Islanders General Rumour, Trade, FA, & Waiver Speculation 2018-19 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
If the defense stands as it is today, with Trotz on board could be serviceable. Not going to really going to make a massive improvement, but I don't think they look as bad as last year.

I also think a healthy Toews will surprise a lot of folks.

Reactions: leeroggy

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Basically right now I expect:
Leddy-Boychuk
Hickey-Pulock
Pelech/Toews-Mayfield

I can say for sure that the majority if not all of our posters have written in the not so distant past that they could live with Hickey on the 3rd pair or insisted he not be re-signed this summer. Many probably both. Did he become any better since the season ended?
This D is not good . Boychuk will continfue to miss 20-30 games . When that happens Hickey might just be our shutdown guy. Yikes.
Why will Toews be an instant success? He will struggle I am sure. When Toews needs to be sit out combined with Boychuk missing a couple chunks of the season all leads to Mayfield getting 55-65 games. Much of the season may look like this.

Leddy - Pelech
Hickey - pulock
Mayfield - Aho

Either way this is not good.
Not too long ago we had Streit,Gervais,Freddy Meyer, and Jack Hillen all play at least 64 games with guys like Andrew Macdonald,Dylan Reese, and Dustin Kohn filling in the rest amongst others.Is our D today any better ?
LGI

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
If the defense stands as it is today, with Trotz on board could be serviceable. Not going to really going to make a massive improvement, but I don't think they look as bad as last year.

I have high hopes for Toews and look forward to seeing him, with that being said, I think the NHL is more likely to surprise him then he is to surprise us. He hasn't logged a single NHL regular season minute so I am not counting on him to be a game changer.

If he has adapted to the pace and skill level by the end of the season, that will be great. I know the league is getting younger but a good blueline is all about experience. To still roll 3 or 4 of Aho,Pelech,Pulock,Mayfield, Toews on a nightly basis is lunacy if you have playoff aspirations.

I'm all for getting them experience and with injuries inevitable, it is a damn shame the blueline is comprised of Leddy, Hickey, Boychuk (who will not play a full season) and a bunch of rookies/sophomores. Hamonic created a VOID that wasn't filled, CdH created a VOID that is yet to be filled. That is part of the reason why the Islanders were so poor defensively - becaused they've phased out guys with 300+ NHL games under their belt and replaced them with rookies.

Without an addition, it is likely we will see 4 of Hickey, Pelech, Pulock, Mayfield, Aho, Toews in the line up at the same time. Hopefully Trotz system is one they can buy into and execute because what I see is a young group, some of which have tremendous potential that will be in over their heads.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I did one of my many mock lineups a while back and had Toews on the second pairing on opening night. Now, I don't think that is likely to happen, but I could see it happening. He's too talented compared to the likes of Mayfield and Pelech.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

I guess he IS like de Haan. A healthy Calvin always surprised me.

Reactions: IODCPiper

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I did one of my many mock lineups a while back and had Toews on the second pairing on opening night. Now, I don't think that is likely to happen, but I could see it happening. He's too talented compared to the likes of Mayfield and Pelech.

We need someone significantly more talented then them if we want to compete for a playoff spot. I am interested in seeing his raw skills, I still think he is going to have a steep learning curve - his speed should help him make up for mistakes that need to happen for him to grow as a player.

I like him in the fold for the long haul, but I'm definitely not buying Snow's bull story that a healthy Toews last year when CdH went down would've made the big difference for the club. I don't think he's going to be an impact now guy - but I understand he needs experience and he needs to get that as a NY Islander.

I am glad he will debut under the new regime with Trotz calling the shots. That in itself is refreshing.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Do not bring that proposal up to Oiler fans. They think RNH's 45-55 pts are worth a package centered around Dobson or Wahlstrom. Got very pissy in a recent thread. Reminded me of the Hamonic to Edmonton threads :popcorn:
Isless add a 4th and nelson

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I can say for sure that the majority if not all of our posters have written in the not so distant past that they could live with Hickey on the 3rd pair or insisted he not be re-signed this summer. Many probably both. Did he become any better since the season ended?
This D is not good . Boychuk will continfue to miss 20-30 games . When that happens Hickey might just be our shutdown guy. Yikes.
Why will Toews be an instant success? He will struggle I am sure. When Toews needs to be sit out combined with Boychuk missing a couple chunks of the season all leads to Mayfield getting 55-65 games. Much of the season may look like this.

Leddy - Pelech
Hickey - pulock
Mayfield - Aho

Not too long ago we had Streit,Gervais,Freddy Meyer, and Jack Hillen all play at least 64 games with guys like Andrew Macdonald,Dylan Reese, and Dustin Kohn filling in the rest amongst others.Is our D today any better ?
LGI
I look at it from the optimistic point of view. We all have seen Leddy play a whole lot better than last year to extent he is a top pair defenseman. Boychuk health will determine a lot but with Pulock, Toews, Aho knocking on door there is at least upside and potential there. All three ar energy age NHL defenseman puck movers who can skate.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'd feel a whole lot better about the defense if someone like Hamhuis is signed relegating Mayfield to spot starting duty. What they really need though is two top 4 D to replace both Hamonic and CDH, and taking into account for the inevitable regression of Boychuk. A healthy team rotates in young D on the bottom pairing until they prove they can handle more minutes. The Islanders are going to thrust a bunch of kids into important roles on D with no idea if they are capable of handling it yet.

Reactions: xECK29x

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if Toews makes the team out of camp and becomes a top four by mid-season at the latest. Not because he's the next Roman Josi, but because the Isles defense is just awful. I know fans get on Hickey as much as they used to get on Bailey but Hickey's probably the 3rd best defenseman on this team (and was last year).

I like him as a 3rd pair, a lot. As a top four? No.

Isles need Toews to emerge as a Nate Schmidt type - fast.

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
I'd feel a whole lot better about the defense if someone like Hamhuis is signed relegating Mayfield to spot starting duty. What they really need though is two top 4 D to replace both Hamonic and CDH, and taking into account for the inevitable regression of Boychuk. A healthy team rotates in young D on the bottom pairing until they prove they can handle more minutes. The Islanders are going to thrust a bunch of kids into important roles on D with no idea if they are capable of handling it yet.
If the old regime was still in charge I’d agree with this, but with Trotz now behind the bench I think he’s going to take it slow with the younger guys. Our younger guys are not just going be thrown to the wolves anymore.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

This is what they did last season and we saw how that played out. Since getting the "#1 D" is pretty much a fantasy and nothing more at this point, I'd also feel much better going into the season if Lou added someone who is a solid #3 or #4 with 300+ games experience to stabilize the blueline.

What that costs us? Who Knows, but the dust has not settled and I believe Lamoriello that the on ice product will be competitive, at the moment it's hard to discern whether this is a masterpiece in progress and he has some grand trick up his sleeves or if this a tanking mission. It's only July and I agree with you 100%, playing 3 or 4 of these guys a night is a recipe for disaster.

The Isles have a tendency to go to extremes, I remember us up in arms when it seemed liked all the youth blueliners were buried in Bridgeport while Strait logged minutes. Well, now they've taken the opposite approach - take 3-4 guys who all played in Bridgeport last year and put them all out there together in the NHL.

There should a balance in between these two approaches. I find myself getting frustrated but then remember Lou is calling the shots, it makes discussion here more productive and civil since I feel the frustration of Snow and overall hopelessness brought out the worst in people sometimes. Let's remember, this is not Garth Snow. Lou will make some more moves before opening night, I have confidence in him.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

In what is likely a rebuilding season, it's probably not a bad thing if the kids are evaluated in a sink or swim manner. Yeah they're kids, but we need to know what we have in them as we move forward.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Hamhuis is likely looking for term on the west coast.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
If the old regime was still in charge I’d agree with this, but with Trotz now behind the bench I think he’s going to take it slow with the younger guys. Our younger guys are not just going be thrown to the wolves anymore.[/QUOTE]

Heres the thing, they maybe by default.

