Post-Game Talk: Islanders 4, Penguins 1 - Was It Over When The Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As I said, we're 60 minutes from an entertaining (and frightening) summer.
Mostly frightening.

Very frightening. We might lose guys this team needs to keep and be stuck with the ones we should have moved. Just based on Coach & GM's biases so far.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Teams go on stretches, hot and cold. The bigger picture is the multi-year long sample size with regard to the issues that've plagued this team, even going back to the second of back to backs. That is a direct result of the direction JR has taken in terms of building this team.

We're old. We're incapable of playing the style we need to because the blueline, outside of Dumo and Letang, is woeful in transition. We got complacent and lazy at forward. We need to get younger, hungry guys to replace the Phils and the Hornys.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Meh as you said before, we are 60 minutes away from me getting a **** load more tennis in than I'm used to. :laugh:

French Open, Wimbledon....lot of good tennis to watch as well

Boy, the hometown sports teams really blow in 2018-19...it’s very depressing..

Reactions: ColePens

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Meh as you said before, we are 60 minutes away from me getting a **** load more tennis in than I'm used to. :laugh:

You know, hindsight being 20/20, the retool needed to start after the B2B. They'd played so much hockey and taken such a beating and were otherwise so drained. Instead, JR went the other way. He tried to keep the band together while also starting to abandon the philosophy that led to 2 cups. And now, 22 months later, we are AT BEST right back where we were 4 years ago . . . except Sid and Geno are 4 years older, the league is faster and more defensively structured, we have less youth in the cupboard, and JR has fewer assets at his disposal to move.

Reactions: icon6668

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Let’s be honest. Despite some luck with trades. This is the team that JR has iced three of the five seasons he has been here.

Granted back to back is incredible. But even in 2017 this team wasn’t that great.

I disagree, the 17 team was elite in everything besides Corsi.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Have you not watched Myers in recent years? He would be another anchor on a ship full of them.
He looked good when I watched him this year. But I’m fine with not signing anyone.

Reactions: BHD

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd really like us to take a hard run at Skinner and Dzingel. Move whatever forwards out you need in order to make that happen.

I have no idea who to go after or how you fix that blueline. Five of our top-7 blueliners are expendable, to put it mildly. JJ, Maatta, Gudbranson, Schultz, and to a lesser extend Petts, can all be replaced without much in the way of concern from me. I've just got no clue who to go after to replace them, or how JR gets it done.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If you get a really solid puck moving dman with speed and Skinner, while keeping McCann/Bjugs AND getting rid of Maatta and another dman.... (JJ) - you hit the f***ing lottery.

Reactions: Lustaf and BHD

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
If that's what you believe, then I'm not even going to bother trying to explain in detail otherwise.

Again, games aren't played on paper. If you think the roster is dramatically better on paper than it is on the ice, it just means that you have an inaccurate view of the team on paper.

I think frustration of losing is clouding our view of the roster. Look at Tampa and where they are which the roster they have. It’s probably time for Cooper to go.

Maybe someone can explain how we are dramatically different from the pieces during our 2nd cup where we didn’t have Letang.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Atleast we aren't Tampa. LOL!

I mean this when I say people have NO clue how hard it is to pull the trigger when you have it loaded. The Pens did it. To effectively get 3 Cups in this era is nothing short of a miracle and a blessing.

I'm frustrated right now, but people just dont' realize how f***ing hard it really is.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
As I said, we're 60 minutes from an entertaining (and frightening) summer.

They probably aren't going to fix everything they need to in the off-season. I am however, optimistic they will make some steps in the right direction. A small step forward toward a final run with this core.

I'm also excited about our 1st this year.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I mean this when I say people have NO clue how hard it is to pull the trigger when you have it loaded. The Pens did it. To effectively get 3 Cups in this era is nothing short of a miracle and a blessing.

I'm frustrated right now, but people just dont' realize how ****ing hard it really is.
If all we get are 3 cups then so be it, although I want more and want it every year of course.

Reactions: Lustaf and KIRK

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
think the ultimate issue is between JR and Sullivan.
I think there's quite a bit of truth to this. It's easy to blame Sully or the players, and you (in the general sense, not you specifically) wouldn't be wrong in putting some of the blame on their shoulders, but it's impossible to do what Sully's been doing for years with the roster JR's given him.

It's as if there's absolutely no communication between Sully and JR, and JR just goes after random guys without any regard to his coach's system, or the style of the NHL nowadays. :laugh: Just a rudderless ship.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think frustration of losing is clouding our view of the roster. Look at Tampa and where they are which the roster they have. It’s probably time for Cooper to go.

Maybe someone can explain how we are dramatically different from the pieces during our 2nd cup where we didn’t have Letang.

I can pretty easily.

Crosby, Malkin and Kessel are 2 years older.
Schultz, Rust, Hornqvist, Dumoulin and Murray are nothing compared to what they were in 2017 (comparing both Murray/Fleury in 2017 to Murray in 2019)
Simon is no Sheary, ZAR is no Kunitz, Johnson is no Cole and Gudbranson is no Daley

That 2017 team was carried by opportunistic scoring and goalies pulling rabbits out of their asses. This team can't score and doesn't have the goaltending to steal a series, combined with all of the problems of the 2017 team. Not exactly a recipe for success. This team just isn't very good. I'm not mad about it, I'm not upset about it. It is what it is.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

It isn't about frustration.

It's about acceptance.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I'm frustrated right now, but people just dont' realize how ****ing hard it really is.

Amen.

Plus people don't appreciate that there would be a price to pay for that deal you made with the devil for that 2017 cup. :razz:

Reactions: BHD

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

That's fair, but it does nothing for the discussion of what the issues are and how to go about fixing them.

I'll be pretty bummed if we keep going on this trajectory and when JR is interviewed after another lackluster season, his answer is "We won back to backs a few years ago. It's all gravy, baby." :laugh:

To this board's credit though, most of the discussion's been pretty level-headed and civil. At least the stuff I've seen and participated in.

Lukin1978

Feb 27, 2008
The North
tenor (6).gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad