Sportsnet: Islanders ‘likely to offer’ 8-year deal to John Tavares

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
If he doesn't take the Isles' offer they obviously have to trade him and no team is trading for him as a one year rental - like the ROR trade it will be a hockey trade to a team he's ready to sign a deal with. Buffalo traded Nikita Zadorov, Mikhail Grigorenko, J.T. Compher and the No. 31 pick.

Toronto makes sense, they could trade Nylander, a 1st rounder, and one of their defense prospects, Dermott or Nielsen. Seems fair considering they're getting a superstar who's still pretty young.

For Leafs fans who figure they can wait and sign him for free as a UFA, i highly doubt he gets to UFA status.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I mean, I don't see why they wouldn't take a package of

Fabbri- 55-65pt potential winger with possibility to move to center.
Barbashev- 35-50pt potential two-way C
Schmaltz- 30-35pt potential offensive RHD
Back to back years of 1sts

Because you don't trade a franchise player for a package of middling players. Fabbri is a good player, but outside of him there's not much there. Isles have a deep prospect pool, picks aren't exactly what they would be looking for. Isles need good young players that could be top line players one day.

If it was a sign and trade the isles would get full value for JT, and at full value a young defenseman like Parayko has to be coming back.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If he doesn't take the Isles' offer they obviously have to trade him and no team is trading for him as a one year rental - like the ROR trade it will be a hockey trade to a team he's ready to sign a deal with. Buffalo traded Nikita Zadorov, Mikhail Grigorenko, J.T. Compher and the No. 31 pick.

Toronto makes sense, they could trade Nylander, a 1st rounder, and one of their defense prospects, Dermott or Nielsen. Seems fair considering they're getting a superstar who's still pretty young.

For Leafs fans who figure they can wait and sign him for free as a UFA, i highly doubt he gets to UFA status.

What part of that makes sense for Toronto?

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Nice keep this guy in New York for good. Good for us that he doesn't want to join us, this guy is going to screw any team up.

ZINFINITY16

Dec 29, 2013
Ontario
Ah Leafs fans. Everywhere with their "OUR ROOKIES WILL KEEP THIS PRODUCTION UP AND ONLY IMPROVE".

Tavares is better. I wouldn't trade him for Marner AND Nylander. No GM would.

aha..? this is a joke right? post this on the main board as a trade proposal i guarantee mobody agrees with you

ZINFINITY16

Dec 29, 2013
Ontario
Tavares being 26 makes the 8 years more understandable. However, I really don't see why the Islanders would sign him to that big contract. They're very unlikely to win the cup in the next few years where JT is in his prime and you're paying for that prime. So, if you're not winning then make a huge trade, collect some good assets and finish off this semi rebuild with all the good young pieces they have

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Tavares being 26 makes the 8 years more understandable. However, I really don't see why the Islanders would sign him to that big contract. They're very unlikely to win the cup in the next few years where JT is in his prime and you're paying for that prime. So, if you're not winning then make a huge trade, collect some good assets and finish off this semi rebuild with all the good young pieces they have

didn't know you could see into the future.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I hope he is watching the sens play. we would love him here.

They have no money. Budget team, have Ryan and Phaneuf making nearly 15M.

If Tavares doesn't sign with NYI, I can see him going to Montreal to recreate some Team Canada magic.

Weber, Tavares, Price? They would still lack depth but at least have a star at every position.

I'm 99% sure Tavares will re-sign in NYI and regret it in a couple years. He seems like a loyal guy and will go down with the ship in NYI.

Oh I get it - John Tavares for Kapanen, Carrick and a 2nd rounder. That makes sense. :laugh:

We don't want Tavares. He's no longer needed anymore. We have so many centres, some of them are forced to play wing. Leafs were after Stamkos only because we had no idea what to expect from our rookies. Now we know how good they are. Only way we sign Tavares is if he's a UFA and willing to take a pay cut. Neither of those will happen. He's not going to take a pay cut on his biggest contract after a 5.5M contract.

Look at Kovalchuk trade btw, you could do a lot worse than Kapanen in a trade for a rental Tavares BTW.

The only UFA we will be ready to overpay for would be Doughty if he makes it that far. Centres and wingers? Pass. Leafs are set for a decade offensively, we can score 3-3.25 g/p with relative ease. Defense is what needs to get better.

Last edited:

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
They have no money. Budget team, have Ryan and Phaneuf making nearly 15M.

If Tavares doesn't sign with NYI, I can see him going to Montreal to recreate some Team Canada magic.

Weber, Tavares, Price? They would still lack depth but at least have a star at every position.

I'm 99% sure Tavares will re-sign in NYI and regret it in a couple years. He seems like a loyal guy and will go down with the ship in NYI.

that sinking ship, you know, with the top 10 prospect pool they have.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
he wouldn't say that he has some things to think over and decide about? it's not like he said the isles suck and he wants to leave, despite the common hfboards belief.

No, he acted like a pro, regardless of what he might think about the state of the team. If you offer him that 10 million for 8 yrs.......at some point you are going to suffer Dan Girardi/M. Staal syndrome and have that cap anchor with a 32yr old+ player.

I'm not arguing that JT is a good player, he is an awesome player, but he is not a 10 million dollar player. There are only a few of those in the league. If that is what it is going to take to keep him, you have to wonder about where his head is at. To a guy who has made a ton of money, what is the difference between 7.5 million and 10 million......in reality? No home team discount?

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
No, he acted like a pro, regardless of what he might think about the state of the team. If you offer him that 10 million for 8 yrs.......at some point you are going to suffer Dan Girardi/M. Staal syndrome and have that cap anchor with a 32yr old+ player.

I'm not arguing that JT is a good player, he is an awesome player, but he is not a 10 million dollar player. There are only a few of those in the league. If that is what it is going to take to keep him, you have to wonder about where his head is at. To a guy who has made a ton of money, what is the difference between 7.5 million and 10 million......in reality? No home team discount?

don't think there is, and honestly i think jt is a guy who would take a discount, but why would you take one if you don't have to. just think about your own job, if you got less money than you felt you deserved i doubt you would be happy about it.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
don't think there is, and honestly i think jt is a guy who would take a discount, but why would you take one if you don't have to. just think about your own job, if you got less money than you felt you deserved i doubt you would be happy about it.

If I was a multi millionaire, it would be a lot easier to take a little less if I consider that might help the GM make other moves to make the franchise successful.

I think the reason JT needs to take time to decide is because he took less last contract based on that premise and Snow didn't really improve the team. With 6 or 7 seasons under his belt and 1 playoff series win in that time, he might be more interested in winning. I would be too, considering I made some good money along the way. He is going to get paid by any team that gets him at this point. This one is about winning and his assessment of the state of the team and GM.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
that sinking ship, you know, with the top 10 prospect pool they have.

Yes, sinking ship. Prime years from players are 23-26. Prospect pool is young, by the time they hit their prime, Tavares will be 31.

I don't see a single game breaking prospect on the Isles. Beauviellier, Ho Sang, Barzal etc are going to be good top nine players but expecting them to become stars is unrealistic. MDC is half way to bust.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
easily worth it. you pay your stars.

too bad snow thinks clutterbuck is a star, too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad