Islanders bold predictions

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I wanted to reply-

Totally respect your POV on the construction of the team and there are parts that I agree with, but your overall outlook I do not.

Positives -

I believe having a full season of Weight is an improvement over Capuano. No one is expecting weight to go 24-12 in the first 36 games.

Eberle is an improvement over Strome. My hope is that he can help the PP and secondary scoring. I do not believe we are getting a 60 point producer, but 20+ goals and 45 points sure.

No 3 goalie carousel. Halak and Greiss can be formidable.

Losing Hamonic's character hurts, but he struggled last season - much may be attributed to his personal life or injuries. But losing Hammer creates space for the young d men like Pulock Pelech and even Toews- who may surprise everyone

Hopefully, Ladd starts the season more comfortable and healthy. Although, I feel like he is more of bottom 6 these days.

You also have Lee who established himself last season as a top 6 guy - you have 66 too - who may develop into an impact player on this squad - I think he can win the Calder

The 2C is still an issue but if Nelson can fill in until Barzal is ready- this team is at worst a bubble team - better than the Devils, Sabres, Red wings, and Panthers

And right there with the flyers, Senators, hurricanes, Maple Leafs, and Bruins

I see some of your points, I don't think Weight is a better coach than Capuano, he plays to the offense, Cappy plays to the defense, so Weight's teams are more exciting but highly volatile... while Cappy's teams tend to fight hahd to score goals

Eberle is an improvement on Strome but sadly I think even Stephen Gionta is an upgrade over the version of Strome we were getting. Eberle is going to make Chimera's goal hanging seem unnoticeable.. Eberle is a goal scorer, we have a lot of them, he doesn't shut players down

The goalie carousel is not there, that is an asset

We did not have Hammer last year and that hurt us more than anything... we won't have him this year, and we don't have a defenseman on the roster that will do what Hammer did years prior to this year, we need that player especially carrying weak defensive players like Hickey, Mayfield and probably Pulock

Ladd is a bottom 6 guy and if on a line with Quine will get 20 goals again, sadly Quine will play few minutes this year

Lee will get 40 goals, he is a stud. JHS is nice but he is going to get pushed around with no one to stop it.

2C - hmm, I don't think that contributes to the team going down that much... Nelson, Beau or Barzal will be OK

I think Leafs and Canes will be near the top of the conf, I expect CBJ to come down to earth this year and TBL will falter a bit... Isles finish 13th in conference

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I'm amazed at some of these negative predictions. Perhaps I'm overvaluing the talent level of our roster but I just don't see this team not making the playoffs.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Here is some sunshine

Isles win RFP - it is announced on Xmas day!

Isles and State expedite the environmental requirements and break ground on May 21 - my birthday!

91 signs an 8/90+m on June 30

Ho-Sang wins the Calder and finishes the season on the top line with 91

Dal Colle scores 30 at Bridgeport

Barzal is the leading scorer in the AHL before he is called up and stays for the rest of the year

Pulock is a revelation on the PP- and is actually holding his own defensively

Toews is one of the best d men at camp forces Isles to trade Hickey before opening season.

Greiss and Halak form a formidable duo

Weight's implements a more aggressive system - that generates more shots and team possession soars from last season.

The team is the healthiest team in the league

Calgary is one of the worst teams out in the western conference due to their goaltending and decide to sell at the deadline falling further in the standings

Leddy is a legit Norris trophy candidate

Isles finish in second place with 110 points.

Prospect sunshine
Aho is an AHL all star
Bellows scores 30+ goals for Portland

Soderstrom and Sorokin are voted the two best goalies not playing in the NHL

Isles are the darling of the league

Isles make a run to the Stanley cup - getting to the conference finals - every round is filled with drama and isles madness spreads across the city.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Here is some sunshine

Isles win RFP - it is announced on Xmas day!

Isles and State expedite the environmental requirements and break ground on May 21 - my birthday!

91 signs an 8/90+m on June 30

Ho-Sang wins the Calder and finishes the season on the top line with 91

Dal Colle scores 30 at Bridgeport

Barzal is the leading scorer in the AHL before he is called up and stays for the rest of the year

Pulock is a revelation on the PP- and is actually holding his own defensively

Toews is one of the best d men at camp forces Isles to trade Hickey before opening season.

Greiss and Halak form a formidable duo

Weight's implements a more aggressive system - that generates more shots and team possession soars from last season.

The team is the healthiest team in the league

Calgary is one of the worst teams out in the western conference due to their goaltending and decide to sell at the deadline falling further in the standings

Leddy is a legit Norris trophy candidate

Isles finish in second place with 110 points.

Prospect sunshine
Aho is an AHL all star
Bellows scores 30+ goals for Portland

Soderstrom and Sorokin are voted the two best goalies not playing in the NHL

Isles are the darling of the league

Isles make a run to the Stanley cup - getting to the conference finals - every round is filled with drama and isles madness spreads across the city.

That is pretty sunny, I think Calgary will be weak this year, I have to root for them to lose a lot

There would have to be a lot of luck for this stuff to come true LOL, injuries are luck, JHS winning Calder would be like that Grabner year where he came close,

Despite my negative feeling on this team, he is my added sunshine LOL

Kulemin in contract year becomes 2nd line left wing and pops 30 goals

Pelech becomes a top pairing dman with a plus 20 rating

Isles strike a deal with Eisenhower Park and break ground on new arena in the park

JT signs max deal on Christmas

Thomas Hickey is traded to the Vancouver Canucks for Travis Green's old #39 jersey

Alan Quine becomes the 3rd line center and gets 30 points and leads the PK

Shane Prince has setbacks and does not suit up this year

Luke Richardson holds a Fight Club for the dmen in the Barclays basement to toughen up the blue line

Butch Goring, retires after a shift where Pulock and Pelech are paired together against Polak

Devon Toews gets called up when Boychuk gets hurt and never looks back

Isles acquire Henrik Zetterberg at the trade deadline while leading the Eastern Conference

Jack Capuano opens up a sausage shop at Barclay's center, Burpin Jack's

Rangers battle Red Wings for the basement of the conference

Isles give up 7 goals a game to the Canes... but score 8 per game against them

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
JHS will be nominated for Calder
Ladd scores 27 Goals
JT Scores 37 Goals
Nelson scores 26 Goals
Barzal Scores his first goal in his 3rd game played
At some point this year, JHS will get a hat trick
If Leddy exceeds 60 points, we will make the playoffs..if Leddy gets less than 60 points, we don't make the playoffs.
Goaltending will be our major concern this year out of all the positions
We trade NO ONE at the TDL
AT LEAST 2 players will walk come the end of the season
Sebastien Aho will impress
Pelech will average 16.5 minutes per game
Zeeker will have another career year
Clutterbuck declines
Kool Lemon gets 37 points
Bailey gets 49 Points
MDC gets his first point in his first game

These are my BOLD predictions!

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I just don't see how the Islanders' playoff chances hinge on Leddy doing something he's never done.

I totally get what you are thinking. The reason I said this is that if the situation/environment is right enough, Leddy should be able to do more than 60 points. If things fall in place and the gears are rolling and we have a strong year, this means that if Leddy can succeed that much, the rest of the team must be playing well and this is why I suggested that if he has a year where he gets more than 60, then we will have a playoff year. If we play average or how people expect us to play, then Leddy won't reach his mark and the team doesn't reach their mark.

Right now, (non-Islander fans and analysts) people believe that the Isles are not going to make the playoffs...mostly to do with our stupid deep Metro Division, but that is how we are seen from outsiders...a sorta fringe playoff team that will come close, but won't go over the top to get into post season play.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I totally get what you are thinking. The reason I said this is that if the situation/environment is right enough, Leddy should be able to do more than 60 points. If things fall in place and the gears are rolling and we have a strong year, this means that if Leddy can succeed that much, the rest of the team must be playing well and this is why I suggested that if he has a year where he gets more than 60, then we will have a playoff year. If we play average or how people expect us to play, then Leddy won't reach his mark and the team doesn't reach their mark.

Right now, (non-Islander fans and analysts) people believe that the Isles are not going to make the playoffs...mostly to do with our stupid deep Metro Division, but that is how we are seen from outsiders...a sorta fringe playoff team that will come close, but won't go over the top to get into post season play.

Yeah, that's kinda how I see things too.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
My bold predictions:
- The D will be fine and people will notice that Pelech, Toews, and even Aho are making others expendable by the 2018-19 season. Still, I expect Pulock to have the hardest time playing "NHL" hockey.
- The goaltending will be slightly above average and will keep us in more games than not.
- Our goalscoring will be in the top 35% of the league seeing the team pose five 20 goal scorers and ten players with 20 or more assists.
- The team will improve its special teams, but only be average in league comparison. Still, Eberle will be the biggest enhancement to the PP while Cizikas will be our automatic go-to on the PK.
- The Islanders will garner the 8th playoff seed in the East due primarily to the team winning 20 of its first 35 games.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Here's a Saturday morning bump.
Just went out to get bagels and snow is falling ( no not Garth)
Just about half the season played,
1 more game before 2018.
Just read through the thread .Its a quick read .
A few chuckles and a few spot on .

LGI

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
1. I think the team is going to finish in the bottom 5 teams in the league, the defense is really bad now, aging players, Hickey, etc...

2. Kulemin scores 20 goals in his first 50 games in a contract year and is dealt for a 1st rounder at the deadline to Los Angeles.

3. JT is not dealt at the deadline, but signs with Philadelphia of all teams

4. Toews gets called up and does well, after we deal CDH to St Louis at the deadline.

5. Isles will be in less than 8 fights during the year

6. Isles will give up 7 or more goals in at least 10 games

7. Eberle doesn't get 40 points

8. Despite bad season Weight and Snow remain

Darn I wasn't too far off, Kulmein and CDH got hurt so those prophesies did not come true

They give up 6 or more goals in more than 10 games

Eberle is on pace for more than 40 but that will change

#8 will ring true

No fights... darn didn't take a genius to figure this out

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Darn I wasn't too far off, Kulmein and CDH got hurt so those prophesies did not come true

They give up 6 or more goals in more than 10 games

Eberle is on pace for more than 40 but that will change

#8 will ring true

No fights... darn didn't take a genius to figure this out

Weren't too far off?

1. I think the team is going to finish in the bottom 5 teams in the league, the defense is really bad now, aging players, Hickey, etc...

Despite being terrible, this still isn't true or close to being true.

2. Kulemin scores 20 goals in his first 50 games in a contract year and is dealt for a 1st rounder at the deadline to Los Angeles.

Kulemin had 1 goal in his 13 games, which isn't even close to the pace you predicted.

3. JT is not dealt at the deadline, but signs with Philadelphia of all teams

Too early to call.

4. Toews gets called up and does well, after we deal CDH to St Louis at the deadline.

Toews hasn't been called up and de Haan hasn't been traded. There's no way something didn't happen can be considered "close" to happening in this scenario.

5. Isles will be in less than 8 fights during the year

They've been in 7 fights already this season and have half the year to go. So, this isn't likely to come true either.

6. Isles will give up 7 or more goals in at least 10 games

Hasn't happened once.

7. Eberle doesn't get 40 points

He's on pace for more than 20 points. He needs 11 more points in the last 41 games to hit that mark.

8. Despite bad season Weight and Snow remain

Too early to call.

If you consider being wrong about nearly everything and being right about not a single thing as close, sure, you were real close. :laugh:

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Weren't too far off?

Despite being terrible, this still isn't true or close to being true.

Kulemin had 1 goal in his 13 games, which isn't even close to the pace you predicted.

Too early to call.

Toews hasn't been called up and de Haan hasn't been traded. There's no way something didn't happen can be considered "close" to happening in this scenario.

They've been in 7 fights already this season and have half the year to go. So, this isn't likely to come true either.

Hasn't happened once.

He's on pace for more than 20 points. He needs 11 more points in the last 41 games to hit that mark.

Too early to call.

If you consider being wrong about nearly everything and being right about not a single thing as close, sure, you were real close. :laugh:
You forgot about all the Alan Quine erotica

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1