You have Boychuk, who has has gone from 75GP to 72GP to 70GP to 66GP to 55GP in his last 5 seasons.

You have Leddy, who is seemingly lost without Boychuk.

You have Hickey, who is serviceable 5/6.

Thats it. If god forbid, one or more of the aforementioned guys is down for significant time - your looking at 3 or 4 of Pelech, Pulock, Toews, Mayfield, Aho logging major minutes. So Trotz can have the purest intentions in the world but if he doesn't have the personnel to deploy, he will have to throw these guys to the Wolves. Hopefully, strong defensive play from our forward group mitigates the consequences of rolling a blue line that is so green, you might as well call it the green line.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
The Seattle Americans have announced Kelly Buchberger is their new head coach.

Isles' office roster has been updated. Gomez, Braithwaite and Terreri remain, along with Trotz and Lambert.

mdubs585

Jan 15, 2018
Manhattan, New York
If the old regime was still in charge I’d agree with this, but with Trotz now behind the bench I think he’s going to take it slow with the younger guys. Our younger guys are not just going be thrown to the wolves anymore.

I think the opposite, actually. He's going to play the best lineup regardless of tenure. The Capitals had six rookies in the everyday lineup this past season and won The Cup.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The Capitals had six rookies in the everyday lineup this past season and won The Cup.

Can this talking point please be put in perspective. If you look at games played in the finals only 3 rookies played more then 3 games and a all 3 of them were seasoned AHLers

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Basically right now I expect:
Leddy-Boychuk
Hickey-Pulock
Pelech/Toews-Mayfield

Lots of time to add another player to the blueline...

Hamhuis has a history with Trotz and is coming off a 24 point season. He'd be the headiest of vets out there.

Sbisa is still a fairly young vet, had 14 points in 30 games for Vegas, and has been a fairly solid Dman in his career.

If the team wants EVEN MORE toughness, Emelin is on the market. Throw him in the mix and we'll REALLY be a team no-one wants to play.

I assume none of these guys have been signed yet primarily because no-one wants to pay them what they've been receiving up to this point in time. Eventually they'll bend on their $$$ demands.

This said, Hickey and Pulock thrived over the last 20 some games of this past season. Whether pair 2 or 3, it's worth seeing them stay together for the time being.

What I don't agree with much anymore is having Leddy with Boychuk. I'd hope Leddy-Mayfield/Toews and Pelech/Boychuk pairings will be explored. Naturally something else if someone else is brought in.

Nonetheless, it will not only be interesting to see if Toews is in the picture this fall after that shoulder injury, but whether Aho and even Burroughs are going to make a huge pitch to throw their names into the cap. I hope they do. After his debut last season, I'd like to think that Aho has been spending this summer doing everything he can to round out the physical aspect of his build, in which he was clearly still in a phase of being outmuscled. We shouldn't forget that when he was sent back to the AHL to end the season, he had something like 8 points in 10 games. He was brimming with confidence. As for Burroughs, we are talking about a 6 foot, 200 lbs. Dman who has been rounding out into a defensive Dman. A +10 and +16 in the past two seasons coupled with 24 and 25 points shows an impressive consistency. He's also put up 116 and 99 penalty minutes, so he's involved.

One way or the other, if Leddy is not traded, and I doubt he will be at this point, he needs to rebound in a very big way. He won't go near last season's +/- - not under Trotz - but we need him to also step up to the plate in all three zones. We need his marches into the offensive zone to end up in good shots, dangerously good passes, or the set-up of offensive zone time. We need him to be positionally sound in our zone with the type of ice time that allows his talents to prevail.

A Leddy who can go 12-35-45 AND +15 next season will be absolutely necessary if we're to make the playoffs!

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
LGI

Oh yes, MUCH better!

Light and day difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad