Islanders General Rumour, Trade, FA, & Waiver Speculation 2018-19 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

Yes. Prospect game. But look at Mayfield play this and how effortlessly JHS makes it look.

That's how skill players see our defense. Last year anyway.

On the flip side, Ho-Sang has some skills!

Man I’m a Mayfield fan and think he can become a solid bottom pairing guy, but that was just beyond brutal.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I'm all for summer optimism but I think we're forgetting just how awful this team was last year, defensively.

The defensemen were/are among the slowest in the NHL (does anyone measure that)???

Foot speed also kills them with in-zone coverage, they have zero quickness (especially Mayfield and Pelech). Their first pass is Rich Pilon-like - i.e. "not great"

I'm really worried about the defense and goaltending which will be magnified if we can't score as much.

But it's summer. No doom and gloom!

Doom and gloom is fine. We have no logical reason to think that our returning defense will be any better than it was last season. None other than that we all feel Trotz will have this team playing a much different and more defense-oriented system.

That said, despite the horrendous team defense, Hickey managed a +20 and Pelech, who got more minutes than anyone not named Leddy, managed a +7. I find those to be shockingly telling in light of the shit-show that took place this past season.

Naturally, my eye test has me seeing plenty of mistakes from both of them and recognizing that this team is simply different when Boychuk is in the line-up, which is becoming more and more seldom each season. Things really looked different after we lost de Haan, and he ain't coming back.

Then again, a lot of growing takes place when you experience what these boys experienced last season. As long as the coaching staff is working hard with these kids (i.e. lots of post-game video analysis, discussion on when and where to get rid of the puck, etc.), much can be improved upon this season, especially when the forwards aren't running around their zone like chickens with their heads cut off.

Personally, and this doesn't have to mean anything, I think the Hickey-Pulock pair really started to click over the final 20 odd games. I think everyone saw what happens when Leddy gets too much ice time and doesn't have a dependably apt defensive partner. I think we all saw that Mayfield simply isn't (yet) a top 6 defender, but can be plugged in and even makes some pretty doggone good offensive plays, but just as many boneheaded puck movements. We saw that Pelech can be a real allrounder, but also had a tendency to hold onto the puck too long and miss out on distribution channels. A shame, because he caused himself more problems than were necessary. But that is correctable.

What isn't a recipe for success is going into this season with Dmen #s 7 and 8 being Aho and Toews while you've already got Pulock, Pelech, and particularly Mayfield in top 6 roles. It's not that they don't have possibilities, but this group needs a veteran presence and it could ideally be injected with another Top 2, if not Top 4 Dman. However, I see Dobson as a future Top 3 as soon as the 2019/20 season, maybe better, and I personally believe that the improvement of the D with the addition of a Trouba/Dumba/Hamilton type is going to come at the expense of a Leddy or Boychuk (maybe not directly, but overall), and those financial concerns will need to be factored in by management.

At this juncture, I'm not sure who is available on the market. Very possible Lou already has his sites set on guys he thinks will be available on the waiver wire.

Also very possible that he's just waiting for a Hamhuis or Sbisa to become a bit more affordable, then grab them on a 1 or 2-year deal at about 2 million per.

As for the goaltending, Greiss and Lehner simply cannot be as bad as last season, right? They're the guys who need to prove things. They both are surely burning to do so. I think they're both the type of athletes who have too much pride not to want to right their own ships at the moment.

This seems like just the right season to do just that.

On paper though, our goaltending and blueline must be seen in the lowest quarter of the league. That's just being realistic.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
On paper though, our goaltending and blueline must be seen in the lowest quarter of the league. That's just being realistic.

I will point out that when we made it to the second round, this was our D:
  • Leddy
  • Boychuk
  • Hamonic
  • Hickey
  • Zidlicky
  • de Haan
  • Strait
  • Pulock
  • Pelech
  • Mayfield
And our goalies were
  • Greiss
  • Halak
  • Berube
  • Gibson
vs.

• Leddy
  • Pulock
  • Boychuk
  • Hickey
  • Mayfield
  • Pelech
  • Toews
  • Aho
  • Rathgeb
and
  • Greiss
  • Lehner
  • Gibson
  • Soderstrom
  • Skarek

Lose Hamonic, Zidlicky, de Haan, Streit, Halak and Berube
Add Toews, Aho, Rathgeb, Lehner, Soderstrom and Skarek, plus a developed Pulock and properly coached Pelech and Mayfield.

I don't know how much of a step down this is, especially with nearly 15 million in cap space and months until the season starts.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
That said, despite the horrendous team defense, Hickey managed a +20 and Pelech, who got more minutes than anyone not named Leddy, managed a +7. I find those to be shockingly telling in light of the ****-show that took place this past season.

Is there a way to track who played with whom? Couldn't find it on Corsica hockey. My suspicion is that those guys played a ton with the Barzal line, or in 3rd vs 3rd or 4th vs 4th line situations.

Going by plus minus just seems an awful idea with last year's team. If we go by that, we should improve with JT's loss, and Leddy is the worst player on the team. You can't consider it a significant indication in the case of Pelech and not consider it with respect to the other players unless you can find a compelling contextual explanation.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I will point out that when we made it to the second round, this was our D:
  • Leddy
  • Boychuk
  • Hamonic
  • Hickey
  • Zidlicky
  • de Haan
  • Strait
  • Pulock
  • Pelech
  • Mayfield
And our goalies were
  • Greiss
  • Halak
  • Berube
  • Gibson
vs.

• Leddy
  • Pulock
  • Boychuk
  • Hickey
  • Mayfield
  • Pelech
  • Toews
  • Aho
  • Rathgeb
and
  • Greiss
  • Lehner
  • Gibson
  • Soderstrom
  • Skarek

Lose Hamonic, Zidlicky, de Haan, Streit, Halak and Berube
Add Toews, Aho, Rathgeb, Lehner, Soderstrom and Skarek, plus a developed Pulock and properly coached Pelech and Mayfield.

I don't know how much of a step down this is, especially with nearly 15 million in cap space and months until the season starts.

They have never replaced Viz (realize he is not on the list). IMO, the D has never been the same.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Is there a way to track who played with whom? Couldn't find it on Corsica hockey. My suspicion is that those guys played a ton with the Barzal line, or in 3rd vs 3rd or 4th vs 4th line situations.

Going by plus minus just seems an awful idea with last year's team. If we go by that, we should improve with JT's loss, and Leddy is the worst player on the team. You can't consider it a significant indication in the case of Pelech and not consider it with respect to the other players unless you can find a compelling contextual explanation.

Yep, +/- only means so much. Naturally.

But it tells us more than if we DIDN'T have it.

Leddy played more than anybody. He had a miserable +/-. As did Lee and Bailey, who played less, but often with Leddy behind them. Almost amazing that Tavares was "only" -12 in light of what the others had. Then again, we saw a TON of turnovers from that line at many junctures in the season and there were a number of odd-man rushes against Leddy and his partners in the process.

But in light of the astronomical amount of goals against that we allowed, it's hard to believe that Pelech and especially Hickey go through the season with the +/- ratings they had.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
But in light of the astronomical amount of goals against that we allowed, it's hard to believe that Pelech and especially Hickey go through the season with the +/- ratings they had.

The fact that NYI gave up 11 SHG (with Leddy and those forwards on the ice for all of them, I suspect) means something for +/-, as does the fact that +/- doesn't cover PPGA. Pelech was a bad PK'er last year, and considering that's a lot of his job as a defensive defender, that matters.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The fact that NYI gave up 11 SHG (with Leddy and those forwards on the ice for all of them, I suspect) means something for +/-, as does the fact that +/- doesn't cover PPGA. Pelech was a bad PK'er last year, and considering that's a lot of his job as a defensive defender, that matters.

True. +/- means nothing for PP and PK.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
No, it's an even strength stat.

Actually, I just found it. SHG for and against does count:

A player is awarded a "plus" each time he is on the ice when his Club scores an even-strength or shorthanded goal. He receives a "minus" if he is on the ice for an even-strength or shorthanded goal scored by the opposing Club. The difference in these numbers is considered the player's "plus-minus" statistic.

Source: Go Figure | NHL.com - NHL Headquarters

Last edited:
Reactions: macleod50

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Interesting note from Staple today in his article on Pulock/Lee/Eberle:

He stated that compliance buyouts are a 'sure thing' for the next CBA. I tried to ask him how many and who the Isles would target but he didn't answer. I'd assume Laad is gone and maybe 1 more (clutter?).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

He stated that compliance buyouts are a 'sure thing' for the next CBA. I tried to ask him how many and who the Isles would target but he didn't answer. I'd assume Laad is gone and maybe 1 more (clutter?).

Clutterbuck isn't worth it if there is another option. He could be moved if necessary I think.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

Boychuk could be a pile of battered bones by then.

Reactions: Riseonfire

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Doom and gloom is fine. We have no logical reason to think that our returning defense will be any better than it was last season. None other than that we all feel Trotz will have this team playing a much different and more defense-oriented system.

That said, despite the horrendous team defense, Hickey managed a +20 and Pelech, who got more minutes than anyone not named Leddy, managed a +7. I find those to be shockingly telling in light of the ****-show that took place this past season.

Naturally, my eye test has me seeing plenty of mistakes from both of them and recognizing that this team is simply different when Boychuk is in the line-up, which is becoming more and more seldom each season. Things really looked different after we lost de Haan, and he ain't coming back.

Then again, a lot of growing takes place when you experience what these boys experienced last season. As long as the coaching staff is working hard with these kids (i.e. lots of post-game video analysis, discussion on when and where to get rid of the puck, etc.), much can be improved upon this season, especially when the forwards aren't running around their zone like chickens with their heads cut off.

Personally, and this doesn't have to mean anything, I think the Hickey-Pulock pair really started to click over the final 20 odd games. I think everyone saw what happens when Leddy gets too much ice time and doesn't have a dependably apt defensive partner. I think we all saw that Mayfield simply isn't (yet) a top 6 defender, but can be plugged in and even makes some pretty doggone good offensive plays, but just as many boneheaded puck movements. We saw that Pelech can be a real allrounder, but also had a tendency to hold onto the puck too long and miss out on distribution channels. A shame, because he caused himself more problems than were necessary. But that is correctable.

What isn't a recipe for success is going into this season with Dmen #s 7 and 8 being Aho and Toews while you've already got Pulock, Pelech, and particularly Mayfield in top 6 roles. It's not that they don't have possibilities, but this group needs a veteran presence and it could ideally be injected with another Top 2, if not Top 4 Dman. However, I see Dobson as a future Top 3 as soon as the 2019/20 season, maybe better, and I personally believe that the improvement of the D with the addition of a Trouba/Dumba/Hamilton type is going to come at the expense of a Leddy or Boychuk (maybe not directly, but overall), and those financial concerns will need to be factored in by management.

At this juncture, I'm not sure who is available on the market. Very possible Lou already has his sites set on guys he thinks will be available on the waiver wire.

Also very possible that he's just waiting for a Hamhuis or Sbisa to become a bit more affordable, then grab them on a 1 or 2-year deal at about 2 million per.

As for the goaltending, Greiss and Lehner simply cannot be as bad as last season, right? They're the guys who need to prove things. They both are surely burning to do so. I think they're both the type of athletes who have too much pride not to want to right their own ships at the moment.

This seems like just the right season to do just that.

Very good post, and exactly how it all seems, we need one vet dman to push people down on the depth chart like Mayfield for sure.

Goalies will be much better and that is one thing I can say is a given, we won't be under siege with shots.

Hickey has gotten better over the years, his numbers are reflecting that.

Pelech needs some tweaks he will be good

Pulock and Hickey like you said clicked at the end.

When signing a vet it will be determining if that vet is better than having Mayfield out there.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Before anyone goes nuts, what i'm about to post is NOT from a reliable source, but i thought it would be worth discussing...

Eberle for Zajac
Parise + 1st for Nelson + Lee
Donskoi for MVS & 3rd or 4th

Jagr & Stafford on camp tryouts...

Apparently these are scenarios Lou has discussed...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Before anyone goes nuts, what i'm about to post is NOT from a reliable source, but i thought it would be worth discussing...

Eberle for Zajac

Is Lou trying to re-create his old New Jersey squad?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

Eberle for Zajac

Too much sun today?

Reactions: ndgolden

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Eberle for Zajac

Does Lou realize Parise is a shell of his former self and has a terrible contract.?
I honestly would not want him off waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad