Sportsnet: Islanders ‘likely to offer’ 8-year deal to John Tavares

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Definitely agree with the trade offer.

Can the Islanders afford to pay him $10M per year for 8 years? I don't know.

I think Montreal should go for him and give him the same contract as Anze Kopitar signed last July.

$80M per year for 8 years. In an ideal world, I would give him Patrice Bergeron contract but I think Montreal should do whatever it takes to sign him. He's gonna be 27 and can give us at least 5 good years of what we have never had for the past 15 years.

Tavares
Weber
Price

NYI gets 2 promising young stars in Galchenyuk and Sergachev + 1st rounder 2017 (24th-ish overall)

What does NYI think of this? ******If JT doesn't sign with the Islanders*****

Those $640 million contracts always come back to haunt you in the end. :laugh:

Prediction: Jt will re-sign with the Isles for around $10 mil per, and every other fanbase will call the contract 'brutal'. Ho-Hum. Same-old same-old here on HfBoards.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Those $640 million contracts always come back to haunt you in the end. :laugh:

Prediction: Jt will re-sign with the Isles for around $10 mil per, and every other fanbase will call the contract 'brutal'. Ho-Hum. Same-old same-old here on HfBoards.

Dude, whatever it takes to sign JT in Montreal hahaha

My bad. Typo. $80M for 8 years. $10M per year.;)

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Am I the only Leafs fan who doesn't want Tavares? We've got a lot of young studs who are going to require huge raises. I pass on Tavares.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
On the bolded - my understanding is that deal fell apart because Shattenkirk wouldn't sign an extension, not because STL wanted a better return. And didn't ROR sign an extension just after the deal to BUFF? In those cases, the organization was willing to move "prime" assets for guys they were going to lock up, so JT would have to be willing to sign with the acquiring team for that type of deal to work.

Maybe it's my fault....but I don't think you fully understood my post.

My point was that if Tavares is traded, he won't be a rental. He'll be traded to somewhere he wants to go and the team will have reasonable expectation that he will extend.

Tavares will play ball because extending prior to the season is very very valuable. It allows him to sign a 7 year 10M AAV contract and get 70M guaranteed without risking breaking his leg or under performing.

So any team trading for Tavares won't be paying value equal to getting only 1 year of Tavares. If a team like TOR wants him, the ask probably starts with Marner or Nylander, which given TOR already has Matthews and has other needs from a team building standpoint wouldn't be the best move.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
considering wherever he gets traded will have a extension in place it would cost as much as a long term signed player. I think the 1 year left argument to evaluate value since its a top level player that a team will want to extend when they trade for them

I see him either resigning or going to Montreal. As for Toronto i see no reason for them to go after him since he will get traded this summer if he doesn't extend and again 8.5-10 per year is what he will get. Ties up a lot of cap with young players to sign in the future.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Tavares, Kopitar and Toews just aren't worth $10 million AAV

:shakehead:shakehead

It's a function of the CBA: players don't reach UFA until their late 20s and most UFAs are blegh so the good ones get overvalued. As a bonus JT is a #1 center and a few teams don't have that so this happens. On the plus side, JT will be in his late 20s and early 30s for this deal so it's not as bad as giving a guy 7 years after he's on the wrong side of 30.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
I guess this is the part where we find out if Tavares is a winner or the next Shane Doan. I can't see how the Isles can be close to competitive with this ownership/management group.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
They have to hang onto Tavares he's the face of the franchise. Would be interesting to listen to offers from teams needing a #1 center though, there would be some interesting offers i'm sure.
Habs and Blues are 2 teams that should have interest, anyone else like maybe Carolina or Ottawa(might be too rich for their blood) perhaps?

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Tavares, Kopitar and Toews just aren't worth $10 million AAV

:shakehead:shakehead

There's a lot of players in the NHL who aren't worth their contract. If the market is high on them, then teams are gonna have to pay the price.

David Clarkson's cap is near the $5.25M
Dion Phaneuf's $7M
Dustin Brown's almost $6M
Ryan Callahan almost $6M
Jordan Staal $6M
RNH $6M
Pominville $5.6M
Cammalleri $5M
Grabovski $5M
Marleau $6-7M
Stastny $7M

etc.

JT's value is higher than all of the above. Why can't he be worth $10M per year?

You can negotiate to give him somewhat similar than Stamkos. But Tavares is healthier than Stammer.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Please don't generalize. JT is amazing but doesn't really fill a need for us and we have our #1C now. Most Leaf fans realize it would be poor cap allocation at this point.

Our biggest need is on defense.

It's really only the hockey media that points to Toronto as a Tavares landing spot. Why they still do that when everybody and their mother knows Toronto's offense is pretty much set is beyond me.

Give them one more top pairing D and one second pairing D and they're a legitimate Cup threat year after year

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The islanders are in a weird spot. If they pay Tavares 10M combined with already paying Ladd, Boychuk and Leddy large amounts for players ranging from disappointing to only pretty good then I really can't see them being much of a contender. At the same time if they don't sign Tavares they are going to have to embrace another rebuild which at the end of the day might be the right choice, but certainly won't sit well with the fan base who already endured a rebuild not long ago.

Tough decisions for them to make.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
There's a lot of players in the NHL who aren't worth their contract. If the market is high on them, then teams are gonna have to pay the price.

Dion Phaneuf's $7M
Ryan Callahan almost $6M
Jordan Staal $6M
RNH $6M
Pominville $5.6M
Cammalleri $5M
Grabovski $5M
Marleau $6-7M
Stastny $7M

etc.

JT's value is higher than all of the above. Why can't he be worth $10M per year?

You can negotiate to give him somewhat similar than Stamkos. But Tavares is healthier than Stammer.

Now, I'm not suggesting that your 10 million valuation is off, but you can't point at a bunch of garbage contracts as justification for signing someone to any deal. JT's value is higher than a bunch of guys who are paid twice what they should be (or more). That doesn't give any indication as to what his value actually is or should be though.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Trust me, Isles fans aren't going to care whether he signs for $7-8 mil per or $10 mil per. He's worth it to that organization and that's all that really matters.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

Dion Phaneuf's $7M
Ryan Callahan almost $6M
Jordan Staal $6M
RNH $6M
Pominville $5.6M
Cammalleri $5M
Grabovski $5M
Marleau $6-7M
Stastny $7M

etc.

Just because other GM's suck at their job doesn't mean the islanders GM has to as well

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Just because other GM's suck at their job doesn't mean the islanders GM has to as well

Every year the cap increases, or almost every year.

JT can ask for $10M to the Islanders based on the simple fact that he carries this team ever since his arrival in the league.

In an ideal world, give him the type of contract of what Patrice Bergeron has. $6.85M cap hit on average for 8 years. But pay JT 8.75-9M in the first years of his contract and less after.

That would be his value IMO.

Patrice is a star in the league and has won almost everything: Gold medal, World Cup, Stanley Cup and multiple Selke. 60 pts player in the league but responsible as ****.

JT is in that ballpark IMO.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I think this is a meme at this point as hardly anyone purposes this. We know getting JT means losing a significant forward in the future due to money. As much as JT is great and I would take him, at this point in his career, he's already in his prime and by the time of his new contract will have peaked and start declining in a few years, while making a ton of money.

I think Nylander/Marner can produce as much as he does, and be similar level players in every regard as Tavares isn't exactly a stud in area's other than offense and is average defensively if we are being really generous. The icing on the cake is they'll prob be 2-3 mil cheaper as well.

So yeah, Tavares is great, would love to have him, but theres no space for him with his future cap hit considering other options, and other teams can easily out bid the Leafs. I think we see a team like St. Louis, Nashville, Flyers, Carolina etc who have solid teams with good defense but want to bolster their center group make a play.

:handclap: your posts often make me giggle

ZINFINITY16

Dec 29, 2013
Ontario
Nylander and Marner can produce as much as Tavares and be as good as him in non-scoring areas? You heard it here first! Nylander and Marner are both gonna be as good as Tavares! Might as well hand over the next dozen Cups to the Leafs!

What an arrogant, idiotic statement.

LOL you must be fun at parties. What part is arrogant or idiotic? You're the dumb one....
Marner and Nylander both had 5 less points than Tavares this year. While being over 5 years younger, so yes it's fair to assume they're going to be just as good as Tavares.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
10 mill is fine for JT.

Remember a little thing called inflation. When Toews got 10...it was worth more than JT getting 10 now. 10 mill in 8 years won't be the same.. his contract might be slightly above average by that time and I am sure he will be able to stay on top of his game until 34. Many players these days are playing longer (the elite players and I am not talking about Jagr...Thornton is doing just fine).

Also..JT has not peaked...I think he has at least another 3-4 years of high end scoring left in him if not more...he is not injury prone...he's quite a solid player...look at how much he weighs!

The problem with JT is that he's stuck with half assed players or players that are too young to know how to use him. If he had wingers..(I wish Capuano had used Nielsen on first line)...he would be a 90+ point player and I am not exaggerating.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
LOL you must be fun at parties. What part is arrogant or idiotic? You're the dumb one....
Marner and Nylander both had 5 less points than Tavares this year. While being over 5 years younger, so yes it's fair to assume they're going to be just as good as Tavares.

Yes, but Marner and Nylander are playing with talent...JT isn't

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad