclusions. I mean, the Isles missed the playoffs by 1 point two seasons ago. With Barzal on board, they missed it by 17 points. Should be draw conclusions that Barzal made them worse? Of course not. Yet that's what you're doing with Duchene and Ottawa.

Well Islanders factors are more like they got a bump in 16/17 with a new coach for sure, there was less of the Judas cloud over the team.... 17/18 was all about bad coaching and the Judas distraction

Colorado .. 8-6 is not NHL great, it is MLB great, NFL above average.... I watched Colorado before and after the trade and the announcers said that MacKinnon had felt more relaxed after the trade, maybe it was like PK was saying the cloud of a trade looming....

Bottom line I would struggle to deal Pelech and a 1st for Duchene at this point, I doubt he would be a great conduit replacement for Judas on the Lee/Bailey line.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Well Islanders factors are more like they got a bump in 16/17 with a new coach for sure, there was less of the Judas cloud over the team.... 17/18 was all about bad coaching and the Judas distraction

Colorado .. 8-6 is not NHL great, it is MLB great, NFL above average.... I watched Colorado before and after the trade and the announcers said that MacKinnon had felt more relaxed after the trade, maybe it was like PK was saying the cloud of a trade looming....

Bottom line I would struggle to deal Pelech and a 1st for Duchene at this point, I doubt he would be a great conduit replacement for Judas on the Lee/Bailey line.
I don't think it would cost Pelech and a first. But not sure what it would cost....

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Do you think in 2024, we will see a twitter post of Mayfield in his St Louis Blues bedsheets after signing with the Blues?

Reactions: CBG

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It’s surprising there isn’t more complaining in the media world about Lee and Eberle. I mean can you imagine if a team like the Rangers Bruins Leafs Wings Canadiens lost a guy like Tavares and had 2 more guys going to UFA the next summer? The onslaught would be relentless

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
It’s surprising there isn’t more complaining in the media world about Lee and Eberle. I mean can you imagine if a team like the Rangers Bruins Leafs Wings Canadiens lost a guy like Tavares and had 2 more guys going to UFA the next summer? The onslaught would be relentless

Isles need to focus on getting a top 4 dman somehow and then they can really look to extend players like Lee and Eberle...... I think we will score enough goals with Nelson or Beau at 2C as long as JHS is the RW on that line to gain the puck entry. But Mayfield is in the top 6 and Toews should start the year on the farm and get called up with first injury, so we need that one piece, someone like Scandella would be the right player.

A guy that might be a good trade option would be Jeff Petry if it were MDC, MVS and a 2nd. But I think a dman with 42 points will command something better.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBG

mdubs585

Jan 15, 2018
Manhattan, New York

Disagree with your "8-6 is not NHL great" angle. If you project that record over a full season it comes to 93.7 points. The Avs wound up with 95. It's not like he left and all of sudden they took it to a new level. They were essentially the same.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Disagree with your "8-6 is not NHL great" angle. If you project that record over a full season it comes to 93.7 points. The Avs wound up with 95. It's not like he left and all of sudden they took it to a new level. They were essentially the same.

this is true, but it is encouraging to see a team lose their top player, and not fall off the map. i think we can do the same, now that we have solid leadership.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Isles need to focus on getting a top 4 dman somehow and then they can really look to extend players like Lee and Eberle...... I think we will score enough goals with Nelson or Beau at 2C as long as JHS is the RW on that line to gain the puck entry. But Mayfield is in the top 6 and Toews should start the year on the farm and get called up with first injury, so we need that one piece, someone like Scandella would be the right player.

A guy that might be a good trade option would be Jeff Petry if it were MDC, MVS and a 2nd. But I think a dman with 42 points will command something better.

I'd make it a point to re-sign Lee. He's the type of guy that will still have value a la Chris Kunitz as he gets older and slides into a middle six role. He's also the guy I want as the captain.

Eberle..... that's a tough one. I know him and Barzal have chemistry but I'm not sure he is long for a Trotz led team. I could be wrong but I don't see it.

To me this is Beau and Barzal's team for the next 10 years.

Reactions: MIK55

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
this is true, but it is encouraging to see a team lose their top player, and not fall off the map. i think we can do the same, now that we have solid leadership.

I feel like Colorado fell into that chemistry with the other players which caused Mackinnon to go on that run.

He's awesome, but I'm not sure they expected that.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

They went on a run and MacKinnon was the best player in the league for the final 50 games and other guys took off.... Just don't see what Duchene would do unless it was a light deal

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I'd make it a point to re-sign Lee. He's the type of guy that will still have value a la Chris Kunitz as he gets older and slides into a middle six role. He's also the guy I want as the captain.

Eberle..... that's a tough one. I know him and Barzal have chemistry but I'm not sure he is long for a Trotz led team. I could be wrong but I don't see it.

To me this is Beau and Barzal's team for the next 10 years.

If we sign Lee and have Pulock they are part of that core... Lee is a much better Matt Moulson that is valuable, Eberle may work out Oshie worked out in Washington quite well as did Eller, but one never knows.

I think Ladd should be the captain, at first I didn't think so, but it is the right move now. Bailey is just too quiet and shy for that role, Ladd has done it, need something for him to come out of his funk

Reactions: firel28

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Oil fan coming by to propose a trade.
Bear/Jones + Benson/Samurukov
For
Bellows

You guys need D and we need skill wingers for our elite centers. You guys give up a winger and get back 2 d-men or a d-man and a lesser winger. Flame away.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
For
Bellows

You guys need D and we need skill wingers for our elite centers. You guys give up a winger and get back 2 d-men or a d-man and a lesser winger. Flame away.

Sorry, not interested. If we're packaging Bellows for a big time upgrade that's one thing, trading him for other question marks holds no appeal.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
For
Bellows

When you have to propose packaging two of your lesser prospects together for a better prospect, it's gonna be a no most of the time. When it comes to prospects, quality > quantity

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
For
Bellows

Nobody gets flamed here unless they are a Leaf fan. Also, why am I not a mod yet guys?

Reactions: PK Cronin

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
For
Bellows

How about this instead while were at some bad trades:
Brock Nelson, MDC and a 2019 2nd for RNH

Actually, Chiarelli might actually go for this

Reactions: IODCPiper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad