Sportsnet: Islanders ‘likely to offer’ 8-year deal to John Tavares

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-islanders-likely-offer-8-year-deal-john-tavares/

The New York Islanders are likely to offer John Tavares an eight-year deal worth approximately $10 million annually, should he decide a long-term contract with the team, per Arthur Staple of Newsday.

Tavares’ current deal expires in 2018, though Staple reports that Tavares will inform general manager Garth Snow “sometime in the next month†if he is willing to commit to the Islanders long term.

Seems pretty high... Look at Toews already.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
If true, huge mistake. Teams and their fans need to learn how to say goodbye to their stars at the appropriate time - and if Tavares needs $10M and 8 years then the appropriate time is now for the Islanders.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Either you pay, or you don't have a 1C. Given that choice, I would be looking for a pen to sign the check already.

Tavares is a world class player. He deserves a big contract.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Yikes. Great player but he has just never been a $10M player. Especially for a contract that for the majority he'll be on the wrong side of 30.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If true, huge mistake. Teams and their fans need to learn how to say goodbye to their stars at the appropriate time - and if Tavares needs $10M and 8 years then the appropriate time is now for the Islanders.

If they do that say goodbye to the NYI, without him they are the 2016 Leafs

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Bad contract or not..which I don't think it would be too bad... You HAVE to offer it if you're the Isles ... no ifs ands or buts

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
You have to do that, he is the islanders.

You cant let him leave for free

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
If they do that say goodbye to the NYI, without him they are the 2016 Leafs

My point is you get something for them before they leave for nothing. And the Leafs are a good example of what teams like the Islanders should do, rebuild/retool/tank - even though tanking is not as attractive as it was before they changed the lottery.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
NYI should definitely do that - you can't afford to lose a guy like Tavares

Otherwise, Toronto gets a new centre :naughty:

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey

I have no idea how you can come to this conclusion. Of course they're going to offer 8 years and top dollar. He's a top ten, maybe top 5 player in the league on a dumpster fire team with no apparent intention of rebuilding any time soon.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
if he got offered the max 8yrs at 10per no way would he turn that down. only way he does is it he truly doesnt wanna be there anymore and assumes he can get that contract with someone else. still, it'd be foolish to turn down such an offer. take it while its still on the table, you never know what can happen in the near future as far as injuries or anything really. i say he takes it if thats a legit offer being made.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Trade.

How much would Montreal pay for a 1C?

He has 1 year left on his deal.. it's not like we're gonna trade for 5.5M JT. If we trade for him we'll be paying him at full value. That said i'd do Galchenyuk + Sergachev + 1st if there's an extension in place.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
@10Mil a year I think JT can deal with ****** teammates and a crap arena.. Thats like 1.5-2Mil more then any other team will give him (If theyre smart..)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
My point is you get something for them before they leave for nothing. And the Leafs are a good example of what teams like the Islanders should do, rebuild/retool/tank - even though tanking is not as attractive as it was before they changed the lottery.

And I am telling you if they don't extend JT the NYI will no longer exist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad