Sportsnet: Islanders ‘likely to offer’ 8-year deal to John Tavares

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
10 million per for 8yrs is a lot of money to spend on a guy who never scored more than 38 goals in the NHL. I like JT but I think the Isles need to move him to the highest bidder.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
10 million per for 8yrs is a lot of money to spend on a guy who never scored more than 38 goals in the NHL. I like JT but I think the Isles need to move him to the highest bidder.

you can't seriously think that the isles should trade tavares because of the money he wants.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
For both competitive and fan-interest reasons, the Islanders can't let Tavares leave. A slight overpayment is more than worth it for the Isles.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Ah Leafs fans. Everywhere with their "OUR ROOKIES WILL KEEP THIS PRODUCTION UP AND ONLY IMPROVE".

Tavares is better. I wouldn't trade him for Marner AND Nylander. No GM would.

Hahahaha. Not one gm in the league would turn that down. :laugh:

austonmatthews

Sep 18, 2016
in 2017 they will be paying 10M combined to nick leddy and andrew ladd

yet giving 10m to tavares is a problem?

i can't understand how anyone sees this as a bad move tbh

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
JT also played with a fractured hand this season. He's a top player and will get close to 10 million a season wherever he ends up.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
you can't seriously think that the isles should trade tavares because of the money he wants.

If that is really what he wants, he likely isn't too interested in being an Islander. I know he is your captain and heart and soul......one would think if he wanted to stay he wouldn't be making comments like he did the other day regarding having to decide on his future.

Harlyy35

May 6, 2017
It makes no sense for jt to leave now when all the prospects are ready not to mention theyre gonna have a tonnn of cap space comes next year so i dont see him leaving. Sorry people

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
You non-Isles fans really crack me up. So the Isles would be foolish to sign him for $8-10 mil per so they should trade him. And then some other team will sign him and pay him....wait for it....

$8-10 mil per year.

Gotta love HfBoards, home of the homer. I.e.: "Whatever contract your player just signed is BRUTAL, just BRUTAL".

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
If that is really what he wants, he likely isn't too interested in being an Islander. I know he is your captain and heart and soul......one would think if he wanted to stay he wouldn't be making comments like he did the other day regarding having to decide on his future.

he wouldn't say that he has some things to think over and decide about? it's not like he said the isles suck and he wants to leave, despite the common hfboards belief.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Fake news. We knew the Isles would do this. They have to offer $1 more than anyone else.

Now its on JT if he wants to win or get paid. I could seem him taking 7X$8 or 7X$9 to sign with a franchise on the uptick.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
If true, huge mistake. Teams and their fans need to learn how to say goodbye to their stars at the appropriate time - and if Tavares needs $10M and 8 years then the appropriate time is now for the Islanders.

I totally agree with this. However very hard to do especially in the current state of NYI. Losing Tavares may be very detrimental. NJ has been practicing this for a while and for the most part has worked for them

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Why would he want to stay with the Islanders ? He took a discount 1st contract so they could build a winner and the Islanders abused that stayed well under cap never gave him any elite wingers to play with. i can see why he would be very hesitant to sign long term with the team.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
aren't the Isles not even allowed to sign him until July 1st?

I don't see this as a story at this point. He'll probably sign with the Isles very quickly.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Saw it asked on pages back and STL has been mentioned a few times, but how about

Fabbri
Barbashev
Schmaltz
Lehtera(cap dump)
2017 STL 1st
2018 WSH 2nd

For

Extended JT @ 8yr/$70mil

Schwartz-Tavares-Tarasenko
Steen-Stastny-Perron
Berglund-Sobotka-Sanford/Paajarvi/UFA

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Can't believe there's actually people in here saying Tavares doesn't deserve $10mil per year for 8 years. The guy is the Islanders and has done everything for this team. He's singlhandedly carried them since he was drafted and it's not his fault he was never surrounded with great talent. He'd be worth every penny of that contract.

Some of you guys make it so obvious that you don't actually watch the Isles.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
aren't the Isles not even allowed to sign him until July 1st?

I don't see this as a story at this point. He'll probably sign with the Isles very quickly.

Yes they technically can't sign a deal till July 1 but they can have a verbal agreement before then. As for it not being a story I can live with that but if that is the case can sportsnet and TSN stop coming up with stupid articles why Canadian teams should trade for Tavares(that are nothing more then opinion based on absolutely nothing). I am looking at you Darren Dreger who for a few years has been pushing anti Tavares/NYI stories just for the sake of getting web hits(yes I still hold a grudge from his comments a few years back where he wrote how Tavares MIGHT want out of NY that was based on absolutely nothing other then him being bored and coming up with hypotheticals of how Toronto could get Tavares, or as he refered to it "a feeling")

Last edited:

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
You need to compare the positive and the negative of not resigning him and will be quite obvious. Isles can't afford to lose him because they are not a big market team which can tolerate a slow rebuild over the next 5 years. Isles already have issues with the arena and given that the team just recently changed ownership, losing JT will severely devalue that franchise instantly. Owners always look at the present value of their investment not what may become down the road so no way they will not do all their best to keep JT.

Will JT take less and go somewhere else? The only team I can see to have that happen is mostly likely Preds because of PK and only if the cap fit. If he leaves, he will not want to stay in the same division and likely prefers to go to a Western team so he does not play against his former team that much.

Personally I think that if JT does considers leaving NYI, it will be in his best career interest to sign with the Jets because they have an elite young scoring winger who can help to bring his career to another level and chance to land SC within the next 3 years. Imaging Jets' top 2 lines - they will be able to match what the Oilers have.

Last edited:

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Saw it asked on pages back and STL has been mentioned a few times, but how about

Fabbri
Barbashev
Schmaltz
Lehtera(cap dump)
2017 STL 1st
2018 WSH 2nd

For

Extended JT @ 8yr/$70mil

Schwartz-Tavares-Tarasenko
Steen-Stastny-Perron
Berglund-Sobotka-Sanford/Paajarvi/UFA

No. we're especially not taking a cap dump with this package

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
JT deserves every penny especially considering the sweetheart deal he took in hopes the Isles would be able to contend.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Trade him to the habs for Galchenyuk + Sergachev + 1st + Emelin

I think most islanders fan are fine with that

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Am I the only one here that thinks 10m x 8 isn't bad for Tavares...sure he's not ppg, but he's not far from it. He's also just 26, this contract would bring him to 34 which is great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad