Islanders bold predictions

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Ok, that's bold. Those are two teams I see getting back into the thick of things.

I feel Dallas improved barely and Calgary improved slightly. I think Chicago bounces back and LA and St. Louis will be significantly better. I think Arizona vastly improves and even Vancouver. I think Vegas and Minnesota drop (not sure to what degree).

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Not necessarily a prediction, but make no mistake, as far as competing (and I list them in opposite order) here is what needs to happen IMO:

10. DEFENSE- Trotz gets this defense to look better than expected. It simply can’t be worse than last year, and I don't think he will tolerate anything but a major improvement. System and coaching alone (especially compared to the horrid glass defense of last year) should drastically improve the defense, which is why I ranked it so low

9. Ladd and Nelson exceeding expectations- Listed so low because I simply don't see it. Sure, Nelson is more than capable of returning to 20 goals and threatening 50 points, but only a breakout from #1 on this list will make exceeding that happen. Ladd returning to his old 50pt self in Winnipeg? Um, he hasn't sniffed 40 since 2014. A 20/20 season would be nothing short of a miracle. 90 pts from this duo is EXCEEDING

8. Improvements in Net- Much like #10 it can’t be any worse. Greiss can’t possibly be this bad, can he? Anything in between his two previous two seasons (.920 save pct, facing around 30 shots) will be night and day from last season (.892 save pct facing 35 shots). How he managed to win 13 of his starts last season was a feat in itself. Lehner is a career .915 save pct goalie (almost identical to the departed Halak) and that is playing for one of the worse defensive teams out there. We need that .915-.920 save percentage from these two and it begins with getting those shots down- which I am sure Trotz knows about

7. The Rise of Pulock and Beauvillier- Both showed glimpses of what they are capable of and now it is time for the next step. For Ryan it is showing he belongs in that top 4 on the blue line both offensively and defensively and obviously for Anthony is him entrenching himself alongside Barzal on the top line. Want to compete in 2018 and offset that sting of he should not be named jumping ship- it begins with 30 and 30 for these two. Goals for Beau and assists for Pulock- something both are more than capable of doing (btw an even descent shooting percentage from Ryan could net 45 plus points)

6. New heights for #13- The 21-year old Calder Trophy winner led the team in points and assists, and it isn't just about repeating his point per game rookie season, but rather he has to take the reins completely. 37 goals went north and I am not asking necessarily for a century season from the youngster, but a 30/60 output is the expectation...especially the 30 part from a team lacking in true centers, much less centers who can score

5. No major slide from L, E and B- 74 goals the last two seasons from Anders Lee, a fifth straight season of 50 plus points per 80 for Jordan Eberle and a career season from Josh Bailey with 71 points. We know all of this isn't going to happen again, and that is ok...we would settle for 10 less goals from AL (still netting him 30), a return to Josh's previous season (still getting 55-60 points) and Jordan holding serve.

4. TOUGHNESS- Sure, one could argue I am repeating number 10- but I am talking about from our forwards as well, so it is a little different. How bad was it last season as a team? We gave up 35.6 shots per game, which equaled 3.57 goals allowed per game. Hits were way down, our penalty killing was dead last in the league at 73.2%. We weren’t drawing penalties, nor were we making any. In other words we were soft. You can’t give your opponents over 4 more shots (4.2- second only to the Rangers) per game and expect to win. There is a reason Lou brought back Martin and Johnston, and collectively as a team we have to get tougher.

3. That third line- Let’s face it, by bringing back Nelson; the top two lines are all but certain. Beauviller-Barzal-Eberle will lead the first line and Brock will likely center between Lee and Bailey on the second. Question remains who step up to form that third line? With the return of Martin joining Casey Cizikas and Cal Clutterbuck for the fourth line it leaves a host of contenders battling it out for the third. Ladd figures to have a leg up on the left side as several will battle it out to center it and join him on the other side. Any regressions (and some should be expected as mentioned above) from the Top 6 makes it that much more vital in somewhat a success evolving on this line. Lou brought in a handful of newcomers including Jan Kovar, Valtteri Filppula and Leo Komarov to make something stick.

2. Leddy, Leddy, Leddy- Minus 42? That has got to be a misprint, right? This from a guy who was +15 in 500 career games prior?? I dint even recognize #2 last season. Make no mistake, if Nick doesn’t return to form- we are absolutely toast. We know he is good for 30 plus assists, but he needs to embrace this new system on the blue line and lead us all the way back. One could easily argue this should be #1 in importance.

1. Ho-Sang and the kiddos- Barring Wahlstrom shocking all of us and sporting an Islander uni this season- no one, and I mean no one means more to the Islanders success this year than Josh Ho-Sang. It does say “and the kiddos” because we are a team (whether we want to face it or not) that is building with its future, and next season needs to continue to show that. First, fans nee to accept that once Pajama Boy stabbed us in the back, this is exactly where we landed- building from our youth. New stadium in the works, a stud Calder winner leading the charge and an impressive first draft from a successful GM and a new head coach who knows how to win. So yes, it also means someone from a group of Devin Toews, Sebastian Aho, Yannick Rathgeb, David Quenneville or Robin Salo stepping up on the blue line and sure it would be great if Keiffer Bellows was ready to join a line or goalie Linus Soderstrom proved he was ready by mid-season in net…but the thing is Ho-Sang has already shown what he can do in the NHL. Trotz needs to get his head right, because having Josh in the Top 6 by season’s end would mean talent won over attitude and we need this.

Successful Season Stats Projection:

C Mathew Barzal 31 goals- 60 assists- 91 points (+8)
LW Anthony Beauvillier 28-22-50 (+4)
RW Jordan Eberle 23-47-70 (+7)

C Brock Nelson 12-12-24 (-1) (traded)
C Jan Kovar 10-18-28 (-1)
LW Josh Bailey 15-45-60 (-8)
RW Anders Lee 31-23-54 (-15)

C Leo Komarov 14-15-29 (E)
LW Andrew Ladd 20-15-35 (+3)
RW Josh Ho-Sang 15-25-40 (-3)

C Casey Cizikas 7-18-25 (+5)
LW Matt Martin 5-6-11 (-3)
RW Cal Clutterbuck 6-14-20 (-4)

Valterri Filppula 8-15-23 (+15)
Keiffer Bellows 5-5-10 (-4)
Tom Kuhnhackl 3-7-10 (E)

Nick Leddy 7-33-40 (-1)
Johnny Boychuck 5-12-17 (+16)

Ryan Pulock 11-31-42 (+1)
Adam Pelech 3-20-23 (+8)

Thomas Hickey 4-16-20 (+10)
Scott Mayfield 1-12-12 (-4)

Devin Toews 3-8-11 (-1)
Sebastian Aho 2-5-7 (-4)
Ross Johnston 3-7-10 (+3)

Thomas Greiss (40) 21-14-4, 2.65 GAA, .916 Save Pct; 2 SHO
Robin Lehner (38) 20-15-5, 2.77 GAA, .921 Save Pct; 1 SHO
Linus Soderstrom (4) 2-1-0, 2.50 GAA, .923 Save Pct; 1 SHO

Total Record NY Islanders: 43-30-9; 95 points and 7th seed in playoffs and we actually score 10 more goals than last season (274) while allowing 55 less (241) for a +33

Not impossible. A safe bet would be 80 points, but I am hoping for the best- and those 10 things are paramount

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Brock Nelson is our new 1st line center

Pulock is getting traded before the start of the season

Söderström moves back to Sweden before Christmas

Dal Colle - 20 points in the NHL

Islanders is making the playoffs

Hagstrom

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Tavares wins the Art Ross and/or the Hart
Ho-Sang get 50-60 points
Pulock qb's the 1st PP unit by the end of the season
Ladd nets 30 goals for the first time in his nhl career
Lee hits 40 goals
Eberle comes close to his sophomore season point total
Well... Lee hit 40 goals at least

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Isles won't be a wild card team for a very long time.

Babcock gets fired

JT wishes he never left

Buffalo still out of the playoffs for the following season

Metro will be a sick conference again with Rangers finishing last for the next 2-3 years, Caps slowly decline, Devils come in 3rd overall..Pens Wild card next year and slowly decline for the next 2 years, then bounceback.

Jets make major trade next 2 years (blockbuster)

Edmonton still won't figure it out.

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
Good call!
Appreciate the shoutout. I remain astounded at how well the group internalized the teachings of Father Barry. I did not expect playoffs; not even Al Arbour got them there the year their GA dropped by 100 (1973-74). This team has more than adequate offensive talent and the D-men group is just wonderful. And the goalkeeping!

Thanks again.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Prediction we finish 3rd in our division beating out Philly by one point, and lose first round to Pittsburgh

Cup prediction - Pittsburgh over Colorado

Darn this is what I predicted hmm, got the first round matchup right... we just finished 2nd.... Colorado in the cup, is very likely though

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
The amount of negativity was pretty strong, no one saw what we have seen this season. There is a reason why they play the games.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
1. We make the playoffs

- Lou brought in other players...NOT because they're awesome, but because for him to implement a new culture, it's more difficult being one person, so he brought on key people (who already know the culture) to help hash out the framework for other players to follow or this culture change would take 3 times as long to implement and get everyone integrated. These guys are NHLers, but can easily get outbeat by younger prospect talent, so he purposely left the barrier to entry weak to give prospects a push to make the team.

Guys at the Hockey News think Isles will be second last only because Ottawa's tyre fire is too much and they'll beat us to the bottom. It seems so biased if you ask me. We lost one good player...but he wasn't a Lafontaine who was THE TEAM. We have 8+ players on our team that can easily score ore than 20 goals this year and our D only sucks when we have injuries because we lack proper depth and high end D. NOT because out D is ****.

2. Kovar will be our Kucherov/Kuznetsov. Why do people think Kovar, who has shown success in arguably the second best league in the world is going to suck?

3. Pelech, Mayfield will surprise 30+ points each

4. Pulock 55 points

5. Bailey 55 Points

6. Ladd 50 points

7. We are going to see MDC up one more time

8. Ho-Sang will get a legit shot

9. If we don't make the playoffs, it will be because of injuries.

Minus the Kovar love this is very well done.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
- We'll have many phases where we have considerable problems scoring goals.
- Power play will eventually be as good as it was last season (which isn't saying too much).
- We will be light years better defensively than last season and lose the majority of our losses by 2-1, 3-2, 4-2 style outcomes.
- We'll have the most penalty minutes in the league and games where we fall behind 3-0 or 4-1 will become very entertaining from a physical standpoint.
- Barzal will lead the team in scoring, but will have less than 70 points.
- We will not end the season with both Lee and Eberle on the roster.
- Our best defenseman will be a guy who is not currently on the roster.
- Ho-Sang will be a factor this year and will be the Star of the Game on 4 separate occasions.
- The most pleasant surprise this season will be Valteri Filppula.
- Kovar will not end the season in an Islanders uniform.
- Most importantly, fans and media will "identify" with this team and what is being built here.

OUTCOME BAROMETER:
Italics = Right or pretty much right
Normal = You decide
Bold = Wrong

PS) The "you decide" sentences are:
- Our best defenseman will be a guy who is not currently on the roster.
- The most pleasant surprise this season will be Valteri Filppula.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The amount of negativity was pretty strong, no one saw what we have seen this season. There is a reason why they play the games.
I disagree. I think a lot of those predictions were positive, but not insane.

Predicting a drop of 30 goals allowed was reasonable. Predicting a drop of 50 was bold. Nobody in their right mind (TWS, put your hand down!) would predict a drop of 100, or going from worst to first.

Predicting a WC spot was bold. Anyone predicting a first round sweep of Pittsburgh would have been sent to the funny farm.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I disagree. I think a lot of those predictions were positive, but not insane.

Predicting a drop of 30 goals allowed was reasonable. Predicting a drop of 50 was bold. Nobody in their right mind (TWS, put your hand down!) would predict a drop of 100, or going from worst to first.

Predicting a WC spot was bold. Anyone predicting a first round sweep of Pittsburgh would have been sent to the funny farm.

I don't drink so I can't say I was ever drunk enough to post a 31st to #1 in GA. ;)

Well I don't drink regularly that is. Don't want to sound too boring.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
amazing how high everyone was about Ho-Sang, and I can't say I blame them, he has looked good in his brief NHL tenure, he probably should be on the roster now considering how awful the offense is

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'll have what he's having but make it a double . Then later in the evening it turns into - "Mr Occifer , I don't dink, I'm tobally sobillar."

LGI

P.S. - you are never boring sir
Starkle, starkle, little twink,
Who the heck you are, you think?
I'm not under the affluence of incohol,
Though some thinkle peep I'm all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad